Thread: Need some opinions of these books

Thanks

Default Need some opinions of these books

Well since itís that time of year again, Iíll be turning 28 again soon. All my kin folk keep asking me what I want. Well since a blank check is out of the question or one with a lot of 0000ís. I wanted to ask if anyone had read these books Iím sure most of you have read the first one in the list. But I wanted some opinions on the other books in the list.

Ed Parker's Infinite Insights into Kenpo: Physical Analyzation II

Kenpo Karate 101 : What the Beginner and the Black Belt Should Know by Lee Wedlake

Kenpo Karate 201: The Basics and Exercise Forms by Lee Wedlake

The Art of War by Sun-Tzu
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Need some opinions of these books

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Well since itís that time of year again, Iíll be turning 28 again soon. All my kin folk keep asking me what I want. Well since a blank check is out of the question or one with a lot of 0000ís. I wanted to ask if anyone had read these books Iím sure most of you have read the first one in the list. But I wanted some opinions on the other books in the list.

Kenpo Karate 101 : What the Beginner and the Black Belt Should Know by Lee Wedlake

As a Kenpoist, you owe it to yourself to own all the Infinite Insights books.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    As a Kenpoist, you owe it to yourself to own all the Infinite Insights books.

I agree 100% but I have been holding off buying and reading all (are there 5) I think volumes. I read the first two in my opinion too soon after I started in Kenpo. I donít think I picked up a lot of the info as it was kind of info overload. I went back and started re reading vol.2 after having been training for almost a year and this time I picked up a lot more. I am worried if I read the more advanced books in the series before I am training wise ready I will miss a lot.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Art of War is a must read. Also, Book of five Rings (Go Rin no Sho) by Musashi

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I own both of wedleake's book. I liked the articles a lot more in Kenpo 101, they seemed to focus more on key themes and body dynamics as well as tradition. Unfortunatly if you are a member of this board or read a lot more about our art you already know the information within these pages. I will have to look a bit closer at his second book once I am home to refresh what he has. I think any kenpo book is a good kenpo book to show pro's and con's of certain methods of kenpo. But it doesn't get any better than books written by Ed. Parker, especially the infinite series. I also enjoy Secrets of Chinese karate
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I would get the Infinite Insights books while you can, they are harder and harder to get all the time.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Ditto Rob! If you can get your hands on the "Insights" series you better do it while you can. IMHO they are a "must have" for any Kenpoist.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi

I think Kenpo Karate 101 and the first II book would be great if you are a begginer. This will be blasphemy to some folks, but the Kenpo Karate 101: What the beginner and the Black Belt should know would be more of a benefit to the newbie. I wish I would have had it starting out. Then maybe move into the II series because they could be an investment.

I have an extra II book 1, and a secrets of chinese karate if anyone is interested contact me.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Ditto Rob! If you can get your hands on the "Insights" series you better do it while you can. IMHO they are a "must have" for any Kenpoist.

I just e mailed my instructor; He has all 5 of the Insights series in stock at the school for $19.95 Ea, I bought the first two and I will go ahead and pick up the last three. He also recommends a few other books. One being, The Zen of Kenpo. I found a few from $80 to $150 Ea. Scattered around the net. Looks like this book is a little hard to get ahold of

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

I think Wedlake's Kenpo 201 book provides some very good insight into Forms 1 & 2. Read it carefully. Work through it with your instructor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

2004hemi try this link for the Zen of Kenpo http://www.martialartsmart.net/Books_by_Ed_Parker.html
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Wow thanks for the link, that’s a lot cheaper than I was able to find. I was talking to my instructor after class tonight and he showed me his autographed copy. I don’t think he would be willing to part with that one

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Afterthought....If you can find it, the "Encyclopedia of Kenpo" is a good buy as well. It lists and defines all the principles. An extremely good resource!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. There was, for a brief period due to legal issues, a time where there was a shortage of the Ed Parker books. But now, any shortage or prices above about $20.00 US per book is a false shortage or price gouging.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

It is tru that the infinite insight books are getting harder to find and are in many people's opinions a must have for any kenpoist...Kenpo 101 is a great book for the beginner kenpoist but also a good refresher book for small things that may have been forgotten over the years...201 provides a good breakdown of the basic and exercise forms...i have all 3 and loved them all...
    Brother in Kenpo,

Richard

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links