Thread: AKKI Curriculum Challenges

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default AKKI Curriculum Challenges

In an attempt to use this forum as a place to learn and exchange ideas (unlike other forums which are used as places to brag and whine) what challenges do you have in the AKKI curriculum? Our curriculum is very sophisticated and I figured we are all attempting to chip away at the iceberg of knowledge. Maybe if we chip together we can get a better understanding faster. So post your challenges here and maybe people will have suggestions for you.

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: AKKI Curriculum Challenges

by 'challenges' do you mean techniques that we find difficult to get down??

Your Bro.
    John

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: AKKI Curriculum Challenges

Along these same lines, I'm curious to how everyone is doing with the updated Yellow Belt material. If I'm not mistaken it's been taught a little bit at a time for the last 4 or 5 camps (obviously with some review). Hopefully most of you have had a chance to work through it. Those that have been exposed to it, what do you think? Love it? Hate it? Confused why it changed? Do you have any concerns? How have you applied this new material to your older AKKI stuff? I'm curious about how both beginners and longtimers are working with the material. Don't be afraid to "opine"

I don't know about you, but after about blue belt I just hated going back to do the old yellow material. Everything else was so dynamic, explosive, and destructive, while the "old yeller" just didn't seem to fit with what we were doing as an association.

Anyway, any comments from the AKKI bunch would be appreciated.

I'm with Mr. Kulp, I hope this forum will become a good place to discuss strategy and methodology in regards to our curriculum.

Peace

Thanks

OK...Difficulties w/ the curriculum.
    Hmmm...
    Descending Ram!!
    For a while I've barely even touched on this technique because I just KNEW I wasn't doing it right. Everything felt..... off. I meant to ask Mr. Connolly about it last time I saw him, but he had so many other cool things to go over with me, I didn't. Then one night, on of the guys at my school asked me to go over it.
    OUCH... I did my best and told him that I'd seek clarification, cuz..man....I needed it. I just happened to be E-mailing Mr. Jacob at the time and so I slipped in a question to him about it. He shared some 'stuff' with me bout it and it really helped. NOW: While I don't feel GREAT about the technique, I'm much more confident in my execution of it and my ability to share it with my guys. (that means a lot to me....thanks Mr. Jacob...if you read this)
    __________________________________________________ _______
    Now: For Kenpo-Yahoo's question: My thoughts/feelings on the Yellows and how they've effected my motion w/in the other..."older" AKKI material.

OK...how do I put this....
    I LOVE'M!!! I really didn't have anything against the other, older ones. ((It's kinda funny to call anything in our system "older"...compared to most our "Older" would still be very "new" to them....gives me a chuckle.)) I particularly liked the way we did Alternating Maces before. I do like Destructive Wedge!! But I'm probably more partial to the older 'Alternating Maces'... Maybe all this has to do with the fact that I've not had an explanation on the tactical reasons why the change was made. Could be. Sort of like with the older 'Attacking Mace" and the new one. I really liked the older one. BUT: then Mr. Connolly explained the new one to me and WHY the change was made. I've not executed the older one even once since then; not that I suddenly dislike it, but I feel that I've given it up for a "Greater good", if that makes sense to ya.
    I DO Love the new Yellows!! One thing is that the timing is MUCH more evident, sooner...in the practitioner. There are different timing patterns just woven into the very fabric of the new yellows. IF you merely do them right, smoothly....then it MAKES you execute the base timing patterns. Then it's a matter of smoothing them up more and altering the timing for emphasis to suit you and the need of the moment.
    FOR INSTANCE: Just this last week I had a lady in my class. She'd been real hit and miss since starting up... mostly infrequent with minimal effort. (She blamed it on being a 'middle aged woman'...not a good excuse in my book) She knew Delayed Sword, Alternating Maces, Sword of Destruction and Deflecting Hammer (that's pretty much all she knew) that we had been doing.... she did them haltingly...very staccato and hesitant (she doubts herself a great deal). No one else showed up for class (((Hey.....we're new. You can count my students on a Woodshop teachers left hand.)) so I was able to give her a private lesson. I got her to working the two easiest timing patterns ((which need a name BTW: so we can say "I showed her timing pattern 'A'." )) the ones that apply to Flashing Swords and Swords of Fury. I had her doing them on a heavy bag over and over and over. She'd been holding her breath through her motion...which of course leads to constipated motion...so I taught her an old trick for that and got her through it. Then I had her listen to the rythm she was making on the bag and the one I was making and told her to try to match mine. She eventually did. Then I had her do this over and over and over....etc. Then: We got on the mats and did Flashing Swords and Swords of Fury. POP-POP-POP-POW..... Just like that. She surprised herself so much that she immediately laughed outloud and said "It's almost hard to believe that was ME.
    " It sure the heck Was Her!! It was really cool to watch her confidence take a leap. The rest of the time she was on the mats she was more confident and totally intent on what I was telling her to do and she put out more effort than I'd yet seen from her. (Dropping sweat on my new mats.....well I NEVER!! ;-) ) It was AWESOME to watch her confidence take that leap!!!!!

Well...I'm ranting now. Sorry. But I'll say this: the new Yellows are much more suited to what we are doing with the rest of the system. They GELL with the other techs much better. It's cool to be excited over the YELLOWS again!!!

I have a guy that's been working out with me for a while, real good guy and a hard worker. When I first told him some about "The Yellows have been changed." He nodded, but I could tell he wasn't exactly.......thrilled. I asked what he thought. He said "I don't know. I really like the Yellows."
    I said "Yeah. I know. Me too. It's sort of like when you FIRST fell in Love with Kenpo the Yellows were your first 'kiss'.... Well.... This is the same pretty girl, but she's lost a few pounds and is done up all nice!!"
    HA!!

Your Brother (Going off now to explore "Attacking Mace" some-more)
    John

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I have really enjoyed the new yellows. When Mr Connolly took us through them and spoke of the "whys" of it I really looked forward to them. I think being through the AKKI material up to the blue stuff the old yellow just doesn't mix well with what we do. I think it lays a path of establishing a better base (stance AND curriculum wise) and introduces dynamic movement and body allignment that some of the old stuff just did not touch. Plus you have techniques that "mesh" better with the AKKI method of execution and timing.

I agree with on on descending ram it seems a little awkward so at Vegas in Sept hopefully someone can straighten it out for us

Right now my biggest challenge is Form 2, going into this I knew the old long 2 and when John showed me phase one I was like "no big deal this is like striking set and long 2" that all changed when he showed me phase II MAN phase II was COMPLETELY different then what I knew! I am personally loving the direction the form is taking me but it is by no means an easy form to learn the finer points of!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Yellows and Descending Ram

Yellow Belt Technique Thoughts
    First I want to hit the yellows. I LOVE THEM!!!! I liken them to a tiny stone that pops up and cracks a windshield. For a beginner it is a small impact that eventually will encompass everything. For some of us that have been around a little longer it is like dropping a boulder on the car. Everything is effected, not just a small impact that grows but everything is instantly changed. I think one challenge is for us to look at where else the yellows are in the system and start thinking of links like how the end of Whipping Pendulum utilizes the gross motor skills/timing of Flashing Swords. So kudos to the new Yellows. The old yellows were nice but these really move and are simple for anyone to pickup.

Descending Ram
    I too would like to see a seminar on it as well as the other Thunder techniques for more familiarization with them. I find this technique to be a great exercise out of Universal Set. While working the punches of Universal Set have A shoot high for the legs or hips. B then fires off the technique the best they can. This is a little adaptation of Mr. Clark's sprawl exercise from Center Line but I think it works here. I've gotten a positive reaction out of the students about this activity. Couple this with working shots out of centerline and the students being able to go between centerline and universal set while A or B is shooting. As you can guess this is an advanced student activity but it can be fun.

I guess that doesn't provide a helpful understanding of Descending Ram but it does provide a fun activity for it.

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I like the new yellows. I felt like a better Kenpoist after I learned them. As I practice, I continually think about the yellows even when I am working on other techniques. I am convinced that with these technqiues, our yellow belts are very well equipped to deal with an altercation. I can't think of any better preparation!

My biggest complaint... no AKKI in Kentucky!

Chris Kulp
    Richmond, KY

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Arrow Re: AKKI Curriculum Challenges

Yellow Belt:
    I love the new yellow belt material. Like I said earlier, it just seems to fit better with the direction that Mr. Mills is taking us. With the new material the student is introduced to applications and ideas that will benefit them throughout the rest of their training. So rather than having them spend a couple of months learning one thing and then saying,"Well you really need to learn all that, but we won't be teaching you to move like that in any other belt level... Surprise!!!!"

I LOVE the new attacking mace, it's so much more ballistic and devastating. Plus, with that new spin on it, I seem to be able to maintain better control over my opponent at the end of the technique. This means that if I opt to do something a little different then I can easily move into Gathering Clouds, Unfurling Devastation, or even the last part of Back Breaker.

Descending Ram:
    I guess I'm not sure what your specific problem is with the technique, knowing this might be a little more useful.

I forget which Vegas camp it was, but Mr. Jacobs taught a seminar on the natural progression of a tackle and how all of the "Ram" and "Thunder" techniques fit together. It was pretty interesting. I like the idea of having options that work naturally with a situation (i.e. I can literally fall right into my next move without having to force something). A lot of techniques, if not all of them fall into this same type of progressive situational list or hierarchy, if you will. Being aware of this and training your techniques in this manner will move you out of the conceptual technique line stuff and into a more realistic training regimen.

I don't know if that is something that you would be interested in, or if the problem lies else where. However, at least in my case, knowing where the technique fit into the situational hierarchy helped me understand its purpose and place in the system.

Well its late and I'm probably not making any sense so I'll just call it a night and check back in tomorrow.

Peace

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Orange Belt Techniques

Some have talked about how the old yellows didn't really fit the system or seem to not fit the system, what about the oranges? Some Orange techs (like Crashing Wings, or Obscured Wing) are a little different than other techniques in the AKKI system. Do you find your students (or yourself) struggling with them on occasion?

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

When I practice the orange techniques, I definitly notice that some of them don't quite "feel right" in relation to some of the other techniques. One that immediatley comes to mind is Obscure Wing. I may be lacking an understanding of the technique, but to me, it just doesn't seem to fit in with some of the others.

Thanks

Default Re: Orange Belt Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by cloak13
    what about the oranges? Do you find your students (or yourself) struggling with them on occasion?
    I wouldn't say we 'struggle' with them. I think they 'fit' the system okay, but I'd bet that Mr. Mills has things up his sleeve that will, in the future, that will make the "fit" just that much better.
    Scraping Hoof, that's one that stands out in my mind as a "Doesn't seem to fit" tech. I can do it. I can pull it off well. But...it doesn't seem to have that "X" factor built into it.
    We'll see. That's one of the exciting things about being in the AKKI. Don't like a tech or think it could be better??? Wait a few camps... Mr. Mills has probably already created a remedy.

Your Brother
    John

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: AKKI Curriculum Challenges

aahhh it's amazing what a few hours of sleep can do for you.

Obscure Wing always seemed a little clunky to me when I was first learning the technique. One thing that helped me was to see Mr. Mills perform the initial elbow quickdraw style (I believe there is an example of this on the SPEED video). I don't know about you but I always seemed to raise my arm up to my chest or abdominal area in order to load my weapon to generate force. This movement tends to take the obscurity out of Obscure Wing and demonstrates poor mechanics. Instead, what I saw Mr. Mills do was load and fire the elbow from the hip, which at the time was his point of origin. The power for this technique is generated from the timing of the left hand, the racking of the hips, and the heel stomp for solidification rather than the distance traveled.

As for the second part of the technique (hammerfist, elbow), just think "Swirling."

Again this is just one of several ways I've seen this done, but I tend to use this one the most. After the elbow, your Right hand kind of follows an "S" pattern so that your right hand snakes out away from your body ever so slightly and curves right back into the hammerfist to the groin. However, the difference here is that you end up smashing the ol' danglies into the left thigh only to recoil up to the upward elbow.

Obviously body mechanics play a big part in the proper execution of this technique (and I don't pretend to know them all), so hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable than myself is lurking (Jacobs, Connolly, Ence... are you guys out there?).

Hopefully that helps, if not.... well..... sorry.....

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I knew about the quick-draw style initial elbow, but I didn't know about the "swirling". I will think about that. Thanks!

Chris Kulp
    Richmond, KY

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Brother John

I would like to thank Brother John for being so inquisitive about Descending Ram..... Yeah apparently Mr. Connolly decided that we needed to go over the tech to make sure everyone understood what we were supposed to be doing.
    Mr. Connolly proceeded to show us 2 very effective ways to use this technique. The first was done at a distance great enough to allow the arms to somewhat extend. The second assumes that for whatever reason you didn't catch the signs in time to see them shoot for the clinch, single leg, or tackle, this results in you having to use forearm strikes in a path-like manner. After demonstrating the effectiveness of the forearm strikes. Mr. Connolly added a little something extra and cupped the back of my head ever so slightly on that first strike. Well that definately put me on the crack of my...... well you get the picture. I didn't go out, I just couldn't seem to stand up anymore

And I owe it all to Brother John....... Thanks Brother.

I'm just giving you a hard time, but definately have Mr. Connolly show you that when you come down next, or he goes up there, or whenever...
    Yeah...... okay... well that will about do it. GOODNIGHT.

Thanks

Default Re: Brother John

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Yahoo
    And I owe it all to Brother John....... Thanks Brother.
    Hey...what's a brother for?? Don't mention it. Any time I can inspire Mr. Connolly to wallup you again....just let me know.

All kidding aside:
    That tech-description sounds really interesting. I can't wait to see it in person.
    Thank you for the tips!

Your Brother
    John

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links