Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplements to Kenpo

MXB
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Question Supplements to Kenpo

I am a first black in the Tracy's system of Kenpo (soon to be second black). I really enjoy Kenpo and martial arts in general. Due to my general interest in martial arts, I am looking for some DVD's to supplement my knowledge, particularly the following: Combat Krav Maga, FIGHT System and Full Body Boxing (www.victorioushands.com). I am just wondering if anybody has seen/used these videos and your thoughts. I can't afford all of them so I want to see which set may best compliment Kenpo. Thanks everyone. I am new to the forum...look forward to speaking with you in the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

Default Re: Supplements to Kenpo

Personally, I don't put much faith in DVD learning, esp. if it is a system in which you don't have any prior experience.

I think your time and effort would be much better spent working on your kenpo. If you want to study something else, find a teacher. If DVD is your only option, I would suggest you don't do it. Save your money and focus your efforts and time on what you already have, and make that as strong as it can be.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks

http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum//showthread.php?t=3631 a previous discussion about Krav. Krav could be a good thing, but, if you're studying Kenpo you already know what they know. I agree with Flying Crane on this. Save up for a plane ticket and seminar to meet your favorite instructor-you'll get so much more out of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Why learn Krav Maga in many cases it is a watered down Kenpo. You probably know what they will teach you. If you need to go outside the Tracy system why not EPAK type tapes that will supplement what you already know.
    You will understand these DVD. They are taught the way you are used to learning. Also the Phillipine Martial arts dove tail nicely into a Kenpo back ground. Arnis,Kali and such. We have done it for over 25 years. Many Kenpo schools accross the country do so.
    Also you will learn new ways of doing a lot of the tech that you already know. No one system has it all. They each have their good points about them. If you are talking about getting into Akido or Jui Jutsu thats another story. They are grappling arts. You will need seperate instruction for them.
    Good luck in your quest.

I am most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Jujutsu, Chin Na or Filipino Martial arts will tie into your Kenpo very well.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I agree with Kempojujutsu. Jujitsu, Chi Na or Fillipino Martial Art (FMA) is a very good supplement to Kenpo. You will love it, it will make sense, it will feel right, and you will pick it up really quickly. Look at David German's Tai Kenpo....he incorporated Jujitsu, Newaza (ground fighting), Chi Na and Kickboxing into his Kenpo....then look at Jeff Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 he's added jujitsu, ground fighting, and learning to fight against MMA/UFC guys. In FMA you will learn escrima, knife techniques, sword and gun techniques...which Kenpo already has some, but an excellent supplement. I just started taking FMA classes about 3 months ago and I'm loving it. Even their open hand techniques/forms is very similar to our kenpo stuff. Hope this helps.

One more thing, yes classes are always better than DVD. But if there's no other option, DVD is not bad since you've already mastered one art, the second style will come very easily.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Lang View Post
    One more thing, yes classes are always better than DVD. But if there's no other option, DVD is not bad since you've already mastered one art, the second style will come very easily.
    I am not real familiar with Tracy's Kenpo but I do not believe it is possible to "master" an art by Nidan. One may begin to master the basics but mastery of the art would require MANY years of study and practice. I also think that beginning a 2nd art in this manner could be more difficult because the execution of the movements may be different to what you currently know so you would have to unlearn the other, learn the new then be able to flip back and forth when you go to your live class. Trust me I went from 1 Kempo to another and it was VERY challenging because even the stances and kicks were different...And I was fortunate to leave one for another and have live instruction. I did take Aikido while I was studying Kara-Ho, it was very easy to pretend that I knew nothing, because I didn't

As for DVD learning, I suppose it depends on how closely the art resembles what you currently practice. I have studied yoga by video and because I am not very familiar with it, I have a TON of questions about it that a live instructor could easily answer.

What schools are close to you exactly?

James
    Last edited by Dianhsuhe; 01-27-2007 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added stuff
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you for correcting me, Dianhsuhe. I should have used a different word. If by the time you become a black belt...if not mastered....what would be the right word?

Yes, I agree with you on going from one Kenpo/Kempo tree branch to another, it can be very difficult because you notice the "little" nuances from one kenpo instructor to another. I've seen kenpo styles where their horse stance is high and then others where their horse stance is low.

But you got to admit, expanding your knowledge of the other arts is not a bad idea...actually quite enlighting. I use to think kenpo was "it" (silly me)and I'm not dogging kenpo...I still love, live and breath kenpo. It's my first art and will always be loyal to it. But WOW, now that I'm taking FMA and basically starting all over as beginner...my eyes have opened up even more and very excited to learn new things and how somethings are different/similar/familiar all at the same time.

Warm regards.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Lang View Post

But you got to admit, expanding your knowledge of the other arts is not a bad idea...actually quite enlighting. I use to think kenpo was "it" (silly me)and I'm not dogging kenpo...I still love, live and breath kenpo. It's my first art and will always be loyal to it. But WOW, now that I'm taking FMA and basically starting all over as beginner...my eyes have opened up even more and very excited to learn new things and how somethings are different/similar/familiar all at the same time.

Warm regards.
    I've trained several arts, and i agree, it is eye-opening and enlightening, and I just enjoy it. But the difference is that I have always had a live instructor to work with, and it sounds like you also do for the FMA. That is doing it right. DVD, in my opinion, just doesn't do it right. It will be frustrating, the end results will be marginal at best, you could actually develop incorrect and harmful habits because you are interpreting something from a video, with no one to correct and help you. DVD to see what other things are like is fine, but don't try to actually learn an art from it. Waste of time in most cases.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Supplements to Kenpo

I've trained several arts as well but one that I've got my eye on now is JKD (Jeet Kune Do) It is a lot like Kenpo, do to the fact that Master Lee worked with Grandmaster Parker
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPK,Grasshopper View Post
    I've trained several arts as well but one that I've got my eye on now is JKD (Jeet Kune Do) It is a lot like Kenpo, do to the fact that Master Lee worked with Grandmaster Parker
    Many of Parker's Black Belts jumped over to study with Bruce Lee, including Danny Inosanto. Others with a Kenpo/JKD background include Larry Hartsell, Jerry Poteet, James Lee. I am sure they are others that I am forgetting.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kempojujutsu For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-21-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Supplements to Kenpo

last time i talked to dan inosanto and asked him about kenpo he said that he still teaches it to phys-ed students when teaching in a high school. i have personally crossed trained in many different arts to enhance my kenpo. take the thai knee or kick in kenpo we do low line kicks but we do not generally isolate it,just train kicks in our basics.
    my crosstraining lineage is
    Parker/Planas Kenpo
    Presas/Hartman Modern Arnis
    Hartsell/Irish Jeet Kune Do
    and systema with Vlad when i find the time to go to toronto.
    later
    Jason Arnold
    ps keep an open mind and look for other arts within your kenpo,thats how it was created.
    Parker/Planas Lineage
    Presas/Hartman Arnis
    Hartsell/Irish JKD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jaybacca72 For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Based on your current rank I would assume you have more than just a general understanding of the arts. That being said, learnig by DVD should not be a problem for you. You can gleen a lot of useful info that would otherwise not be accessable to you through this medium.

I would suggest that you check into any system you chose to learn by DVD and make sure that feedback is available to you. In short, that a qualified instructor is available by phone and/or e-mail to address any concerns you have with the training. Idealy, I would request feedback on one's performance either by web-cam or video from the instructor. Even though some of us are disciplined enough to be "self-correcting" it always helps to have another set of eyes evaluating what we do.

IMHO, you've already learned a lot about practical self defense by studying Kenpo. It is, after all, about using "what works." Krav Maga is very similar to kenpo. I would suggest, if you want to cross train, to go into something that addresses your own personal weaknesses. Evaluate your skills and determine where you wish to become stronger. Once you have the answer to that, you will know what to pursue.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

MXB
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Supplements to Kenpo

Thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate it. If you do hear of anybody who has specific comments on the DVD sets I mentioned, please let me know.

One other question, can anybody recommend some good websites that provide lists of good sparring combinations? I'm always looking to add new, effective combinations to sparring but have actually not found many websites that are any good. Any suggestions are appreciated.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

www.lockflow.com has some good sparring drills as well as some other ground work drills. Nicely documented with pics and everything. Not everything is grade AAA so have a discerning eye.

Thanks

if i were to pick an art to compliment.. (i hate that term suppliment) my kenpo.. it would be prolly BJJ, Aikido, or Sanuces Ryu (i agree alot of the SR concepts, very much like Kenpo, and what iv seen and felt i like it.)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

We have always taught Kempo & Ju Jutsu as one art. Have added some escrima to the art that I teach. You can also see some BJJ, Judo, aikido, karate in Kempo Jujutsu. They are bi-products of the art.

Thanks

I know many kenpo schools that also use some form of Arnis/Kali/Escrima. That is a popular compliment.

Also, to go along with the BJJ, Judo... line of thinking, many Tracy's schools also do Shootfighting. You may want to check that out.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I use Wally Jay's Small Circle Jujitsu tapes, and Rick Fowlers tape on Lock Flows. My students love both of those as we work them into Tracy Kenpo! Perfects blends, both of them!

Some of the credit goes to Mr. Dave Hopper, 5th Dan, out of Louisiana, for passing on Small Circle's ideas to me!
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

The SCJJ material is VERY good...

My first Modern Arnis Guro (Hi, Chad!) was an uke for Prof. Jay's son Leon when George Dillman had him in for a seminar some years ago...

I'm lucky enough to have a copy of the video... and there is some really INCREDIBLE stuff on there...

Leon Jay is a great speaker... and very charismatic. Hopefully, one day, I'll get to attend a seminar with him...

The O'hara book on SCJJ is also good...

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew
    Andrew M. Goodwin - Student of the arts
    Middletown, DE

Blue Belt in Kenpo (5/12)
    9th Kyu in Budo Taijutsu (5/12)
    2nd Brown in TSD (8/98)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links