Thread: Fun with Plyometrics

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Smile Fun with Plyometrics

So after the March camp I started doing some real research into Plyometrics. This is mostly due to Mr. Lannon and Mr. Hilderbrand's seminar on ground fighting. Which by the way was an excellent seminar. We worked some exercises in that seminar that really interested me so when I got home I hit the net and discovered some more.

I've incorporated these exercises into my adult classes and have gotten some good feedback from the students.

I'm currently trying to work on a workout plan for the students/instructors. Here is my list of exercises for the students. If you think I've missed anything please feel free to email me.

I'd be curious to see if any of you implement any of these exercises in your school/clubs how they go over.

Upper Body
    Push Ups
    Springing Push Ups
    Dips
    Hindu Pushups

Core Body
    1-arm Planks
    Horizontal Pullups
    Standard Pull Ups
    Close Grip Pull Ups
    Crunches
    Squat Thrusts

Lower Body
    Jumping Squats
    Sqauts
    Heel Hooks
    Side Low Lunges
    Low Lunges
    Horizontal Leaps

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Fun with Plyometrics

I have done some of these for awhile with decent to good results. Sometimes we have done the hindu squats and hindu push ups in the childrens class and they love them. The key to working with the hindu squats and pushups is reps, if you can build up your endurance and stamina to do a lot of concecutive hindu squats in a row that can also cause a cardiovascular effect if your breathing and body mechanics are done right.

Believe it or not a lot of the plyometric exercises and routines I learned doing PT in the army and I got away from them for a few years and put on more then a few lbs but they are finding thier way back into my regiment.

My 8 year old daughter can do about 25 solid hindu pushups and probably about 50 hindu squats before tiring out because she sometimes mimics my workout. I usually do between 50-100 hindu pushups, 50-100 hindu squats, about 25 burpies, 25 mountain climbers and some crunchies and I am about taxed out on my calisthinics. I have incorporated a day of wieght training into my routine and it seems to be mutually beneficial to my calisthinic and wieght routine.

I really like some of the suggestions you have for alternate exercises by bodypart but personally I like to keep things relatively simple so I dont have a huge repitore'
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Yeah my thoughts with the multiple exercises by body part are variety. There is no way I have time to fit in all the exercises but I try to mix it up a bit. Jumping Squats one day then regular squats another. We have some people in the school who have had different injuries limiting what exercises they can do. So I give a variety so people can pick and choose.

I'm not familiar with Burpies or Climbers. Can I get a description or photos? I'm always looking to spice things up.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

In my escrima class we would have two people doing pushups facing one another. So if you both lift your head you would both be looking at each other's face. You time your push ups together so that when you both reach the peak of the motion you slap your right hands together. Then on the next push up you slap left hands. It is pretty tough to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Plyometrics are a really interesting study!!!! ((those "Hindu" thingies...aren't plyometrics...but they are a pretty good exercise nonetheless))

Clap pushups are good! But: Something I've seen are people who design small ledges, usually of wood with a base that's wider than the main body of it. They have these ledges on either side of themselves..just outside their palms as they do pushups, running paralel to their bodies. They do a clap pushup, and instead of putting their hands back down, they land them on these ledges. THEN they spring off them, clap in the air again, and land between the ledges again... then, w/out hesitation, they explode back up!!! I've not tried it, but according to the neuromuscular mechanisms that make plyometrics work... I bet they'd be extaordinary in developing a real explosive muscular twitch.

Also: something that's often over-looked but can make for a very good plyometric exercise device... the good ol' medicine ball!!! I like these. You are really only limited by your imagination...
    oh...and of course you are limited by not wanting a 16 pound ball land on your head or foot!!! That too.

ALSO ALSO: Some people walk under a heavy bag, especially a water-core heavy bag, and hold it against their chest, pushing it as they walk to stand directly below the bag so that the bag is leaning out. They use their palms to steady it. Then they use their arms to shove the bag as Hard as they can forward.... when it comes back they Immediately explode and propel it out again....and again....and again....etc. This is another good plyometric exercise.

Ever watch Mr. Mills as he stands relaxed?? (don't let him catch you, you'll get called up on stage.... ) My best friend Sean pointed out to me (and I've seen it too) that when Mr. Mills' hands are relaxed and against his sides (ya gota really be looking for him to hold still long enough for you to notice) but his hands turn thumbs inward. When the average Joe stands relaxed, our thumbs turn outward so that the palm faces the hips. Mr. Mills (from these observations) has trained and conditioned his muscles so much to response "From the stretch" that creates a plyometric explosion.... ya know, the flash you saw....just before the pain... well, he's done that so much through his martial arts trianing/practice and speed shooting... now his forearms seem to REST in the stretch!!!!
    Just an observation, but look for yourself some time!!!!!!!
    ((MACE: Go ahead and look Hard!!! He won't mind if he see's you lookin!! hee-he-he...))

Your Brother
    John

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wiggy3.htm

An article with pictures on how to do burpees

I could not find one on mountain climbers described anywhere (but talked about) Basically you assume a push up position, bring one of your knees up towards your chest (almost should look like your starting a race) it is a 4 count exercise you kick that leg back while bringing the other leg up to your chest, rinse, repeat after both legs have come to your chest and kicked back that is one repetition. Keep your head up and you should feel a good burn and winded after a few reps.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Brother John,

No way I'm staring, I'm gonna be standing well behind you with my eyes down! LOL

Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I found a really cool web-page with some innovative Exercise/training ideas.
    Check it out:
    http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym25.htm

Lemme know what you think....
    Your Brother
    John

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links