Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: karate connection videos ?

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default karate connection videos ?

Hello everyone im new here and was hoping for some feed back concerning the trainning videos from the karate connection,on thier site it says 8hours of material and i guess my question is can you learn all the forms and skills needed to recieve a black belt in only 8 hours of video.Like i said im new here and new to Kenpo but i have a wierd draw in me now to kenp like no other art ! , but im kinda forced to train buy video sorry to ramble any info would be greatly appreaciated thanx in advance!

Thanks

Default Re: karate connection videos ?

I'm not familiar with those vidoes, but I have to believe there should be a healthy assortment of Kenpo studios in California.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: karate connection videos ?

lol in california ...i would imagine your right in my town (NOT SO MUCH) hence i need to train by video lol ,but thank you for responding

Thanks

I'm sure Bill Parsons will jump in here soon, but I'll attempt a brief(er than his anywho) synopsis.

The DVD's are about 8 hours in length total, however these only comprise about 40-50% of the actual system. These more than double in length with the private lessons/critiques you receive when testing. Also - the total amount of techniques in the system has been reformulated to 55 and there are two "forms" in the IKCA system of kenpo.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

YES... now were getting somwhere,thank you ! .That does shine some light on things a bit , the reason i posted this up is i really do want to learn as much about kenpo as i can and quality is huge . I want to be sure that it is possible to become a true practioner of this art not be one of the "ohhhh he learned from video guys" lol,thanx for the response and please keep sharing the knowledge guys thanx

Thanks

The other thing I love about the IKCA is the support that is available from three different internet forums, phone calls to any number of our members who will gladly answer any questions, and the open door policy to visit any of the member schools at any time.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thank you again so much for posting on this,i was begining to wonder if there would be any further info lol.I have fully decided to go with the videos and after reading over and over the info thats up on thier site i feel at ease with the qaulity that they are offering and thier ability to teach via video .did you also go through this system ? if you dont mind me asking ,thanx againg and wish me luck im going in !

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Do you have any martial arts experience at all? It is possible to learn from the videos without prior experience, but you'd be much better off if you could find an instructor to work with. There are many nuances to the system that will be more difficult to grasp and apply with only the occasional feedback you receive from the video tests. I'm not saying it can't be done - it can, as long as you work hard, and take full advantage of all the opportunities afforded you. But regarding the IKCA itself, it is a good program, and it is good Kenpo. I can't think of anybody better to study with (although there are others of similar caliber) than Chuck Sullivan. So, if you're going to do it, then really do it! Watch those videos over and over again, and pay close attention to everything going on. You're right, 8 hours is not much actual instruction time, but when repeated over and over, it becomes much more. As an instructor, I can tell you that much of my instructing time is spent repeating what I've already taught my students -- we don't usually master something the first time we hear it. We must have repetition! So, good luck in your studies, and don't hesitate to ask if we can help you at all!

BTW, where in CA are you? PM me if you're not comfortable putting that info on the board -- maybe we can help find you an instructor, or at least a good training partner!

Good luck.
    Kenpo salute...

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

When it comes to video learning systems, you can't beat the IKCA system IMHO. If you decide to video test, you will recieve instructor feedback and pointers. It is better if you have a training partner though, if you can find one. The IKCA also usually holds about 4 seminars annually. There's usually one in California actually, so you can get hands on feedback on your training.
    How far are you from Seal Beach? If it's in driving distance you could visit the main school periodically and get feedback on your training as well. Just a thought.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your insight ,it really does mean a world to me.There is one Kenpo instructor in town at the usual monthly rate wich makes the value of the tapes huge to me,also i was reluctant to say before but i have anxiety disorder huge lol ,so it makes being in a social setting sometimes huge and as far as retention almost non-existent,so the benifit of being in my own home is off the charts.I am willing to give all to learn kenpo i have trained in go ju ryu in the past and with friends over the years on and off but when i saw kenpo i knew and for the first timeactually wanted to recieve my black belt.Maybe more than all thismy mom has been diagnosed with cancer and i have had to move in with her to help with pre-op and most definately after surgery and kenpo has giving me something to find "me time"/hope and im from the thought of the healing power of martial arts with my anxiety buy giving me the ability to focus and a outlet for all the ups and downs of life if you will lol.I dont mean to ramble and certainly am not looking for pity! I just simply wanted to state how for one person being me Kenpo is giving alot more than the ability to defend myself but also the ability to empower myself.Thank you so much for the wisdom and your time

p.s im in bakersfield ca

Thanks

Yes, I recently completed the Black belt material and was promoted into the Black ranks.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Ver cool to hear it. and congradulations by the way.If you guys dont mind about how long after placing your order do recieve your first tape

thanx again!!

Thanks

I order materials from them often through the website. www.karateconnection.com
    It usually only takes a week or so. Being in CA, you may get your's more quickly.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thank you sir, i was kinda thinking the same but with mail ya never no lol
    plus whats the saying a watched pot doesnt boil :P

Thanks

UC- pm me. I live in the Monterey, CA area and I receive my orders within 3 days during normal business traffic. (Not holidays .)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

well heres the deal, i ordered my videos on the 9th 2-day is the 19th and i still dont have **** to show for my money , when i called to ask about it im told yeah we have problems like this with the mail all the time .WTF why dont you put that on your web site under all the ordering information .. im sorry to go off on here but im so f-ing pissed off ,to me this is so frigging sad that every where we turn now days service has gone to **** and including the post office no f-ing wonder these bitches goe postal ohh well nothing i say will change anything or anyone but to God HOW THIS COUNTRY Needs a revolution,we have seriously went wrong folks when we are forced to eat **** because we have no control or say and if we do say **** not only will we never get our stuff etc.. we can count on never getting anything else in the mail from the damn post office again .. they have the necks designed for the choke in my opinion

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unshackled-chi View Post
    well heres the deal, i ordered my videos on the 9th 2-day is the 19th and i still dont have **** to show for my money , when i called to ask about it im told yeah we have problems like this with the mail all the time .WTF why dont you put that on your web site under all the ordering information .. im sorry to go off on here but im so f-ing pissed off ,to me this is so frigging sad that every where we turn now days service has gone to **** and including the post office no f-ing wonder these bitches goe postal ohh well nothing i say will change anything or anyone but to God HOW THIS COUNTRY Needs a revolution,we have seriously went wrong folks when we are forced to eat **** because we have no control or say and if we do say **** not only will we never get our stuff etc.. we can count on never getting anything else in the mail from the damn post office again .. they have the necks designed for the choke in my opinion
    Your kenpo and your health will both be greatly enhanced if you learn to relax. Patience, my friend. They will eventually arrive.

Good luck,

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unshackled-chi View Post
    Must be a fluke ... normally they are very fast.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

i know that guys its really just the princeable to me, if i know i have these problems i would let my buyers know in advance,so now i have to call back there and pay again to have them fed exd or some **** and wait even longer ya know ..its just the princeable. I dont live very far from where they are shipped out of to be blunt i seriously could have walked there by now..no kidding, i know or its not the karate connection who is at fault really its the damned post office but in my opinion if i was in thier own words having this problem often ( i would address it) anyway thanx for letting me vent !

Thanks

I definately feel your pain. There's been many times in the past where the postal service caused the viens in my head to violently bulge from my head!

My personal experience with the IKCA has been very good thus far. Every time I've called Vic picks up the phone and is always friendly. As a matter of fact, it's usually hard to get off the phone!! LOL. Not that I mind, I love hearing "Parker" stories. Especially from Vic. Most of them usually crack me up to the point of tears.

Take the opportunity to work on what I consider to be a very important "Kenpo Characteristic"; Patience. By nature I'm extremely impatient. If it weren't for the lessons I've recieved from my immediate sifu, I'd have had a stroke by now! I know it's frustrating, but you'll have your order before you know it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links