Thread: Web-pages as 'products' to review...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Web-pages as 'products' to review...

I was wanting to know, what Kenpo web-sites do you guys like the most?
    What do you like about them?
    visually?
    Content? (info, options...etc.)

What makes a good Kenpo web-site in your eyes?
    Thanks
    Your Brother
    John

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Web-pages as 'products' to review...

The things I look for (in order of importance from most to least):

1) Content - "Meat & potatoes" and presented in a positive, professional manner; American Kenpo websites that I bookmark can usually show their lineage back to Mr. Parker & may have some pictures of the folks in the lineage as well. They are user-friendly, and give a mission statement or a good description of the Art as they see it (without condemning anyone else).

2) Visuals - "Bells & whistles" are fun as long as they don't overshadow the content & are helpful to the viewer (make it easy to navigate).

3) Responsive - If I send an e-mail to the webmaster or instructor listed on the website, they get kudos from me if they respond in a timely manner (preferably within a week); I realize that whoever maintains a Kenpo website probably has a "day job" and/or other obligations which require a lot of their time. I take this into account if I e-mail them with questions.

4) Updated Routinely - I also like websites that are updated on a regular basis, but because of the reason mentioned in #3, I'll still appreciate a Kenpo website with good basic "meat & potatoes" content even if isn't updated as much as I would like. For example, my instructor Mr. Billings has a very busy job which requires him to travel quite a bit so he doesn't get to update our school's website as often as he would like--I'd volunteer to help him with that, but I have absolutely no experience with building/maintaining web pages, so I'm useless in that department. So, as a result, updates are at the bottom of my list.

There are so many websites that I like; probably too many to post here, so if anyone wants a list, please e-mail me or send me a PM & I'll be happy to give you those.

Good question, Brother John!
    Sincerely,
    Gin-Gin
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Web-pages as 'products' to review...

I think Mr. Billings has one of the best sites around to be honest as far as content as far as information goes. As far as pure media and video I would go with Josh Ryer's his OTM series is very good. While back I used to travel to Nr. Nackord's site because he was one of the few with videos of material.

So I guess if I look at what attracts me to a site......

information, good solid layout of it and enough to mean something (i.e Mr. Billing's site)

A nice media section cataloged for easy browsing demonstrating material (Like Mr. Nackord's)

A regularly updated section, video a plus! (Like Mr. Ryer's)

Now you guys have to keep the section suggestions to a minimum! John is gonna have me adding too much stuff to our club website now! MUUAHAHAHAHAHA
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Now you guys have to keep the section suggestions to a minimum! John is gonna have me adding too much stuff to our club website now! MUUAHAHAHAHAHA

......Right on target.

Your Taskmaster
    John

Simon Curran Guest

Of the websites I have seen so far, I think Mr Billings probably has the most informative, personally I don't really like the websites that are all about the hard sell, and unfortunately a lot of them out there are more concerned with that than spreading knowledge (like my avatar says, I'm only here to learn)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I like Mr. Nackord's and KenpoNet's Flame Section the best. Mine is somewhat limited now due to time restrictions with my new (semi-new) job, which eats into my Kenpo & Web Design time. If one had to go, it was the web stuff.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

dsp
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

This topic sounds familiar, maybe there was something like it on MartialTalk? Anyway...While I am not EPAK, I like Billy Lear's website. It's clean, easy to get around and has plenty of good information without being overly complicated.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links