Thread: Vibram Five Finger Gloves?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Vibram Five Finger Gloves?

I am wondering if anyone has used Vibram Five Finger Gloves for their Kenpo training. I have been looking to get a pair for my general strength and conditioning, and was wondering how they hold up to Kenpo workouts, especially when it comes to all the footwork (e.g. pivoting, shuffling, dragging, etc.). Can you spar in them? Would love to hear your impressions.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 2,190 Posts

Default Re: Vibram Five Finger Gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by akute View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has used Vibram Five Finger Gloves for their Kenpo training. I have been looking to get a pair for my general strength and conditioning, and was wondering how they hold up to Kenpo workouts, especially when it comes to all the footwork (e.g. pivoting, shuffling, dragging, etc.). Can you spar in them? Would love to hear your impressions.
    We've got a few people that wear them and like them. We have a canvas mat, so they don't stick like they might on the rubberized mats.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

I use them only for running.

With regards to kenpo:
    Some people practice bare foot because it's on a mat, or due to tradition.
    Some say, keep shoes on, because that's what you're normally wearing, so get used to wok in shoes.

Based on that, I see only three reasons why one should use them in kenpo training:
    a) really cold studio
    b) really dirty studio
    c) really ugly feet

And c) is meant manly as a joke.

殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you for the responses thus far. I am of Asian (Japanese and Hawaiian) decent, so spend most of my life barefoot. At home, it's barefoot, or just socks when it gets colder. Even at the day job, I have a culture that allows slippers and flip flops (one of the executives wears Vibrams, while another - one of the owners of the company - goes completely barefoot around the building). So I am used to being barefoot.

Suffice to say, I don't care to wear shoes unless absolutely necessary (cleats for football, soccer; basketball shoes for, well, basketball of course). When I do my strength and conditioning workouts, even with barbells and dumbbells, I do so barefooted. And Kenpo workouts are then certainly barefooted. When I'm really pushing my workouts, or when testing or competing, I then tend to tear some of the skin off of my foot if I don't tape them up. Being able to leave the house in the Vibrams and just stay in them for workouts, particularly during the winter months, would be ideal. But since they are expensive, I'm just wondering if they'd hold up to all the wear and tear I'd be putting them through. Then again, maybe better the footwear than my feet.

Any other thoughts on these?
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

Thanks

One common comment has been, "don't expect them to keep your feet warm if it's cold outside", a opposed o wearing them inside. Based on your last post, you may feel differently.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

I have Vibram Tracks, and never got cold feet outside, even while running through snow. Was wearing 5-finger socks as well, though.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

Thanks

One of my students wears those for our workouts, he pretty much swears by them and now also wears a different version for his everday wear. He has worn them for at least a year and I don't think they are close to wearing out. As for sparring, I don't see any reason why not, I spar with wrestling shoes on, so it really shouldn't be that big a deal.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

akute (12-09-2011),jdinca (12-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I have Vibram Tracks, and never got cold feet outside, even while running through snow. Was wearing 5-finger socks as well, though.
    Yes, but you Viking types don't mind ridiculous extremes of cold. Here in the balmy SF Bay Area, if it gets into the 40s, we start whining about the arctic chill.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I use them only for running.

With regards to kenpo:
    Some people practice bare foot because it's on a mat, or due to tradition.
    Some say, keep shoes on, because that's what you're normally wearing, so get used to wok in shoes.

Based on that, I see only three reasons why one should use them in kenpo training:
    a) really cold studio
    b) really dirty studio
    c) really ugly feet

And c) is meant manly as a joke.

Even as a joke there is A LOT of truth to that. I mean come on people, it's not that hard to cut your toenails once in a while and keep your feet clean. I don't want to smell your felony feet when you take your shoes off for class or look at your nasty yellow cracked toe nails that look like the feet from the movie "Dumb and Dumber". Ok, rant off, back to your regularly scheduled program
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I've recently started wearing the Fila Skele-toes, mainly to help support an injured big toe. They're a little thicker than the Vibram but close enough. I've found that the extra grip does require some adjustment when pivoting. Also, balance is slightly different since you have an extra piece of rubber under the ball of an otherwise bare foot.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Update on the Fila Skele-toes. Spend the extra $ on the Vibrim KSO's. The Fila is not of the same quality and falls apart quickly, also because the KSO is so much more flexible it allows for better alignment from the foot to the hip almost eliminating any pronation or supination.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenporider For This Useful Post:

akute (04-07-2012),jdinca (04-04-2012)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Much agreed. I actually picked up a pair of Vibrams a few months back and really like them. It's not quite as much barefoot feel as I would have hoped, but good enough. The only adjustment I've had to make is when doing roundhouse/wheel kicks and making contact with the instep. Otherwise, footwork and all other kicks feel just fine when doing forms, techniques, and hitting the bags. Have yet to put on sparring gear with them though. That will be next...

Subsequently, one of my students recently bought a pair of the Filas. I never really looked at them closely, but from a distance, they do look quite loose and bulky. The Vibrams are tight and snug, which can be a pain getting them on initially, but they do get easier to get in and out of while never losing that tactile feel and response.

In a nutshell, I'm very happy with the Vibrams thus far.
    --

Erik Akutagawa
    VICTORY KARATE | VKfit
    www.victorykarate.com
    www.vkfit.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links