Thread: CD's

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up CD's

Hello
    I have never made it to any camps yet. I have heard that there are cd's we can purchase. Are they training or forms??? Or am I miss informed??? Great web site!!!! I'm a purple so I just read and soak up what everybody is saying.

Thanks

Default Re: CD's

There are lots of good dvd's out there. My personal favorites are Larry Tatum's.

His website is:

www.ltatum.com

Cheers,

Jamie Seabrook

www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

there are two kinds of cd's (that i've seen anyway), musical and video clips of Mr. Mills doing stuff. I recommend both because the video clips of him doing stuff are great for studying motion. The musical cds are a little less obvious to use in instruction in my opinion but have a lot of the rhythms (sp?) of the timing patterns we use. Not being a musician I have a hard time picking this up but my more musically inclined students say they find the CDs great help to be playing in the background.

So in summary I recommend both types of CDs.

Hope that helps,
    Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: CD's

The CD's aren't instructional in the sense that you will hear someone saying,"now that you have stepped back with your left foot, execute a right thrusting inward block from point of origin." Rather, what you will see is Mr. Mills executing the AKKI material. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast, but always energetic and powerful.

The first couple of cd's were kind of short only a few minutes, I think they were mainly put together to see what the response would be. So far it has been overwhelming. This is why the House of Pain Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 CD's are almost 30 minutes a piece. I'm sure you are thinking 20-30 minutes isn't very long, but remember this isn't a normal instructional video. You aren't going to have someone eating up a bunch of time espousing the random crap that you hear on so many other videos. What you will see is video footage of Mr. Mills executing techniques in seminars and private lessons, one right after another.
    HOP vol. 2 shows several nerve strikes (that and you can watch Alan Jacobs, Brian Woodward, John Herman, and others, take a beating.... OUCH). Volume 3 demonstrates a number of the new green belt techniques and Internalization Patterns. The most recent video, I don't remember the name, is a two disc set both discs are around 30 minutes, I believe.. but I'm not sure I have saved them to my computer so I don't really use the disks, and it shows poor Bernie Drake just taking a beating. In addition to this Mr. Mills demonstrates some of the knife material (knife set-single and double knife, some of phase 3 from club set, knife defense techniques, empty hand ballistic striking, etc.)

I have bought them all and routinely go back to watch them. Since the videos aren't watered down, I tend to learn a little something new each time I watch them. They are jam packed with info, and I highly recommend them for your reference library or at the very least for historical footage of Mr. Mills.

The best place to pick up the CD's is at one of the semi-annual camps, but if you can't make it have your instructor contact Mr. Mills to order one.

http://www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: CD's

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    There are lots of good dvd's out there. My personal favorites are Larry Tatum's.

His website is:

www.ltatum.com

Cheers,

Jamie Seabrook

I believe that he is referring to the AKKI specific CDs offered by Mr. Mills and the AKKI.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

The AKKI CD's are GREAT for inspiration!!!

Some really increadible stuff!

Your Brother (unusually brief.....what's up with that???)
    John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    I believe that he is referring to the AKKI specific CDs offered by Mr. Mills and the AKKI.
    Yep, you're right Hunter. Lack of sleep and too many punches to the head over the years catches up to me sometime.

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John

Your Brother (unusually brief.....what's up with that???)
    John
    Man whats up with that...I will have to take your temp at class next week! Maybe I talk too much in person so you have to get it all out online before I interrupt you
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links