Thread: Mike Lambert's Knife Fighting With Kenpo Principles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Mike Lambert's Knife Fighting With Kenpo Principles

I just reviewed this tape again last night and gained a whole new appreciation for the material.

First off you will not see Thrusting Lance or Glancing Lance on this tape but you will see a lot of really good knife versus knife fighting. As said in the tape, "This is not self defense"

I really liked how he used good solid kenpo principles to relate the ideas in this material.

I see that this tape will be going into my regular viewing rotation. It is really worth having if you are a knife enthusiast.
    Last edited by Rob Broad; 11-05-2006 at 02:48 AM.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Mike Lambert's Knife Fighting With Kenpo Principles

Maybe we should ask Mike if he'll let us put an excerpt up on the site so we can see how good it is.

I'm still hoping to get one in June at camp.

How long is it?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

This tape isn't for everyone, it is for the combat oriented person. This is not typical self defense. This tape would be ideal for military personel with previous kenpo background.

This tape really puts forth the idea of "It's not whose right but whose left." It may be hard for some people to wrap their brain around hacking muscle, ligaments, tendons and cleving into bone. If you are not a combat oriented person then this tape probably isn't for you. But if combat oriented knife work is your thing then Buy This Tape.

I wasn't paying attention to how long it ran because I was engrossed in the material, but I figure it was over an hour in length, and very captivating.

I fet very sorry for Garth by the end of the tape, even though he was wearing arm protectors you could see how painful a lot of the applications were. Again this tape is not for everyone, but if knife combat is your thing then get this tape.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I fet very sorry for Garth by the end of the tape, even though he was wearing arm protectors you could see how painful a lot of the applications were. Again this tape is not for everyone, but if knife combat is your thing then get this tape.
    Okay, first of all....ewwww.

Secondly, Garth gets beat up in every video. He must have incredible pain tolerance because, and I know this from personal experience, Mike is rather intense in his application of techniques.

--Amy
    Last edited by Rob Broad; 03-14-2006 at 04:50 PM.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Rob

Amy told me you had put up a post about the knife video. You are right
    in your appreciation of the content. In my opinion, if you are in a knife on knife confrontation you had better be prepared for the worst. Most Kenpo people who work with knives have also studied the Phillipino arts and revert to that kind of footwork and hand techniques. If you understand Kenpo then you have the knowledge to work with the knife and the stick. I am going to bring several copies of the DVD to the Vegas camp along with the manipulation one. If I get the chance I may touch on the knife at the camp.

Mike

Thanks

I really liked the tape and its content, but then I worked as a bouncer in bars for several years so I have a different perspective on what works than some people.

Thanks

I'll be looking forward to getting one at camp.

As much as knife stuff scares me, it will probably scare me less if I am more confident of my ability not to get skewered.

So, Mike, can we put up a clip of each or not?

--Amy

Thanks

I finally got around to watching this dvd. All things in their right time, I say.

So, I watched it and I got a lot of great new knife drills to try with a partner.

I think Mike's two main principles that I pick up from him in his regular techniques are evident here as well:

1. The first strike/block should end the fight.
    2. "Get in; get out; quick mucking about."

And when it comes to knives, check check and more check.

I look forward to getting another training knife so Tara and I can start practicing some of the drills that are shown.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

This video is very good, and I was very impressed. Amy its worth its weight in gold. But stick to your convictions. your only going two places when it comes to a knife fight. The morgue or the hospital.pray for the latter.

for another good knife video, check out any of Dan Inosanto's knife and empty hands videos. Good luck with your knife training.

I think the most important lessen to be learned in knife videos is that the more you train with knives the less frightened you are when you see one.
    But then again I would have to say, hand over your purse, run and if you cant get away fight.

James

Thanks

As I have said many times, Mike Lambert is the real deal and is, in my opinion, one of the best all-round martial artists on the globe.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I really liked how he used good solid kenpo principles to relate the ideas in this material.
    Ah! Therein lies the key to effectiveness doesn't it! Sounds like I need to go shoppin'.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Okay. I'm curious. It sounds like this would be an excellent training aid. Anyone have any information on how I can purchase one of the tapes or DVD's?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike2011 View Post
    Okay. I'm curious. It sounds like this would be an excellent training aid. Anyone have any information on how I can purchase one of the tapes or DVD's?

I would contact MLKKA here on KenpoTalk since he is Mile Lambert he will be able to give you the best way to purchase his products

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links