Thread: Noob to AKKI Camp in March

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Noob to AKKI Camp in March

Hello everyone,

I am looking forward to the AKKI camp in March. Now, I have heard a lot of exciting things about the camps from my instructor. I know that I will learn a lot of material and earn some kenpo tattoos, but, I would like to hear from some other colored belts about their first time being in the camp and what their expectations were and were those expectations met. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MD
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Law Enforcement Asst Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

2. The Following User Says Thank You to masherdong For This Useful Post:

Brother John (03-15-2008)

Thanks

Arrow Re: Noob to AKKI Camp in March

Quote Originally Posted by masherdong View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am looking forward to the AKKI camp in March. Now, I have heard a lot of exciting things about the camps from my instructor. I know that I will learn a lot of material and earn some kenpo tattoos, but, I would like to hear from some other colored belts about their first time being in the camp and what their expectations were and were those expectations met. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MD
    It's awesome. The insights, the applications...I don't know where to start! Since no video or recording is allowed, I'd sugget bringing a notebook. Also, ask you instuctor what he/she would suggest you take (as far as seminars). I've gone to camp twice now, and did the Form I seminar both times. Also did Form II both times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Default Re: Noob to AKKI Camp in March

I've been to two camps now. The first one was really about getting to see Mr. Mills in person and hooking up with my original instructor, Rick Brumby. It was a lot of fun and I really learned Five Swords from Mr. Jacob-I mean REALLY! The second time, I got made fun of a little bit for taking notes ( I couldn't write fast enough!)-but that's when I started to realize that there is a mountain of knowledge these guys/girls have!
    So, anyway, the first one was really about getting all the hands on I could. The second was where I realized how much combined experience was there and that really blew me away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for your input. One of my classmates that I will be traveling with used to be a student of Mr. Brumby's. His name is James Wenz. He was a blue belt with Mr. Brumby about 6-7 years ago. Now he is training with us and he is now a green belt. Looking forward to seeing you there.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

Thanks

It's going to a great camp. Mr. Mills will have had forty years in Kenpo and this will be the tenth year of the AKKI.
    You will definately be hitting harder by the time you leave!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Also, if you really want to find out how deep Mr. Mills is in EPAK, just message Doc sometime.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

thats pretty awesome.. ill prolly msg doc sometime too. i always like hearing what ppl think of Mr Mills. whether good or bad.

i hope ill be able to go. im taking a loan out to go to Ireland in April.. and it turns out i wont need as much as i thought i would. so might take out the same ammount and head to the Camp in march as well

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Whilst the writing of notes can be a drag, it's essential that you record what you learn as there's so much material to take in that it'd be impossible to remember it all.

I have previously tried giving myself some 'quiet time' in my room to re-write my notes each day before hitting the friendly social scene that is also a big part of the camps. (This doesn't always work though, the call of the bar can be strong after a long days training)

Another way of taking the maximum amount of material back to your school/club is to not all do the same seminars. I know you probably came with a friend from your school, and you're sharing a room, but if one of you is taking a seminar on the Cenretline Set and the other is taking say, Form 2 then you can share your knowledge and get greater benefit from the trip.

All being well, I'll see you there.

Les
    I'm only here to learn

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Thank you for your advice Les. I am looking forward to meeting Mr. Mills and everyone else.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

well gl at the camps, I look forward to my 1st visit. I also look forward to being able to start training again. I am also a former student to Mr. Rick Brumby, and will be a student again very soon. So just wanted to say gl at the camps, and say hi to Mike, Its been so long since training but I think I even remember the name James wenz. Btw, Mike this is Jeff Kovach. Hope your having fun in Vegas, I am off to the sunshine state in June, and again will be back training with Mr. Rick..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpodad For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (03-13-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodad View Post
    well gl at the camps, I look forward to my 1st visit. I also look forward to being able to start training again. I am also a former student to Mr. Rick Brumby, and will be a student again very soon. So just wanted to say gl at the camps, and say hi to Mike, Its been so long since training but I think I even remember the name James wenz. Btw, Mike this is Jeff Kovach. Hope your having fun in Vegas, I am off to the sunshine state in June, and again will be back training with Mr. Rick..
    Outstanding, Jeff! Hope to train with you again soon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Hey all! Katrina slowed us down but didn't stop us. Looking forward to seeing everybody. Last time I saw James he was a Zoomie (Air Force) in every sense of the word, including his hands. Kenpodad, start knocking out some ab work and have Josh practice his kicks on your stomach. That should get you ready for Saint Cloud. Mike, you'll be on stage for The Backbreaker so start loosening up your left shoulder and wrist and bring a pillow, you'll be laying on the floor alot. See everybody in two weeks.
    Having Fun In The Sun
    Rick Brumby

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenpokiwi For This Useful Post:

Brother John (03-15-2008),Mikael151 (03-15-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenpokiwi View Post
    Hey all! Katrina slowed us down but didn't stop us. Looking forward to seeing everybody. Last time I saw James he was a Zoomie (Air Force) in every sense of the word, including his hands. Kenpodad, start knocking out some ab work and have Josh practice his kicks on your stomach. That should get you ready for Saint Cloud. Mike, you'll be on stage for The Backbreaker so start loosening up your left shoulder and wrist and bring a pillow, you'll be laying on the floor alot. See everybody in two weeks.
    Having Fun In The Sun
    Rick Brumby
    Mr. Brumby-

I'm very glad to hear that things are going well for you sir!! You're a good man and I'm glad to have gotten to work with you some. If you're ever around the Wichita (central Kansas) area, please give me a heads up so I can set a table for ya....and of course....clear the workout floor!!

By the sound of things, Masherdong, you've already experienced your "First" AKKI Camp.

To any that haven't, it's a GREAT experience! Each time I went (not nearly as much as I'd like to have gone) it was a memorable and VERY beneficial experience. In the seminars, tests, dinners.......and out.
    A lot of Good friends having a Good time doing a lot of GOOD Kenpo!!!

all my best, guys!
    God Bless

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (03-16-2008)

Thanks

This will be my fourth camp, and from Mr. Brumby's post, maybe my last, lol!
    It's going to be a great time and I can't wait!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Its been so long since training but I think I even remember the name James wenz.
    Last I heard, James Wenz was in Houston training with Mr. Terry McCord. I was once a student with Mr. McCord and had the privilege of having "Zoomie" pound on me. I have not trained with Mr. McCord for almost a year now so, I do not know if he is still training with him or not.

By the sound of things, Masherdong, you've already experienced your "First" AKKI Camp.
    No, still have not been. Right around that time, I just moved to a new house and was busy getting settled in. Then I wanted to find something closer to home, so now I am doing Mantis Kung Fu.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links