Thread: Gis

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Gis

Been training in a Bu Jin gi for 8 months or so now and so far so good . exelent build quality and nice features such as a deep crotch gusset , a coolmax linning and the ability to order different sizes in pant vs. jacket and made in Colorado but not inexpensive.
    www.bujindesign.com/
    Just reccived a Ronin Judo/Ju-Jitsu gi in black, 70 bucks, very pro build, get rid of the "made in Pakistan" label and you would think its Japan made. On a few judo forums they have been highly regarded and I can see why. Time will tell though. Purchased from www.discountmas.com
    and can't say enough about their customer service. ordered a Shureido on sunday night, they called me monday and explained to me that they were out of stock and it would be about a month and they would only get about ten or so in my size in and offered to cancel the order, back order or ship me somthing else. I told him what I was looking for he recommened the ronin that was 100 dollars cheaper!

Last but not least the Tiger Claw "Ed Parker" kenpo gi. Total crap jacket, pants are not to bad. I would say spend your money elsewhere.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RamsHead For This Useful Post:

Anoise (05-02-2007),Dianhsuhe (04-22-2007),profesormental (04-22-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Gis

I got the tiger claw gi, what don't you like about it(besides the price?)?

I really like the pants. What I don't like about it was that it looks stone washed and after one washing the gi lost alot of color.

Thanks

I have had an EP Jr. GI since it came out and have had no issues with it what-so-ever. In fact I prefer it over many others I have and I have been training in the arts for 30+ years (had allot of GIs).
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

I don't like the sleeves of either the Hayashi or Ed Parker gis. The sleeve are wide, they meet the body of the gi probably two inches lower than the cut on my Juka or Tokaido. Makes for some weird binding. My oldest gi is a Tiger Claw Hayashi (about 10 years old) and somewhere along the way they changed the cut. The new one is relegated to the closet and only pulled out for competition so it stays nice and black and I only have to wear it twice a year.

I much much prefer the Jukas.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I find the cut of the Parker Jacket is not to my taste and after about a year and a half of use the stitching is starting to pop in a few spots and dose not bode well for longevity. Perhaps Quality Control is not up to snuff, just reporting my experince.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Ronin reveiw part 2 : Got a size 6 , washed it twice in hot water then dried on hot and the shrinkage was significant on the jacket ( what I was hoped for ) to about a size 5 and a half ( I am 5'11" 38" waist 47" chest and its dang near perfect) it has a longer skirt which I prefer ( just covers the butt cheeks) and the movement is really nice. The lapel is no joke, you could probably tow a hummer with it, I gotta get the pants hemmed but they seem like they will be quite comfortable although it will be my first time with a "traditional" draw string only pant, but atleast I don't have to worry about any elastic giving out. I should also mention that it has no jacket ties so if you gotta have 'em look elsewhere.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Interesting that you bring this up. I have never heard of Bu Jin before, but it looks like they make good products. I'm in the market for a new gi, and I was thinking about getting a Century 14 oz. Ironman uniform. I might have to reconcider it now that I've been introduced to this new company. My current uniform is like 6 oz., so I'm not sure about going to a 12 or 14 oz. uniform, but I think I will like it.
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai
    "If you train very hard, you will be very good." - Remy Presas

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I really like my Bu Jin and thier customer service is great, I would say that thier Gis are worth the money.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

What do you think about the weight of the Bu Jin uniform, is it very hot (assuming you got the 12 oz.)?
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Its a nice stiff canvas with a lot of pop and it does not really drape so you get good ventilation. Its going to be hotter than what your used to but I dont think its that bad and it holds its color well.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I'm curious, does the fabric soften after time, or does it stay hard and inflexible?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I would not say it is infexible by any means, but because it is not brushed cotton it dose have more "body" . Will it soften over time? yes, much like a stiff pair of jeans it will break in over time. from new it is stiffer but by no means uncomfortable, infact with the coolmax in the jacket I would bet it would become your favorite Gi (For me its a tie between the Ronin ju jitsu top and the Bu Jin top ) the pants are comfy as well. I ordered the "kenjitsu" cut which has shorter sleeves and longer tail and knee re-enforcment.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Sounds good. I'm about to be promoted to brown belt, and when I am I will order one for my new uniform. My school allows brown belts to wear black gis, and I think my current lightweight white uniform is nearing the end of it's lifespan.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Congrats on your promotion brother !

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links