Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenpo 5.0?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Kenpo 5.0?

I would love to give you all a shining product review, but I still haven't recieved my DVD's even though my payment cleared about a month ago. I know the holiday season delays lots of mail and the weather in some areas could be a factor in the delay as well so I can understand that.

However, I am slightly disappointed in the "customer service", or lack thereof, I have recieved. My e-mails have gone unanswered so I am concerned that if I have questions about any of the material on the DVD's they will simply go unanswered or I'll simply have to try to figure things out on my own. I suppose I've been spoiled by the IKCA. Vic always answers the phone and promptly replies to my e-mails.

I know Amy had ordered some of the material. Amy? Are you out there? Have you recieved your materials yet? If so, could you provide some input on the material and perhaps what your experiences have been thus far in communicating with them? Maybe I just have a "bad e-mail" address.

Don't be in a hurry to learn this stuff! In all fairness they do state to allow 4-6 weeks for delivery on thier web site. I guess I just fell into the '6' week portion there. LOL. Hey, I've never been known for my patience!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo 5.0?

I got home for lunch and there was a Fed-Ex package waiting. It was the Orange Level DVD. Apparently the White Level DVD is on back-order.

I was able to watch it while I ate lunch. Outstanding production value. The technical breakdowns and explanations work in tandem with how the footage is edited for an excellent display of the technique and explanations of applied principles.

I was kind of disappointed that there was no new material on it though. It will be great to have as a review guide to Parker techniques, but I was actually interested in seeing the new ground oriented material. Does anyone know at what level of 5.0 you get into the new stuff?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I got home for lunch and there was a Fed-Ex package waiting. It was the Orange Level DVD. Apparently the White Level DVD is on back-order.

I was able to watch it while I ate lunch. Outstanding production value. The technical breakdowns and explanations work in tandem with how the footage is edited for an excellent display of the technique and explanations of applied principles.

I was kind of disappointed that there was no new material on it though. It will be great to have as a review guide to Parker techniques, but I was actually interested in seeing the new ground oriented material. Does anyone know at what level of 5.0 you get into the new stuff?
    I think Amy may have a technique breakdown now that she has an AKKS charter. I don't think they are keeping a tight lid on the technique names or changes as some associations do.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    I think Amy may have a technique breakdown now that she has an AKKS charter. I don't think they are keeping a tight lid on the technique names or changes as some associations do.
    The material he went over on the Orange DVD was pretty much textbook. There were 10 techs total. I can't remember them all, but there was Delayed Sword, Sword of Destruction, Alternating Maces, ummmm.... Lone Kimono... anyway that's a few, but no new material.

It also had Short 1 (done on both sides), and blocking set one with an extension into the first part of blocking set 2 (at least the way I was taught anyway.) None-the-less, it was all "old-hat" to me and I was interested in the "new stuff." Granted, I did learn one or two new things about the established techniques by seeing them from his perspective, but that's not what I was really after.

As I stated earlier it's great for me as a review resource, the method in which he breaks the techniques down and explains them is outstanding, but I was really interested in the changes he's made in regards to the "ground game".

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Amy now has the breakdown of the 5.0 techniques on her website. It includes the name of the technique and attack. No tech descriptions, but you can at least get an idea of the new material! Most of it appears on first glance to be in blue and second brown.
    The link is http://www.sacramentokenpokarate.com...echniques.html.

Salute.

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hi everyone and Merry Xmas! We are an AKKS school too. Have been watching thread regarding 5.0.. New 5.0 comes in at end of orange with new combat model Shielding hammer,Five swords,Raining claw and Glancing wing.first ground tec comes in at blue with "Gripping Leaves" s hope this helps.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

So excuse my ignorance here, as I mean no disrespect. So now that you have them what do you do with them? Do watch the DVD's, study the material then send in your video to be judged and then you pass a test? Do you have to find a school to train at locally? I've always wondered about this type of training. To the point I'm very interested in Mr. Speakman's evolution of Mr. Parker's art.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

im quite curious too..different question though.. do you have to be IN the AKKS to order the DVDs.. or can anyone order them? im just curious.. im in the AKKI, and im all about different ways of learning Kenpo, not only is kenpo groundwork interesting, but also against non committed attacks like jabs.... only problem for me is the AKKS school in town is run by someone i dont exactly respect. so i wont learn there. muchless set foot in the school to even get a DVD.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    im quite curious too..different question though.. do you have to be IN the AKKS to order the DVDs.. or can anyone order them? im just curious.. im in the AKKI, and im all about different ways of learning Kenpo, not only is kenpo groundwork interesting, but also against non committed attacks like jabs.... only problem for me is the AKKS school in town is run by someone i dont exactly respect. so i wont learn there. muchless set foot in the school to even get a DVD.
    Great point. Like yourself I and not affiliated with an AKKS school. There are noe that I know of in the Massachusetts area. Actually I'm not sure if there are any schools in New England.

Thanks

I know the IKCA course is well laid out. You recieve the DVD, study the material, tape yourself doing the material, mail it in, they review it and tape their comments on the end of it and mail it back to you. They also have at least 4 major seminars through-out the U.S. annually that Vic LeRoux personally attends so that all members will get an opportunity to get some one-on-one training with him and other top ranks in the organization. Very organized.

I e-mailed the AKKS with some questions similar to what you asked almost 2 months ago. Still no reply. But hey, there's nothing stopping you from trying to call or e-mail them. Maybe my e-mail got accidently deleted or something.

Thanks

Hello.

Sorry for my late arrival to this thread. I still haven't gotten any of my dvds and I'm more than annoyed. I'm going to see if I can call the person who was supposed to send it to me.

The delay is that they haven't been ready. There were some unanticipated editing glitches that slowed everything down.

Yes, you can buy them if you are not in the AKKS. I do believe he sells them to whoever wants them.

As for how it works, you can learn from the DVDs, and hopefully visit a school that has hands-on of the material. You have to be in the AKKS to test on it and that's done in either Lake Arrowhead (coming up in Feb.) or in Vegas as camp in June. I heard there is a third gathering in either Texas or Arizona sometime after June, but before Feb. I'm not sure.

The communication does leave something to be desired -- this is true.

From what I understand, this is unusual and due largely to the extra time put into the making of the DVDs and all the extra travelling Mr. Speakman is doing. He's been ridiculously busy the last 6 months or so.

I expect to see him at our school in the next couple of weeks, possibly for a seminar. I'm not clear what's going to happen, but I'll let everyone know.

And Crippler, are you sure you didn't get the yellow belt dvd? Those are the yellow belt techniques. The orange techniques have some of the new stuff.

www.sacramentokenpokarate.com has the list of techniques for each belt.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Hello.

Sorry for my late arrival to this thread. I still haven't gotten any of my dvds and I'm more than annoyed. I'm going to see if I can call the person who was supposed to send it to me.

The delay is that they haven't been ready. There were some unanticipated editing glitches that slowed everything down.

Yes, you can buy them if you are not in the AKKS. I do believe he sells them to whoever wants them.

As for how it works, you can learn from the DVDs, and hopefully visit a school that has hands-on of the material. You have to be in the AKKS to test on it and that's done in either Lake Arrowhead (coming up in Feb.) or in Vegas as camp in June. I heard there is a third gathering in either Texas or Arizona sometime after June, but before Feb. I'm not sure.

The communication does leave something to be desired -- this is true.

From what I understand, this is unusual and due largely to the extra time put into the making of the DVDs and all the extra travelling Mr. Speakman is doing. He's been ridiculously busy the last 6 months or so.

I expect to see him at our school in the next couple of weeks, possibly for a seminar. I'm not clear what's going to happen, but I'll let everyone know.

And Crippler, are you sure you didn't get the yellow belt dvd? Those are the yellow belt techniques. The orange techniques have some of the new stuff.

www.sacramentokenpokarate.com has the list of techniques for each belt.

--Amy
    Amy,

Thanks for the information. Just curious to see if Mr. Speakmen will be hainvg any seminars in or around the New England area. If you hear of any please let us know. Thanks again for explaining things a bit more.

Chris

Thanks

I just heard back from Mr. Conway, who is in charge of the Speakman website. He said his wife sent them on the 22nd of December, so it's just the slow mail that is the culprit.

Maybe in the next mail delivery.....

I don't know what his schedule is, but if I remember, I'll ask him.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Yeah, it's the Yellow. Sorry for the confusion. DOH! I'm still waiting on the "White". Though now I'm not as excited about it because it doesn't have any new material on it! LOL. I still want the whole set though. I just don't like the idea of having an incomplete set and I do want to see the new MMA influenced material.

Thanks

I just heard back again and it turns out that his wife didn't have me on the list, so it hasn't been sent at all. So much for being promised to be on the top of the list!

She's going to send it today.

The new ground fighting stuff starts at blue, I think. The new techniques start in purple.

There are a few of the revised ones that start in Orange.

--Amy

Thanks

I am currently, right this very minute, doing a happy dance.

Yes, that's right....a happy dance.

My DVDs just arrived via Fed Ex and I have just put the purple belt dvd into my computer to sit and enjoy.

Once I have watched a bit of it, let the questions and comments begin!!

--Amy

Thanks

Time for a review:

I have looked through several of the dvds. I haven't watched every technique, but enough to get a feel.

The production quality is excellent. The graphics are clean and appropriate, very professional and the audio is outstanding.

The descriptions of the techniques are clear as well. I think he could've slowed down the descriptions for some of the new stuff, as I am not familiar with some of the choke holds and such.

He has written descriptions that flash on the screen, as well as the audio and the video from different angles.

The only problem I have with them, thus far, is the katas and sets. They are all on there, but it's just Mr. Speakman or one of his students, running through it. No description, no discussion of where the strikes are and what you are using. This was important to me since my partner and I have differences of nuance from our different lineages and were counting on the dvds to clear things up for us. I guess we'll have to take it up with him in person.

That's the only thing that I don't care for. The rest is excellent and I'm excited to review the new techniques and get to work on them.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

My DVDs just arrived via Fed Ex and I have just put the purple belt dvd into my computer to sit and enjoy.
    WHOO! HOO!!!

Andrew M. Goodwin - Student of the arts
    Middletown, DE

Blue Belt in Kenpo (5/12)
    9th Kyu in Budo Taijutsu (5/12)
    2nd Brown in TSD (8/98)

Thanks

I got off the phone with Mr. Speakman earlier tonight and asked him about the katas. He said that he did them slowly (didn't seem slow to me), but that with the dvds, the people watching could put them on slo-mo to catch things. I'll be spending lots of quality time with the dvds in the next 3 or 4 days.

I hadn't actually thought of that because my computer doesn't do slo-mo very well. I told him that I missed the voice-over for those. I still have questions, but he's coming on Monday to spend a good chunk of the day with us. (Thus my spending a lot of time with the dvds)

(Yes, you may all swim in envy).

I'm very frustrated though because my partner Tara is out of the country in Canada right now. I hope she gets back in time, but I kinda doubt it. She's going to be so upset that she missed him.

I'm sure I'll learn a ton while he's here and I'll pass it all along.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I got off the phone with Mr. Speakman earlier tonight... he's coming on Monday to spend a good chunk of the day with us.

(Yes, you may all swim in envy).
    SWIM?!!!!

Heck! I'm DROWNING!!!

Sure wish I had some "spare" cash lying around! I'd book a flight out to CA, and be sitting on your doorstep when you came to open up the school on Monday!

Enjoy the DVD's, Amy! And please let us know how your Monday turns out! Here's to hoping your partner gets back toot sweet!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

P.S. If she doesn't make it back... I could always come out there and put on a wig! Think Mr. Speakman would catch on???
    Andrew M. Goodwin - Student of the arts
    Middletown, DE

Blue Belt in Kenpo (5/12)
    9th Kyu in Budo Taijutsu (5/12)
    2nd Brown in TSD (8/98)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links