Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bruce Everett Miller books?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Parkville
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 630 Times in 389 Posts

    Default Bruce Everett Miller books?

    http://fightingarts.com/estore/catal...sure_pts.shtml

    has anyone read this fellow's books in pressure points and whatnot.. i bought the "reflex points" about a year ago but never really gave it more than a quick glance.. one thing iv come to question.. he keeps mentioning katas like, some arts dont know what the hell they're doing in their katas. what katas are he refering to? what art, etc? i dunno, iv just done Kenpo.. my katas are explained to me what the hell im hitting, why, and all.

    but anyways. if anyone's heard of this fellow, read his works.. opinions, how accurate is his material, etc?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    http://fightingarts.com/estore/catal...sure_pts.shtml

    has anyone read this fellow's books in pressure points and whatnot.. i bought the "reflex points" about a year ago but never really gave it more than a quick glance.. one thing iv come to question.. he keeps mentioning katas like, some arts dont know what the hell they're doing in their katas. what katas are he refering to? what art, etc? i dunno, iv just done Kenpo.. my katas are explained to me what the hell im hitting, why, and all.

    but anyways. if anyone's heard of this fellow, read his works.. opinions, how accurate is his material, etc?
    Yes,
    I do love Mr. Miller's fine tuning of what he teaches. I've all of his materials and I've been applying his nerve cavity and pressure point concepts with thousands of clients over the past several years.
    His products are very affordable and the information is of a very high level.

    And Mr. Miller is correct, "most people who do katas do not have a clue to the hidden secrets in those katas".

    Again Mr. Miller was NOT refering to Kenpo Karate Kata but to Okinawan Kata and Chinese Kata.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

    madeku (07-12-2007),sifuroy (09-08-2007)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Parkville
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 630 Times in 389 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    thanks.. i finally got around to seeing a reply to this.. good to know.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt



  5. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (07-12-2007)

  6. #4
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,458
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Oddly enough Mr. Miller is a nurse and has done a lot of research on the subject that is pretty good. However before you get too deep, as a martial artist, he is beyond horrible giving me the impression that his pressure point research may have given him the idea he could just put a black belt on, and no one would notice. In the beginning he made the mistake of putting himself and some students on video. In my opinion, really really bad and obviously unfamiliar with the physical side of any arts.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (09-11-2007)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Parkville
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 630 Times in 389 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    im not sure i totally get what you're saying Doc.. the information is good, but he himself as a martial artist is not? or that both are not?
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt



  9. #6
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,458
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    im not sure i totally get what you're saying Doc.. the information is good, but he himself as a martial artist is not? or that both are not?
    Much of the information he presents is from a medical perspective, therefore vaild to a certain extent. However in my opinion he knows nothing about the martial arts from what I've seen of him.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Much of the information he presents is from a medical perspective, therefore vaild to a certain extent. However in my opinion he knows nothing about the martial arts from what I've seen of him.
    Well,

    You are correct about his martial arts abilities, even though he was sporting a black belt in something besides Kenpo.

    You are also correct about his medical perspective.

    When I got his stuff, I then took in to 4 of my clients, 3 medical doctors, and one chiropractor.

    Only the chiropractor had a clue.

    And I've not read his stuff for 10 years or more. Maybe even 15 years.

    DOC

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Oddly enough Mr. Miller is a nurse and has done a lot of research on the subject that is pretty good. However before you get too deep, as a martial artist, he is beyond horrible giving me the impression that his pressure point research may have given him the idea he could just put a black belt on, and no one would notice. In the beginning he made the mistake of putting himself and some students on video. In my opinion, really really bad and obviously unfamiliar with the physical side of any arts.
    Haha!

    I agree close to 100% with this post.

    He "looked" so bad I almost did not apply what he taught.

    But I did apply it and it did work.

    Of course Dillman was real pissed off at him because of the copycat effect.

    Doc John

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Parkville
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 630 Times in 389 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Much of the information he presents is from a medical perspective, therefore vaild to a certain extent. However in my opinion he knows nothing about the martial arts from what I've seen of him.
    gotcha.. however im glad that he does point out the key word in traditional chinese medicine.. is medicine.. and should be viewed as such.. the only book iv read is the reflex pressure points, non responders, muscle manipulation etc.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt



  13. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    2,796
    Thanks
    578
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    he keeps mentioning katas like, some arts dont know what the hell they're doing in their katas. what katas are he refering to? what art, etc? i dunno, iv just done Kenpo.. my katas are explained to me what the hell im hitting, why, and all.
    American Kenpo forms are (generally) composed from the individual techniques.

    Other arts start with the forms and extract techniques from them. Over time, poor teaching leads to people forgetting the techniques in whole or in part, and just doing the forms.

    Sometimes the actions in forms are abstract representations of the actual techniques. By intent or by atrophy.

    For example in one of the forms I know, it is taught as turn, block, step. punch. Which it clearly IS. however it is also grab, twist, lock, throw. SAME MOVEMENTS in the form, applied differently with hands on.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

    "...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

    "If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

    "For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (10-16-2007)

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    American Kenpo forms are (generally) composed from the individual techniques.
    I'm glad you said "generally".

    Because much of what is out there, even in Kenpo, is very lacking in effectiveness.

    I did find that the Miller manuals added much to that knowledge of "making it more workable".

    Especially his 9 different catagories of Nerve shots and Pressure points.

    Knowing what something is, and is not, really helps when you teach someone something very effective.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

    Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    gotcha.. however im glad that he does point out the key word in traditional chinese medicine.. is medicine.. and should be viewed as such.. the only book iv read is the reflex pressure points, non responders, muscle manipulation etc.
    Well,
    I got everything he put out, when he put them out, and I did study them and apply his concepts on live twitching humans.

    I was impressed with much.

    I went with what I was impressed with.

    I recommend all his materials which I have studied.

    But, they are NOT Kenpo (Parker or Tracy).

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bruce Lee and Kenpo
    By hemi in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 12:29 PM
  2. Need some opinions of these books
    By hemi in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 11:45 AM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

bruce everett miller books

,

miller reflex pressure points

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.