Thread: Product Review - New Gladiators

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Product Review - New Gladiators

This 93 Minute tape is amazing. Filmed in 1973 & 74 this was the pet project of Elvis Presley and Ed Parker, and after Presley passed away this footage was placed in a box and set in the front seat of a truck in someones garage. There it sat for over 20 years. You are a fan of American Kenpo's History and good sparring then this is a must have tape for your collection.

It has 2 major special tournaments in which you see the USA team coached by Ed Parkerm fight one day at Wembley Stadium in London England and the fight again the next day in Brussels. Great fight footage, back when sparring was sparring and not a game of touchy feely tag.

Next the tape goes into some great footage from the International Karate Championships in Long Beach California, you will see a couple of today's Kenpo notables in those segments.

Lastly the tape goes into the batlles between the regulars on the california tournament circuit. Roy Kurban, Benny "The Jet" Urquidez", and Steve Sanders before his name change.

Narrated by Kenpo Legend CHuck Sullivan, and music by David Crosby and Graham Nash, this tape is a must for everyone's collection.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Product Review - New Gladiators

Have it. Love it.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hey Rob, How do you get it to work .I've had two copies and both were defective.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I got mine on VHS, so there were no problems what so ever. You should contact Rising Sun Productions at http://www.risingsunproductions.net let them know what the problem is and they should be able to help you.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

..don't know why it's taken me so long but....I just ordered it on DVD from Rising Sun. I can watch it when I get back from the Vic Leroux seminar.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I have seen that a bunch of times. It is an excellent movie. I love to see Mr. Kelly sweeping everybody. Now he can't do as much because he has put on alot of weight since than. It is always great to see how kenpo has evolutionized from back than.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Where do you think the second defective one came from. they promised me they would play the replacement to make sure it worked. Well I guess you can imagine what I think of their promises.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG
    Where do you think the second defective one came from. they promised me they would play the replacement to make sure it worked. Well I guess you can imagine what I think of their promises.
    I had the same problem. Then i gat a new DVD player and the problem resolved. Try it in some othe brand DVD players.

Jeff

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodoc
    I had the same problem. Then i gat a new DVD player and the problem resolved. Try it in some othe brand DVD players.
    You have this video? Next time your in class tell Steve to forget going out to dinner (since we've done it once) and get a friday film night. Maybe a saturday instead. Get Steve to get into his moldy archieves and get the tapes out. We can designate a certain number of people to go up the street and pick up the $5 pizza's and others to go pick up some 2-liter's or whatever their choice of beveridge is.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    You have this video? Next time your in class tell Steve to forget going out to dinner (since we've done it once) and get a friday film night. Maybe a saturday instead. Get Steve to get into his moldy archieves and get the tapes out. We can designate a certain number of people to go up the street and pick up the $5 pizza's and others to go pick up some 2-liter's or whatever their choice of beveridge is.

yep, got the video and some other interesting ones. We'll work something out.

Jeff

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I'm sure the students of the studio would have a lot of fun. I would venture to say Lex would love to see video's like that. I know I was quite moved when watching the videos of Mr.Wedlake competing in the forms division.

Thanks

I got my DVD, stuck it in the DVD player and it wouldn't play. So... I went to Target, bought another DVD player, stuck it the new one, and was very entertained for the next couple of hours. That's some great footage. Those were the days....sigh.....LOL. Those guys really threw down! Even the kids didnt' wear a lot of gear back then!! Man, how we've become a nation of wusses.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Cool Movie

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

While the footage was interesting and it was fun to watch some of those guys fight again. I kept looking through the background of the International footage to see if I was running around anywhere? However, I was somewhat dissapointed about what it didn't show. Like more of SGM Parker. I understand there was also supposedly a fair amount of Elvis footage, which would have been kinda cool to see. Don't get me wrong, I dig the video and won't be parting with it, but I suspect there is better footage lying about some of our own basements mouldering away.

Come on guys....cough it up !
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

Probably! They found the footage for "New Gladiaors" on the seat of an old pick-up truck sitting in a barn!!!! (At least that's what I heard.)

Some of the footage may have been too damaged to view. That could be the reason for omitting it.

I wanted to see more footage of Benny "the jet." He's got the most awesome hook kick (I patterned my own after his ) and won many fights with it.

If you're in to viewing vintage footage of SGM Parker and/or Kenpo in general, the IKCA has an "Ed Parker Memorial" site with lots of it that is updated with more from time to time. *see below link

http://www.kenpohomestudycourse.com/kenpo/videos.htm

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

CC...been there, done that. Awesome footage. (I think I, too left a plug on another link for that site!)

...and ya don't think it' slike a George Lucas thing ? Like they'll release the "Letter Boxed Special Edition of the New Gladiators" next year ? Then the year after that the, "Ultimate Gold Edition, with 3 minutes of added footage !"...then the following year, the "Ultimate Platinum Edition, with commentary by Abby Hoffman"...only to be followed by the "THX Edition with enhanced digital Kenpovision".....which will only proceed..."The New Gladiators Mega Awesome Ultra Cool 3 disc set, in 3D Smell-o-vision" ?

I suspect it more likely a legal issue in the case of the Presley footage with the estate. Just really had high hopes for some more quality vintage materiel of "The Ol' Man". It is still cool, though.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Product Review - New Gladiators

I have it on DVD, and enjoy watching it. Problems are popping, and glitches during viewing! I was'nt aware that it was available on VHS! I may have to contact them. Speaking of Kenpo VHS stuff. Would anyone be interested in a VHS review tape? It features Mr.Jay T will, and covers most of the teks from blue to blk. It is'nt long on production values, but I think any student of the Tracy/Will lineage would appreciate it. It also has a lengthly piece of bonus footage of a CMA system. I misunderstood the ad, and purchased it on e-Bay. If anyone is SERIOUSLY interested please PM me.
    1stJohn1:9

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links