Thread: Mr. Parkers Books

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Mr. Parkers Books

So, I'm sure that most people here have read them already, but I had a hard time convincing myself that I needed them. Finally, I broke down and purchased Infinite Insights 1-5, Law of the Fist and Empty Hand, Guide to the Nunchaku, and The Encyclopedia, just to round out my library of martial arts books. Now, I'm not sure how I went so long without them. The 'infinite insights' into Kenpo that are contained within each one of the books boggles my mind. Lots of it is stuff I have read/heard/seen before, but to see it in text is great. I can't recomend them enough, and I suggest everyone go out and buy their set now. I got mine from http://www.kenponet.com/ Took almost three weeks to get here, but I'm very happy. Good prices too.
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai
    "If you train very hard, you will be very good." - Remy Presas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Default Re: Mr. Parkers Books

A must have for all Kenpo-ists!
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Ė Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

There really isn't any review of the product. Please provide a review or this thread will be move to a different section of the site.
    Last edited by Rob Broad; 05-06-2007 at 07:08 PM.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Ah yes, of course, silly me, I was caught up in how great they are Infinite Insights is designed to accompany your promotions to various belts, and are geared towards different levels of understanding as you deepen your Kenpo knowledge. They are not meant to be read alone, but rather as a complete set. Each book builds upon the basics laid down in the one before. Book 1 addresses basic history, philosophy, and danger assessment and avoidance. Book 2 covers a little more history and philosophy, then moves on to the basic stances, foot work, and body positioning. Book 3 is also covering basics. Blocks, strikes, and specialized moves. The book ends with a brief section of fitness and stretching. Book 4 moves on to mental aspects, breathing, and the senses. The meat of the book is made up of target areas and the appropriate ways and weapons to hit them with. The end of the book really pulls the Universal Pattern together. Book 5, the final book, pulls everything else together, and goes over the basics of self defense, attack, and motion. The basic techniques and forms are covered in great detail before going into a section on freestyle sparring. In all of the five books, everything is explained in pain staking detail. Not a single facet of a technique or concept is left without making sure it is completely understood. Everything is well shown with either pictures or drawings from multiple angles. As a compliment to this, The Encyclopedia is nothing more then all the terms from the books arranged in an easy to find format.

Kenpo Karate is really nothing more then the information from II condensed into a smaller book. The first section of the book goes over in great detail various exercises and lists many moves to strengthen the body as well as various bag and workout drills. The rest of the book goes over basic self defense techniques. I did not find this section to be near as helpful as the ones in II.

Ed Parkers Guide to the Nunchaku is the most complete book on Nunchaku I have ever read. It covers everything you need to know, from selecting a proper weapon, sizing it to you, basic foot and body work, and all the hand motions. It then goes over a multitude of techniques using what was previously taught. My only complain is how Mr. Parker insists that one brand of the Nunchaku is better then all others. At times this makes the book read like a bad advertisement, although it's easily looked over.
    Last edited by Dharma_Punk; 05-06-2007 at 01:41 PM.
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

His conchuku design is great. You should really make a pair to try them out.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

As a side note, Mr. Parkers assertion from time to time that Christianity is superior to all other religions and moralities bothers me, but it's easily looked over. I don't like religion to be mixed in with technical studies, regardless. I've not yet tried to construct a chonchaku, but will shortly. Till then, everything works well with normal nunchaku.

Thanks

These reviews were written by a student of mine, Lance Hitchcock, and posted on our private school forums, used with permission.

These reviews were originally posted on the old forum, written by Lance Hitchcock.

Infinite Insights Into Kenpo

The Infinite Insights Into Kenpo series is made up of five short books which, despite their brevity, comprise an invaluable treasure throve of information about the art as set down by Senior Grand Master Ed. Parker himself. Each text focuses on a different aspect of the Kenpo system. Volume one, Mental Stimulations, begins with a brief but informative history of the general development of the martial arts and then goes into greater detail on Kenpo itself. This section especially focuses on the need for innovation in the arts so they can spontaneously adapt to changing conditions. The need for adaptation to prevailing conditions is stressed throughout the volume, even to the physical and mental abilities of the user as long as the underlying principles remained intact. Other sections in the book add to the history by discussing such things as the development of the rank system for Kenpo and the categorization of the material to be studied. Another major point of the book is to use analogy so as to communicate clearly. For example, likening self defense techniques being composed of various maneuvers, blocks, strikes, and stance changes to words being composed of letters which are rearranged to form different words and sentences being groups of words which again can be altered to fit the situation. The final section of Mental Stimulations discusses the need to develop the ability to avoid danger as a prerequisite to studying Kenpo. This is an especially interesting section as it talks about the need for situational awareness and how to assess situations for potential danger by looking at such factors as potential weapons, range, etc. Unlike many other martial arts books each volume of Infinite Insights concludes with a glossary. An excellent idea considering how many martial arts use the same terms to express different concepts. In later volumes the highly technical nature of the material makes this feature very very useful.

Infinite Insights Into Kenpo Volume II: Physical Analyzation I

In this second of the five short books which make up the Infinite Insights series, Senior Grand Master Ed. Parker begins by completing his history of Kenpo. From there the book goes into preparing oneself through exercises and from there into the basics of Kenpo. In discussing the Basics SGM Parker makes an special point of the need to learn these thoroughly and with precision much as one learns the basics of academics in elementary school before going on to higher education. He elucidates on several points including REARRANGEMENT and SOPHISTICATED SIMPLICITY. From this launching pad he begins the learning process with an in depth discussion of stances. First mentioning stance changes and the need to closely coordinate actions such as striking or blocking with stance changes. Each stance is then described in great detail both in writing and with illustrations. A nice feature is that each stance is followed by a short summation of the major points made in the discussion. The next chapter deals with maneuvers, the discussion of which concludes Volume II except for the glossary feature mentioned in the review of Volume I. As mentioned in the review of Volume I, this text is not meant to be read in a single sitting. Instead it will take some time as the material is very detailed. However, like a dictionary it makes an excellent quick reference.

Infinite Insights Into Kenpo Volume III: Physical Analyzation II

In Volume III of V, Senior Grand Master Ed. Parker continues his discussion of the basics of Kenpo. He again begins with the emphasis on the need to understand the basics because the principles of Kenpo are what allow for the effective application of the skills learned. After reviewing the five divisions of the basics he continues the learning process with an in depth discussion of blocks, strikes, and specialized methods. The section on blocks and strikes are divided into different types such as striking block, pinning block, etc. They are also subdivided based on what limb is used to deliver the block or strike. The specialized section includes moves which are related to the other categories but are of such a different nature SGM Parker felt they belonged in a separate classification. They include such things as throws, buckles, trips, bear hugs, etc. He concludes the chapter with a reminder of the importance of learning every possible way to deliver you natural weapons, which are shown in an excellent illustrated chart at the end of the preceding chapter. The final chapter of the volume exercises conducive to training including pre stretching, exercises, and stretching. The book concludes with another volume of the glossary of Kenpo. As mentioned in the review of Volume I and Volume II, this text is not meant to be read in a single sitting. Instead it will take some time as the material is very detailed. However, like a dictionary it makes an excellent quick reference.

Infinite Insights Into Kenpo Volume IV: Mental and Physical Constituents

In Volume IV of IIK Opens with a discussion mentally conditioning oneself for Kenpo. From there it transitions into a discussion of proper breathing. The next section on targets is lavishly illustrated with photos and drawings. It covers the gamut of possible targets such as bones and internal organs. It also discusses the weapons covered in previous volumes. Zone theory is talked about in both in targets and as a separate chapter. It is also well illustrated with diagrams showing the zones. There is also an entire chapter devoted to the Concepts and Principles of Kenpo. In fact my posting on Principles mentions this volume more than any other. The final chapter of the volume talks about the universal pattern which includes the triangle theory we have gone over in workouts. As with all the other volumes this one concludes with a glossary of Kenpo. As mentioned in the review of Volume I and Volume II, this text is not meant to be read in a single sitting. Instead it will take some time as the material is very detailed. However, like a dictionary it makes an excellent quick reference.

Infinite Insights Into Kenpo Volume V: Mental and Physical Applications

The last volume in the series, IIK5 combines the basics discussed in all the previous volumes by several means. It starts first with several forms. The next sections go over Priorities of Self Defense and Nature of Attacks. This leads up to a discussion of many self defense techniques as examples of the system. Another way all the material is combined is Freestyle/Sparring. As with all the other volumes this one concludes with a glossary of Kenpo.

~By Lance Hitchcock
    ~ Steve Zalazowski
    Continuing Student of the Arts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IWishToLearn For This Useful Post:

Dharma_Punk (05-09-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links