Thread: CDT "Reviews" anyone?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default CDT "Reviews" anyone?

I'm currently considering getting certified in CDT (http://www.cdt-training.com/) to market the curriculum and I would like to know the current opinion of people about CDT. I first looked into this 1 or 2 yrs ago and it was in several magazines and on the news...

Currently I have contacted 2 former CDT Certified instructors to see why they are no longer current. It looks to me like a great mini-course/primer/intro on self-defense and may be a good lead-in to a more tradition school for people who want "more stuff." It also seems to address several areas that are not specifically addressed in Kenpo and this looks to me like a great way to cover some of those areas such as restraining holds, pressure points and nerve strikes quickly.

And I haven't been on this board in a while so I'm not trying to become a nerve-strike master in 2 easy lessons, but I think it would be beneficial for me to see what they have and how they present it. I'll thank Mr. Billings here again (and congratulations on your promotion to 5th, sir) for hosting a seminar with Joe Lansdale a few years ago. That ran about 4hrs and I learned a very great deal. I anticipate going back for more of that as well in 2006.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Thanks

Default Re: CDT "Reviews" anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by cdhall
    I'm currently considering getting certified in CDT (http://www.cdt-training.com/) to market the curriculum and I would like to know the current opinion of people about CDT. I first looked into this 1 or 2 yrs ago and it was in several magazines and on the news...

Currently I have contacted 2 former CDT Certified instructors to see why they are no longer current. It looks to me like a great mini-course/primer/intro on self-defense and may be a good lead-in to a more tradition school for people who want "more stuff." It also seems to address several areas that are not specifically addressed in Kenpo and this looks to me like a great way to cover some of those areas such as restraining holds, pressure points and nerve strikes quickly.

And I haven't been on this board in a while so I'm not trying to become a nerve-strike master in 2 easy lessons, but I think it would be beneficial for me to see what they have and how they present it. I'll thank Mr. Billings here again (and congratulations on your promotion to 5th, sir) for hosting a seminar with Joe Lansdale a few years ago. That ran about 4hrs and I learned a very great deal. I anticipate going back for more of that as well in 2006.

Thanks in advance to everyone.
    I don't see how it could hurt. There is nothing wrong with more knowledge. I have a friend who did this and he has gotten better at kenpo because of it.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Well, the things you mention as not being in plain old kenpo most certainly are there in plain old kenpo--but other than that, I can't see much wrong with buying one of the many excellent martial arts products that are out there.

I also can't see that much wrong with trying to make a buck teaching the material (other than that's a little hard to do after one four-hour seminar and some tapes), given that this is a capitalist economy and martial arts are just another commodity.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Guys,

With all do respect, be careful of what you spend you time and money on.
    I do believe that cross training can be beneficial if it does not create bad habits and can help make one a better martial artist.
    My time is precious to me as Iím sure it is for everyone else and unless I can really perceive the cross style helping my system out then I donít want any part of it.

With that said I would say beware of this CDT. After seeing clips of their stuff I can not see how any legitimate kenpoist could not gather the ineptness of their techniques.
    That stuff could get you killed. Oh, I could see it working if you are really lucky and the attacker is drunk, stoned, and clueless.
    OK, I know Iím a bit harsh but if you are studying the same Ed Parkerís American Kenpo that I have then you have been trained to spot the holes and flaws in your and others technique.

Also, I must say that this Patire guyís name has been on a few forums. Mcdojo.com (now www.bullshido.net) had a couple of his past students and people claiming to know him talking about CDT as being made up crap and Patire being a phony.

Well, guys all I can say is Parker gave me the tools to spot bad techniques and I hope he did the same for you.

Yours in Kenpo,
    Mike Guercio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

It seems like a good way of getting bodies in the door, which may increase your student enrollment.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

A very expensive way to say "We teach self defense". Should not Kenpo and self defense be the same??

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Yep,

The CDT marketing is big and flashy but personally I donít want to be a McDojo and sell something that is just to bring people in the door.
    What kind of instructor would teach his students something that is just a marketing ploy?

Yours in Kenpo,
    Mike Guercio

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I don't see how it could hurt. There is nothing wrong with more knowledge. I have a friend who did this and he has gotten better at kenpo because of it.
    Thank you for the useful info. Several others on this thread have chose to make much less useful statements or go of on a tangent completely.

I'll rephrase my question to help anyone else who might know about this stuff:

1. Does any here have direct knowledge of CDT because they have been taught a seminar and/or have been certified in it?

2. If 1. is "yes" then do you think it teaches valuable material as a stand-alone "course"?

3. Does anyone here use CDT as a commercial product? I want to know if it is relatively hard or easy to sell one of their seminars (assuming of course that the material is worthwhile)?

Please refrain from posting any more comments on the nature of capitalism, "secret" moves in Kenpo, theories about the material if you haven't experienced it. That is why I'm posting. I'm curious about who has direct (or even indirect like parkerkarate) experience.

If anyone wants to start another thread for a similar reason, feel free. I have been to one "pressure point" type seminar and I thought the guy was going to be a clown, but his stuff worked and it was effective and his material was not specifically addressed in the Kenpo curriculum as I've known it but this is stuff for another thread, please. I may start or join one myself after Thanksgiving if there is interest.

I just noticed that the similar thread on MartialTalk was more like what I was expecting here if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by cdhall; 11-23-2005 at 12:19 AM.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I attended a CDT "law enforcement" seminar a couple of years back. Although I think what was offered had some merit and value, I do not think they offered anything that could not be extracted or put together from American Kenpo techniques and basics. I think that if a guy wanted to put together some striped down 2-3 move techniques and teach them as an introductory self defense course and market it as such they could do just as much without paying a huge amount for something they already have with a logo attached.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    I attended a CDT "law enforcement" seminar a couple of years back. Although I think what was offered had some merit and value, I do not think they offered anything that could not be extracted or put together from American Kenpo techniques and basics. I think that if a guy wanted to put together some striped down 2-3 move techniques and teach them as an introductory self defense course and market it as such they could do just as much without paying a huge amount for something they already have with a logo attached.
    Thanks BamBam, is that you, BamBam Hunter?

Anyway, what also appeals to me about CDT, assuming that the material is good, is that they claim to teach this "liability conscious" curriculum so from a sales perspective they are a 3rd party when you go out and sell their stuff.

They also offer marketing support and other stuff so that "they look good on paper" to me.

If their material is good, I'll fish around about their curriculum being liability conscious and their marketing support. Since I've found 2 former affiliates who have dropped them I'm curious to see if they dropped them because the marketing support wasn't there or because the liability issues weren't resolved or what.

Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to other posts based on experience or reliable third party stories.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My instructor is certified and I'll vouch for it. As an addition, it's extermly effective in a "Liablity concious, camera friendly" mindset, ideal for those in the public eye. I think in the end it's the attitude of the instructor, not the system that will give it worth to you.
    James D. "Vaudeville" Maxwell
    Missoula, Montana

"Flow without direction is spary"
    C. Crews

The IKKO WILL take over the world, the Golden One will have his reckoning. Prepare mere mortals, a wonderful begining awaits you all!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alleydog

Also, I must say that this Patire guy’s name has been on a few forums. Mcdojo.com (now www.bullshido.net) had a couple of his past students and people claiming to know him talking about CDT as being made up crap and Patire being a phony.

Yours in Kenpo,
    Mike Guercio
    I just took a quick look at Bullshido as Mike reccomended and found a guy warning people off of CDT and he says this:

"The techniques are ok and will work if properly applied. My complaint is not on the system itself but on the extreme cost and what you get for your money."

Part of his complaint is about recertification which I see as a plus. If you ask around in the Kenpo community you will find people who say that Mr. Parker should have "recertified" his guys as well. So I disagree with $100/mo being too much money to spend on something that works and does what it says it does.

I'll report back if I find anything else interesting over there but even this post was valuable to me so I'll keep looking. Thanks for the lead.

Once again, I have not taken a class of any type myself, but I think I will take one of them to feel for myself.

P.S. I'm editing to include this link to the post in question
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...&highlight=CDT

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdhall
    Thanks BamBam, is that you, BamBam Hunter?

Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to other posts based on experience or reliable third party stories.
    Yes it is I! The infamous Bam Bam! How are you doing Doug? Congrats on the recent promotion by the way! Good luck figuring out what you want to do, my personal opinion is all the tools you see in CDT are available in the Parker System Yellow and Orange Belt Keep us posted!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for that heads up. I was always curious about CDT and what it offered.
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links