Thread: Health and Fitness

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Health and Fitness

Health and Fitness should be a large part of our training regimen. With this being the case I thought that this might be a good thread in which we could all share current work out or dietary info.

I don't have time to post anything in detail now, but I thought that this would be a good ongoing thread.

Please feel free to share ideas or workout routines, even if they have nothing to do with kenpo. Examples.. free weights, cardio, bag routines, etc.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Health and Fitness

Alright, now that I have a little bit of time I thought I might throw a few things out there.

Please feel free to add your own routines, excercises, etc.

One thing that has really been whipping my butt lately has been cardio. I've been trying to get my cardio back on track so I thought I might put one of the jump rope routines out there that I've been doing, especially since it can be done at minimal cost. What you will need: Some rope.

Jump:
    1) with both feet together moderate pace
    2) with Left leg
    3) with Right Leg
    4) for height ( as high as you can)
    5) for speed ( as fast as you can)
    Rest

Do this for 3 to 6 sets with 30-60 second rest periods in between (adjust according to your fitness level). Do each one of the segments for 30-60 seconds (adjust according to your level of fitness, but be consistent.. do each segment for the same amount of time), and switch without stopping. This means that you jump with both feet together for 30 seconds, then transition to the Left leg for 30 seconds, then to the right, etc..
    This works best with a big analog wall clock (i.e. something with a big second hand), or with a partner. Don't cheat yourself by counting time that you aren't jumping.

once you are able to do this, even if it's the 3 sets for 30 second intervals and a minute of rest, you can add a sixth step. What I call the Billy Blanks squat kicks. Drop the rope, have your feet shoulder width apart, squat down so your thighs are parallel with the ground, come up and do a left front snap kick, squat, right front snap kick, squat, left front snap kick, etc. For 20 reps. Then you can rest for your 30-60 seconds. Then pick up the jump rope and start back at one.

It may take a while to work up to, but it's a great workout. It doesn't involve any weight, it will help develop fast twitch muscle fibers, and it will help build up some much needed cardio that we ALL ignore.

Just be careful starting out. Jumping rope is pretty hard on the joints. Throw this in with your walking, running, swimming, bagwork, or whatever.

Anyone else have a routine they want to share. I'll post more stuff later.

Thanks

When practicing alone, I drill the forms, sets and techniques over and over and do push-ups when catching my breath.

I don't have a lot of time to lift weights, so Kenpo and pushups comprise most of my "alone training."

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Today I did some cardio work.

23 minutes on the Elliptical machine then
    1 hard mile on the treadmill.
    Usually I'll also do the stationary bike but decided not to today.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I do a little over 3 hours of Kenpo on Monday & Thursday nights down at the school... and some practice every day at home. Not sure how many hours I average per week.....but it's upwards of 10 hours for sure.

Tuesday and Friday I lift weights. I cycle between two different regimen: For six weeks I do HIT (High Intensity Training) based work in which I focus on very heavy weights ("Heavy" is a relative term. There are lots of guys that move more weights than I do, but what I lift taxes me completely.) with strict form and NO fast lifts....all steady and exacting form. I work each movement to near failure or failure; and then I employ techniques that help me push past failure. (Plate-stripping, Negative reps, post-exhaust techniques....etc.) Then after those six weeks are up I take one full week off. NO weight training at all. Then I change and engage in HVT....High Volume Training. This one, instead of focusing on heavy weight, focuses on multiple exercises per muscle group (for instance I might do three different exercises that target the chest) and do each one with moderate weights for high reps and a good number of sets. This time I also train to and past failure, but instead of reaching failure by overloading my body with the massive poundages, I do so by taxing it through (as the name implies) a much higher volume. By cycling between these two methods I don't usually end up over-training....especially since I only hit each muscle-group no more than twice per week AND I have that one week off between cycles to totally refresh myself and give my joints a break. I lift only on days after Kenpo classes at the school...so when I come to class I've had at least 48 hours of recouperation. ((seldom still sore, have had time to work on flexibility...etc.)) I must confess: my weight training, though I feel it benefits my Kenpo....isn't designed too. No, my weight training is a hobby all its own that stands apart from anything else. I like being more muscular. I'm no "BodyBuilder" in the strict sense of the term, but I've got some meat on me and it's shaped like I want it for the most part. Hey...my wife likes it. It's better to be looked over than to be over-looked. ;-)
    Some of the people that I teach Kenpo to sometimes say "Sure...you can pull (XYZ-Technique) off. You're strong!".. well, truth is (and I tell them this) IF I can pull that technique off....it's IN SPITE of my musculature, not because of it. PROPER TECHNIQUE will always win out! Now if a fight should turn to grappling....that's where I think my muscular strength will help me out, that and the grappling knowledge/skills I've got. ((that's another story)) Like I said, I do feel that my weight training compliments and helps my Kenpo, but not in the way that most people would think....not due to strength really.
    ON with the post:
    So Monday & Thursday: most of my Kenpo work outs. (besides my daily practice)
    Tuesday & Friday: Weight training. (as described)
    Wednesday - Saturday & Sunday: These are the nights that I get to spend the most time with my family....so that takes precedence!!!! My family is VERY important to me, so the time we get is focused on doing things together. BUT: I can still work in some cardio and stretching time!! My wife and I don't watch hardly any TV...BUT: we do like to get DVD sets of Tv shows that we like and watch them at night after the kids go to bed. SO for instance we just finished watching all of the first three seasons of ALIAS (((I LOOOOOVE that show))) and now we are beginning the first season of another series like it. Because it's on DVD the comercials are cut out. (((((YEAH!!!!!!!!!!)))) So it's about 45 minutes long. So I've got my eliptical, magnetic resistance, exercise bike in the living-room so I can peddal while we watch our shows. So on those three nights a week I usally get about 45 minutes of cardio in. (not each night, but usually I get at least two of these nights) After I ride I do an extensive flexibility routine including some Yoga that I really like. Helps me wind down.

That's about it for me.
    My family (not so much my dad's family, but my moms) has a tendency to be both muscular and FAT. Well... you can probably tell that I'm trying to emphasize one and reduce the other. Though I get plenty of exercise each week...I still battle the fat. I've got a little bit of pudge that persists and hangs on to the 'love-handle' region. I found that once I broke 30, this problem only got worse. I should watch diet better than I do!!! But I don't. Every now and then I do a month of "Atkins" type diet...which works for me. BUT: That diet was meant to be an on-going thing...not on and off again. So it benefits me for a while, then months later......ya couldn't tell I did it.
    Oh well.
    I don't look too bad.

Later....
    Your Brother
    John
    Last edited by Brother John; 05-08-2005 at 10:31 AM.

Spyderman Guest

One of my favorite things for cardio is jumping rope. It's good for the heart, lungs, and overall stamina. It also makes you light on your feet and improves your footwork. The other benefit to jumping rope is you can do it without leaving your own home. Its also portable so you can take it anywhere.

I use High Intensity Interval Training when I'm jumping rope.

30 seconds full sprint followed by 30 seconds medium pace. Repeat for 30 minutes, and you should be huffing and puffing really well.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links