Thread: Free Style

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Free Style

How do you use the free style techniques in class?

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Free Style

For simple reaction drills...moving bodies up and down the matt and of course freestyle hahaha
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I'm guilty of not doing the Free-Style techs enough really.
    I think that they are a decent base to work from to get us moving our stuff offensively. They build gradually...I like that. I think that things that build gradually and progressively have a greater level of utility later on. Just like so many things in Kenpo, they are a great platform to aquire and then move on from... to graft other things into it; or even just try to be spontaneous from.

Good topic. I need more thought on it. More than that, I need more SWEAT on it!!!

Ha!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

When you learn the timing patterns, and start to be able to move them on the bag, its easy to feel like you could hit a guy 10 times in a second or two. The problem is, no one is gonna just stand there and let you rip a timing pattern on their face!!! The biggest problem I have, is bridging the gap. I think the freestyle techs,. have the potential to help with this, but it seems they are given less attention than the defensive techs, and forms. I have often wondered why??? If I feel threatened, really threatened, I donít want to stand around and wait for the left straight punch or the two handed push, I want to explode on the guy and end it before it starts. From my experience outside of Kenpo and sparring, the first guy to throw has the best chance. That said, as a beginner in Kenpo with the AKKI, I think I could do many of the Yellows and some orange techs. in a real situation, but I am not sure I know how to move in, bridge the gap, cover and check the opponent, connect first, then go into something...(although universal and trapping set are helping me to see this) The gap or initial distance seems hard to cover. I think, from what I have seen, the freestyle techs could really help a student learn to cover the distance and strike first. Any thoughts?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hey all,

I haven't specifically worked free-style techniques, but there are a lot of there things that we tend to focus on that influence free-style capabilities a great deal.
    I think that the offensive brown belt techniques help with bridging the gap. In so many instances, we fail to see that the techniques, though written to be used on the defensive, are completely adaptable to the offensive; we DO learn this in brown belt techniques. And the basis for the brown belt techniques are the yellow belt techniques. So . . .
    Also, trapping set develops sensitivity allowing for more adaptability to incoming strikes and counter-strikes.
    The curriculum we study integrates each element into another element. There's a lot to learn. Thank heavens it all relates to each other!

I hope this makes sense. Have fun!

SammiJo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I donít want to stand around and wait for the left straight punch or the two handed push
    Anytime you have an opportunity to avoid swallowing your teeth, I recommend you take it.

As you stated Universal, Centerline, and the various Trapping Tools (techs and set) will help you "bridge the gap." Once you get inside if you find yourself in a clinch type situation refer to techs like crashing thunder, taming the mace, intercepting the storm, snaking guillotine, sweeping guillotine, etc, etc, etc. If you just can't seem to get something to work on the inside, use your elbows, or the timing and outward chop from Flashing Swords to create distance.

The problem is, no one is gonna just stand there and let you rip a timing pattern on their face!!!
    I disagree..... If your opponent has enough time or consiousness in which to respond or pull away then you are doing something wrong.

Mr. Jacob just about knocked me out cold with the two inward palm heels. The only reason he never threw the back knuckle was because he was kind enough it catch me before I hit the ground. I've seen this happen to a number of bigger people than myself mainly Mr. Jacobs, Mr. Drakes, and Mr. Woodward courtesy of Mr. Mills. The timing drills, despite their almost constant usage throughout the system, can prove to be quite mysterious until you actually know what it is that you are trying to accomplish with those palm heels. Once you get that down, it's as if a little light bulb goes off and finally and for the first time you start seeing things a bit differently.

I'm not saying that I know all there is to know, but once I learned this specific application it made me see the techniques in a different light. Who knows, at the next camp we might all learn something new that will change our perception yet again.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I think we had a miscommunication, I know the timing patterns work, and yes, I know they can be executed successfully on someoneís face, if you are close enough, i.e any of the techs you named. However, when I speak of distance, I do not mean creating distance as you mentioned with flashing swords, but closing distance. If I am out of arms reach, no one is going to let me walk up and begin a trimming pattern on their face. It is the explosive movement towards them, while they are most likely backing up, that I am speaking of, I think this closing the gap could be learned from the freestyle techs. In the Yellow defensive techs, you either step back from or step in, when your opponent initiates the first strike, so the range for striking is already there. What I am concerned with, in this thread, is moving from out of range, to a striking range, "pre-emptively" so-to-speak. Closing the gap and striking first, when my opponent is out of range, and not moving towards me. I am curious if any one has felt that the freestyle techs. have helped them do this, or any other training ideas to become better at "closing the gap". I have been starting all my bag work at home from a distance, and then work on launching in or moving up the circle then striking. I think that will help, as apposed to facing the bag "toe to toe" and swatting it. Any suggestions?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

What I am concerned with, in this thread, is moving from out of range, to a striking range, "pre-emptively" so-to-speak. Closing the gap and striking first, when my opponent is out of range, and not moving towards me.

This is exactly what the trapping techniques were designed to do. They were intended to give you a tool in which to rapidly explode forward and control your opponent via contact penetration. You can use the strikes and/or feints from the trapping techniques to distract your opponent while you close the distance with the foot maneuvers from the freestyle techniques.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Which is exactly what I originally said, in my first post...?

"Öuniversal and trapping set are helping me to see this"

"Öthe freestyle techs could really help a student learn to cover the distance and strike first."

I donít want to be rude, but are you actually reading my post, or just responding??
    I guess were still not communicating???

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I donít want to be rude, but are you actually reading my post, or just responding?? I guess were still not communicating???
    I would love to answer your question..... As I have no problem helping out a fellow AKKI'er, but let's review your initial post to help clear this up.
    When you learn the timing patterns, and start to be able to move them on the bag, its easy to feel like you could hit a guy 10 times in a second or two. The problem is, no one is gonna just stand there and let you rip a timing pattern on their face!!!
    This is a statement that I addressed earlier. Where is the question?

The biggest problem I have, is bridging the gap. I think the freestyle techs,. have the potential to help with this, but it seems they are given less attention than the defensive techs, and forms. I have often wondered why???
    The freestyle techniques are given as much attention as you decide they need. This is a statement. Where is your question?
    If l feel threatened, really threatened, I donít want to stand around and wait for the left straight punch or the two handed push, I want to explode on the guy and end it before it starts.
    Excellent point, I agree with you one hundred percent, but this is still a statement. Where is the question?
    From my experience outside of Kenpo and sparring, the first guy to throw has the best chance.
    Another excellent point. Where is your question?
    That said, as a beginner in Kenpo with the AKKI, I think I could do many of the Yellows and some orange techs. in a real situation, but I am not sure I know how to move in, bridge the gap, cover and check the opponent, connect first, then go into something...(although universal and trapping set are helping me to see this)
    This is somewhat of an inquisitive statement that you answered yourself: "How do I bridge the gap?" "Universal and trapping set will help me with this."
    The gap or initial distance seems hard to cover. I think, from what I have seen, the freestyle techs could really help a student learn to cover the distance and strike first.
    Yet another statement.
    Any thoughts?
    This is your first question of the entire post. I answered the only question that you actually asked and gave a little bit more. The trapping techniques are designed to take advantage of your opponents reaction and allow you to take control of the situation. Notice any similiarities between Approaching Doom and B1a? I'm not trying to be rude, but perhaps it would be a little more helpful if you stated what you are specifically looking for, rather than editorializing your own experiences and then asking for thoughts.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Ok, I'll try to be more specific.

"How do you use the free style techniques in class?"

This was the question originally posted, I was, as you stated, editorializing my own experience.... identifying a problem (closing the gap between my opponent and striking first) explaining how I thought the freestyle techs. could be used in class and in my personal practice;

"I think, from what I have seen, the freestyle techs could really help a student learn to cover the distance and strike first."

and,

"I am curious if any one has felt that the freestyle techs. have helped them do this, or any other training ideas to become better at "closing the gap". I have been starting all my bag work at home from a distance, and then work on launching in or moving up the circle then striking. I think that will help, as apposed to facing the bag "toe to toe" and swatting it. Any suggestions?"

And then asking if anyone has tried this, or could offer other training suggestions... I know what trapping set/centerline/universal teach... I know the freestyle techs can help with footwork when launching forward offensively, I was asking;

"if any one has felt that the freestyle techs. have helped them do this..."

for "any other training ideas to become better at "closing the gap"

and if anyone had "any suggestions" with regards to what I was already doing on my own;

"starting all my bag work at home from a distance, and then work on launching in or moving up the circle"

Those were my questions.

I could just ask my instructor (and I will), as I know he could give me loads of ideas, just thought it might have been of interest to others as well, and figured some have most likely come up with some interesting ideas of their own.

Anyways, I would still love to hear suggestions, and still maintain that one must cover a distance explosively, and somewhat deceptively, because no one will let you just walk up and crank on their face. Who out there is training to initiate first, get to the guy and hit him before he gets to you and hits you? (having already identified the threat) How are you training to do that?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

because no one will let you just walk up and crank on their face. Who out there is training to initiate first, get to the guy and hit him before he gets to you and hits you? (having already identified the threat) How are you training to do that?
    Sure they will. You just get the guy before he starts punching/pushing/grabbing, etc. It's been my favorite way to deal with the potential threat. Speed Surprise Simplicity. I'm as offensive as I can be. Do the techniques - a block is a strike.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alan J.
    I'm as offensive as I can be.
    A little "Right Gaurd" would do the trick there Mr. Jacob.

....crap....I'm in for it now.....

anyway:
    I totally agree. I remember Mr. Mills speaking briefly about some of the objections of outsiders who said that we (AKKI) move "Too fast" and don't allow enough time for the attackers body to react to our initial movements (which is a crock argument)....
    Mr. Mills said "I wait for Nothing. I act!"
    Nuff said there....
    Attack is the flip side of the coin for our techniques, acting before acted upon. In a fighting situation it's what we should be doing more of anyway: even when doing the techniques verbatim we are really trying to act with such explosiveness that we are Stealing the inititive from the attacker; creating the change that THEY need to react to. Let THEM play 'catch-up' while we...as Mr. Mills put it: '....wait for nothing, ...act!"

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links