Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Difference Between a "Hook" and a "Roundhouse"

Thanks

Default The Difference Between a "Hook" and a "Roundhouse"

The difference I've been taught by my instructor, Mr. Hildebrand, is where contact is made.
    Starting from the point of view that both punches are circular in nature; the most noticeable difference is where contact is made when throwing the punch.
    When throwing either punch, both move on an arc, traveling from the outside to the inside. While traveling that arc, there is a point where the punch no longer travels forward and begins its return motion. That point is the "apex" of the circle.
    Now, with the "apex" being the center of the curve and return point of the strike here is the difference.
    The roundhouse punch makes contact with the target before the weapon reaches the "apex" of the circle (hitting on the "upside");
    and the hook punch makes contact with the target after the weapon reaches the "apex" of the circle and starts moving/returning (hitting on the "downside) of the circle.
    Last edited by Mikael151; 12-18-2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spell check!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-17-2012)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: The Difference Between a "Hook" and a "Roundhouse"

That makes perfect sense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    The difference ... is where contact is made.
    Starting from the point of view that both punches are circular in nature; the most noticeable difference is where contact is made when throwing the punch. ... both move on an arc, traveling from the outside to the inside. ... The roundhouse punch makes contact with the target before the weapon reaches the "apex" of the circle (hitting on the "upside");
    and the hook punch makes contact with the target after the weapon reaches the "apex" of the circle and starts moving/returning (hitting on the "downside) of the circle.
    The roundhose is more circular, a hook is more eliptical. The roundhose depends on momentum and getting some mass into the strike at the apex. The hook has structoure throughout. Roundhouse travels further and the elbow follows the fist. Hooks bring the elbow up to support the fist as it turns in to strike, and on a completely different eliptical path. If either makes contact after the point of its returning motion, it looses power drastically. That's how I was taught, at any rate.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    The roundhose is more circular, a hook is more eliptical. The roundhose depends on momentum and getting some mass into the strike at the apex. The hook has structoure throughout. Roundhouse travels further and the elbow follows the fist. Hooks bring the elbow up to support the fist as it turns in to strike, and on a completely different eliptical path. If either makes contact after the point of its returning motion, it looses power drastically. That's how I was taught, at any rate.

Dan C
    Actually the power depletion on the hook after the apex of the circle is determined by body rotation. If you are throwing the punch as an isolated strike without proper body mechanics then what you're saying is true, but
    if you rotate your body in the same direction as the hook, you won't loose power after the apex. You'll increase it.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,934 Times in 5,591 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear View Post
    Actually the power depletion on the hook after the apex of the circle is determined by body rotation. If you are throwing the punch as an isolated strike without proper body mechanics then what you're saying is true, but
    if you rotate your body in the same direction as the hook, you won't loose power after the apex. You'll increase it.
    BILLY, IS THAT YOU?????
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

The difference I've been taught by my instructor, Mr. Hildebrand, is where contact is made.
    Starting from the point of view that both punches are circular in nature; the most noticeable difference is where contact is made when throwing the punch.
    When throwing either punch, both move on an arc, traveling from the outside to the inside. While traveling that arc, there is a point where the punch no longer travels forward and begins its return motion. That point is the "apex" of the circle.
    Now, with the "apex" being the center of the curve and return point of the strike here is the difference.
    The roundhouse punch makes contact with the target before the weapon reaches the "apex" of the circle (hitting on the "upside");
    That is exactly correct.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Actually the power depletion on the hook after the apex of the circle is determined by body rotation. If you are throwing the punch as an isolated strike without proper body mechanics then what you're saying is true, but if you rotate your body in the same direction as the hook, you won't loose power after the apex. You'll increase it.
    Y'all must have learned a different hook than I did. The hook is a very short punch, and requires body rotation to throw it at all. The elbow actually travels farther than the fist, and it has to come up so the arm is parallel to the ground. And the strike occurs on the flat side of an elipse, not at the apex of a circle. After the strike, the motion of the fist reverses back to guard.

Could you describe your hook? As I visualize it, throwing the punch in a circular path is a looser and mechanically weaker punch, even with proper body rotation.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

That is what I was also taught. There is a clip on youtube of SGM Parker talking about this topic. There are a total of 8 clips called "Ed PArker Seminar" totalling about 70min. well worth watching

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Y'all must have learned a different hook than I did. The hook is a very short punch, and requires body rotation to throw it at all. The elbow actually travels farther than the fist, and it has to come up so the arm is parallel to the ground. And the strike occurs on the flat side of an elipse, not at the apex of a circle. After the strike, the motion of the fist reverses back to guard.

Could you describe your hook? As I visualize it, throwing the punch in a circular path is a looser and mechanically weaker punch, even with proper body rotation.

Dan C
    I'm with you, brother! What kind of hook are you guys talking about? It's not the same one a boxer would through. That type uses more torque from the body and the punch is "tighter." Boxers train so that with their hook the impact takes place at the apex, where it can do the most damage.
    A "roundhouse" is what I've also heard called a "haymaker." More prevelent on the street. With this, the apex is reached well before contact is made so that the punch loses power before impact. It travels on a "wide" arc, unlike the hook.
    My 0.02
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

jadewolf3 (07-31-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    A "roundhouse" is what I've also heard called a "haymaker." More prevelent on the street. With this, the apex is reached well before contact is made so that the punch loses power before impact. It travels on a "wide" arc, unlike the hook.
    Semantics, again. We call all circular punches a roundhouse. We differentiate the punch you are talking about from a more structured (relative term) roundhouse by calling it a "street roundhouse". Or a haymaker..., which generally starts somewheree around floor level on the trailing foot side and leads with the fist all the way, ending in an overballanced state.

Sounds like we define the hook the same. Short, gets around and in quickly. Elbow does most of the travel and body mass is aligned to pull for power, which requires a tight structure at the elbow to be effective. Open the angle of the elbow and leverage works against you so you have little mass into the strike. Just velocity, which I believe is adversely effected too.

But I'm guessing everyone doesn't define things the same here (do we ever?). execkenpo, do you have a link to those clips of Mr. Parker? It'd be interesting to hear how he describes this.

Dan C

Thanks

Semantics, again. We call all circular punches a roundhouse. We differentiate the punch you are talking about from a more structured (relative term) roundhouse by calling it a "street roundhouse". Or a haymaker..., which generally starts somewheree around floor level on the trailing foot side and leads with the fist all the way, ending in an overballanced state.

Dan C
    Man, I would get severely bored waiting on that punch to arrive.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Man, I would get severely bored waiting on that punch to arrive.
    I saw a training film with actual footage of a state trooper getting taken out by that punch. It ended his career. The trooper ignored almost every sign in the book that he was about to get clocked- the guy even sat his beer down, turned and loaded this punch from the center of the earth! I really think the trooper was in denial, hoping his uniform would be enough to contain the situation. Sad, because you are right about the time it takes to deliver the punch. He had all day to do something. There's probably a lesson or two to be learned from that film.

Dan C

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Sounds like we define the hook the same. Short, gets around and in quickly. Elbow does most of the travel and body mass is aligned to pull for power, which requires a tight structure at the elbow to be effective. Open the angle of the elbow and leverage works against you so you have little mass into the strike. Just velocity, which I believe is adversely effected too.

But I'm guessing everyone doesn't define things the same here (do we ever?). execkenpo, do you have a link to those clips of Mr. Parker? It'd be interesting to hear how he describes this.

Dan C
    I have the clips of Parker saved on my channel on youtube....under search type "execkenpo",,,,then on the left click "channels" ...you should see a pic of me breaking...click on "favourites"...then hit "playlists" at the top...you will find a list called Ed Parker....I can't tell you which vid he discusses this in but it is in one of the seminar clips.........he describes hooking and roundhouse as Mikael does

The hook you are referring to I think is what most people think of when they hear 'hook punch' which is different than 'hooking punch'',,,semantics I agree.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

The hook Dan you talk about is perfectly consistent with the definition. Remember this thread was about the definition, not about 'how' to execute it. The definition as stated comes directly from my teaching from Ed Parker, who himself was a really good boxer.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    BILLY, IS THAT YOU?????
    Yep!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The hook Dan you talk about is perfectly consistent with the definition. Remember this thread was about the definition, not about 'how' to execute it. The definition as stated comes directly from my teaching from Ed Parker, who himself was a really good boxer.
    Trejo has always said the same about Mr. Parker.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Trejo has always said the same about Mr. Parker.

Trejo would certainly have an educated opinion on that one given his boxing history.

Thanks

How would one define something like a "strike" without including the method of its execution?

Anyway, we have a student with a strong background in boxing. Both his father and grandfather were golden gloves and boxed in the Navy. He followed suite. I find it beneficial having him in class and learning from the "boxers" perspective.

One thing he's shared with the class that kind of amazed me was that boxers use parries. I hadn't expected that, but his father had taught him to do it before he ever stepped foot in a Kenpo class.

Thanks

Doc, I guess I'm having trouble with categorizing the hook as circular- unless you consider the elipse to be just an elongated circle. But, as this is an AK discussion, and Mr. Parker categorized it that way, I'll go with it. When I get time I'll go to those clips execkenpo referenced and see if I can understand his reasoning.

Dan C

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Doc, I guess I'm having trouble with categorizing the hook as circular- unless you consider the elipse to be just an elongated circle. But, as this is an AK discussion, and Mr. Parker categorized it that way, I'll go with it. When I get time I'll go to those clips execkenpo referenced and see if I can understand his reasoning.

Dan C
    Stop thinking about the hand and visualize the path the elbow and shoulder must follow to execute.
    T. Malgiero likes this.

www.MSUACF.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links