Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There Are Other Things

Thanks

Default There Are Other Things

Sure, you can master Kenpo to a degree in which you could easily incapacitate an opponent in seconds. But what else is there? How do your skills live beyond what you can or have accomplished?
    By what you teach, and by the example you set.

Thanks

Default Re: There Are Other Things

I saw this quote. The author wasn't noted, but I thought it brings something important to our concept of training and the way we see ourselves through our art.

"What level of imperfection will you settle for in yourself? If there is more to Kenpo, why not grasp it? Kenpo tries to build a person's psychological persona as well as turning the 'ego self' into the 'ego-less self'."

To me, it means, that Kenpo doesn't give itself to you. Rather, you should give yourself to Kenpo to get the most from the art.

Thanks

Just being a little philosophical.

Thanks

'Ask not what kenpo can do for you, but rather what you can do for kenpo?'

I'm willing to settle for some imperfection for an extended period of time, but not forever. I like to think of it as 'leaving room for improvement.'

What I do for kenpo is try find better and better ways to pass it on.

As I teach, so shall I learn.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I'm willing to settle for some imperfection for an extended period of time, but not forever. I like to think of it as 'leaving room for improvement.'

What I do for kenpo is try find better and better ways to pass it on.

As I teach, so shall I learn.

--Amy
    I totally agree with that. I don't have to be perfect in all area- some things I can come back to later on and improve. I was kind of thinking about the students who don't come to class for awhile, then come back and act surprised when they realize they aren't getting any better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

SGM Ed Parker himself said, " I realize that what I know is nothing compared to what there is to learn."

I haven't been instructing as long as some folks 'round here, but I'd wager good money that any one of them would tell you that no matter how many times they see a technique performed they often will discover something new about it. I know I do. You just have to keep your eyes and mind open.

When the opportunity to learn knocks on your door, open it up and say, "Howdy! How are ya?!? Glad you could make it!" LOL. Neeeever, eeeeeever slam the door on a new experience just 'cause you think you know it all already. The only one that can limit your learning is you.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Very well said. I totally agree.
    I've actually seen a guy so frustrated at the white belt stage, that he pretended to go to the bathroom, and walked out, never to be seen again. I sometimes think about that and wonder "what did he expect if he only made class once every two weeks?"
    Kinda reminds me of Ed Parker's quote. "Kenpo is for everybody-but not everybody is for Kenpo."

Thanks

Wow hearing all this sure makes me glad i am perfect and understand everythig flawlesly the frist time... even all the techniques I have never seen before... hey.... I have been going to class for 3 weeks now.. why dont I have that many red things on my black belt... where did I get the black bel? ummm chinatown... 12 bucks.. seemed allot easer than buying all the ones int eh middle.... what? ... why are you looking at me that way?
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    Wow hearing all this sure makes me glad i am perfect and understand everythig flawlesly the frist time... even all the techniques I have never seen before...
    I agree; total perfection in all things is an excellent way to be. I've certainly enjoyed it.

I only went through all those other belt levels so other people wouldn't feel so intimidated by me. I make 'mistakes' sometimes for the same reason.

It's all out of consideration for others. I know, I'm an angel.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I agree; total perfection in all things is an excellent way to be. I've certainly enjoyed it.

I only went through all those other belt levels so other people wouldn't feel so intimidated by me. I make 'mistakes' sometimes for the same reason.

It's all out of consideration for others. I know, I'm an angel.

--Amy
    Whew... I thought I was the only one for a bit there... and that it might make me appear full of myself which of course would be a fault and thus less than perfect.. but I thought.. not possible...
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

Anyone have any suggestions on how to encourage students who are frustrated?
    Last edited by Mikael151; 05-24-2006 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to encourage students who are frustrated?
    Interestingly enough, there's a wee bit of psych researcfrustration actuh into "breakthrough" experiences. It appears that frustration actually means you are about to learn something new; that you are on the verge of an "aha!". Rome wasn't built in a day.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

That's interesting. Now that I think about it, there usually has been a frustration period before I had the "Aha! Moment". So for frustrated students, how do I tell them they're about to have that break through?

Thanks

That's interesting. Now that I think about it, there usually has been a frustration period before I had the "Aha! Moment". So for frustrated students, how do I tell them they're about to have that break through?
    You could tell them that they are very close to a breakthrough. Kind of blunt, but it would get the message across.

If someone is frustrated with a particular move, go back and find the part of the move that they don't understand. They might think they understand it, but if you ask them to explain it, they really don't.

So have them go through the move with you and explain it as they go. When they start to stumble on a part, then that's the part they didn't understand, which is throwing off the rest of the technique.

--Amy

Thanks

Good idea. I never thought of that approach. It makes sense to have the student explain to me what they're doing as they understand it. The saying is very true: "If you want to really learn something, teach it."

Thanks

Well since I was very recently a frustrated student I will list what worked well for me. I opted out of a test the last time around so I have been working on material that was presented to me back when I first started in Kenpo. A little over a year and I admit that I was thinking yeah, I know this stuff so let’s get on with the one thing I need to test the next time (long 1). I admit I came to class the first few times with well less desire than normal. But then we worked on a tech that I THOUGHT I knew inside and out. I think my instructor could tell I needed a kick in the pants, so he changed class up for about a week.

So anyway back to the tech I thought I knew inside and out Delayed Sword. We make a tech line nothing new there, but my instructor waited till I was up and said ok instead of doing, five swords, twisting the limb, Shield and Hammer, or, a bunch more that I can’t think of right now, do delayed sword. At first I thought he was kidding. All this time I had been doing that tech for just a grab but then I did the first part of five swords and finished with delayed sword. It was like I just started all over in Kenpo. Then I thought well dummy why didn’t I think of that before this point. And also in going back over tech’s I learned a year ago I found that well smarty pants I was not doing it totally correctly. I was missing small things that made a big difference. And now I see my decision to skip the test and go back over the old stuff as a blessing.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

I'm completely with you on that.

I've got what feels like a ton of techniques that I have tested on an theoretically already know, but there's always something new to be done.

Dropping a knee here, anchoring there...makes all the difference.

Crashing Wings, for instance. I've done that technique a zillion times, but it wasn't until I was teaching it that I realized the importance of the hip check to knock the attacker off balance. Duh.

Make my job easier by making them fall faster. That's an orange belt move.

I look forward to teaching all the techniques for a long time to come because I suspect I have a lot to learn.

--Amy

Thanks

We don't do Delayed Sword or Sword of Destruction any more in the AKKI, but I remember those very well. I'm probably the only one in my class that will add a kick to the tech's that we use in their place.
    Hemi, that's a good idea. I'm working some of our new Brown material, and when I show beginning tech's to lower belts, I do find things in there that I either forget, or completely overlooked when I learned them. It's very humbling to have an Orange belt teach me something!

Thanks

It's very humbling to have an Orange belt teach me something!
    I agree. Like when you show them something and they say, "I was reading the material you gave me and practicing what you showed me. Does that have a such and such there?" Or "Isn't that for a RIGHT punch?"

Ooops.

--Amy

Thanks

Or "doesn't the elbow turn into a rolling backfist instead of a swordhand?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links