Thread: Bruce Everett Miller books?

Thanks

Default Bruce Everett Miller books?

http://fightingarts.com/estore/catal...sure_pts.shtml

has anyone read this fellow's books in pressure points and whatnot.. i bought the "reflex points" about a year ago but never really gave it more than a quick glance.. one thing iv come to question.. he keeps mentioning katas like, some arts dont know what the hell they're doing in their katas. what katas are he refering to? what art, etc? i dunno, iv just done Kenpo.. my katas are explained to me what the hell im hitting, why, and all.

but anyways. if anyone's heard of this fellow, read his works.. opinions, how accurate is his material, etc?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default Re: Bruce Everett Miller books?

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    http://fightingarts.com/estore/catal...sure_pts.shtml

has anyone read this fellow's books in pressure points and whatnot.. i bought the "reflex points" about a year ago but never really gave it more than a quick glance.. one thing iv come to question.. he keeps mentioning katas like, some arts dont know what the hell they're doing in their katas. what katas are he refering to? what art, etc? i dunno, iv just done Kenpo.. my katas are explained to me what the hell im hitting, why, and all.

but anyways. if anyone's heard of this fellow, read his works.. opinions, how accurate is his material, etc?
    Yes,
    I do love Mr. Miller's fine tuning of what he teaches. I've all of his materials and I've been applying his nerve cavity and pressure point concepts with thousands of clients over the past several years.
    His products are very affordable and the information is of a very high level.

And Mr. Miller is correct, "most people who do katas do not have a clue to the hidden secrets in those katas".

Again Mr. Miller was NOT refering to Kenpo Karate Kata but to Okinawan Kata and Chinese Kata.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

madeku (07-12-2007),sifuroy (09-08-2007)

Thanks

thanks.. i finally got around to seeing a reply to this.. good to know.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (07-12-2007)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

Oddly enough Mr. Miller is a nurse and has done a lot of research on the subject that is pretty good. However before you get too deep, as a martial artist, he is beyond horrible giving me the impression that his pressure point research may have given him the idea he could just put a black belt on, and no one would notice. In the beginning he made the mistake of putting himself and some students on video. In my opinion, really really bad and obviously unfamiliar with the physical side of any arts.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (09-11-2007)

Thanks

im not sure i totally get what you're saying Doc.. the information is good, but he himself as a martial artist is not? or that both are not?
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

im not sure i totally get what you're saying Doc.. the information is good, but he himself as a martial artist is not? or that both are not?
    Much of the information he presents is from a medical perspective, therefore vaild to a certain extent. However in my opinion he knows nothing about the martial arts from what I've seen of him.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Much of the information he presents is from a medical perspective, therefore vaild to a certain extent. However in my opinion he knows nothing about the martial arts from what I've seen of him.
    Well,

You are correct about his martial arts abilities, even though he was sporting a black belt in something besides Kenpo.

You are also correct about his medical perspective.

When I got his stuff, I then took in to 4 of my clients, 3 medical doctors, and one chiropractor.

Only the chiropractor had a clue.

And I've not read his stuff for 10 years or more. Maybe even 15 years.

DOC

Thanks

Oddly enough Mr. Miller is a nurse and has done a lot of research on the subject that is pretty good. However before you get too deep, as a martial artist, he is beyond horrible giving me the impression that his pressure point research may have given him the idea he could just put a black belt on, and no one would notice. In the beginning he made the mistake of putting himself and some students on video. In my opinion, really really bad and obviously unfamiliar with the physical side of any arts.
    Haha!

I agree close to 100% with this post.

He "looked" so bad I almost did not apply what he taught.

But I did apply it and it did work.

Of course Dillman was real pissed off at him because of the copycat effect.

Doc John

Thanks

gotcha.. however im glad that he does point out the key word in traditional chinese medicine.. is medicine.. and should be viewed as such.. the only book iv read is the reflex pressure points, non responders, muscle manipulation etc.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

he keeps mentioning katas like, some arts dont know what the hell they're doing in their katas. what katas are he refering to? what art, etc? i dunno, iv just done Kenpo.. my katas are explained to me what the hell im hitting, why, and all.
    American Kenpo forms are (generally) composed from the individual techniques.

Other arts start with the forms and extract techniques from them. Over time, poor teaching leads to people forgetting the techniques in whole or in part, and just doing the forms.

Sometimes the actions in forms are abstract representations of the actual techniques. By intent or by atrophy.

For example in one of the forms I know, it is taught as turn, block, step. punch. Which it clearly IS. however it is also grab, twist, lock, throw. SAME MOVEMENTS in the form, applied differently with hands on.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (10-16-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    American Kenpo forms are (generally) composed from the individual techniques.
    I'm glad you said "generally".

Because much of what is out there, even in Kenpo, is very lacking in effectiveness.

I did find that the Miller manuals added much to that knowledge of "making it more workable".

Especially his 9 different catagories of Nerve shots and Pressure points.

Knowing what something is, and is not, really helps when you teach someone something very effective.

Thanks

gotcha.. however im glad that he does point out the key word in traditional chinese medicine.. is medicine.. and should be viewed as such.. the only book iv read is the reflex pressure points, non responders, muscle manipulation etc.
    Well,
    I got everything he put out, when he put them out, and I did study them and apply his concepts on live twitching humans.

I was impressed with much.

I went with what I was impressed with.

I recommend all his materials which I have studied.

But, they are NOT Kenpo (Parker or Tracy).

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links