Visit Our Sponsors

Annual Bob and Barbara White Invitational on Saturday March 23, 2014Hubbard Photography presents Martial Arts Photography Worry Free Managed Wordpress Hosting by SilverStar WebDesigns Inc. Click for more details!

Thread: Grafting Kenpo, Jiu Jitsu, and Judo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 966 Posts

Default Grafting Kenpo, Jiu Jitsu, and Judo

http://www.amazon.com/Grafting-Kenpo...2227900&sr=8-1 Has anyone seen this yet? I just ran across it this evening while surfing on Amazon.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, don’t do it at all. (Dan Gable’s coaching philosophy)

Thanks

Default Re: Grafting Kenpo, Jiu Jitsu, and Judo

$20.00 for 61 pages...ouch

Interesting concept though
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell

Thanks

looks like my kinda book. at one point tonight in class we were working B1a freestyle and following up with whatever we wanted.. so i basically grafted a kote geishi after the punch, brought the guy down, and went into a standing figure four bicep cutter with my knees on his rib and head.
    Brian Sheets
    AKKI Kenpo
    Aikikai (AHI) Aikido

"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt
    "in regards to martial arts, mixed or otherwise.. everyone knows something... or at least thinks they do"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    looks like my kinda book. at one point tonight in class we were working B1a freestyle and following up with whatever we wanted.. so i basically grafted a kote geishi after the punch, brought the guy down, and went into a standing figure four bicep cutter with my knees on his rib and head.

Me like this!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 530 Posts

If you know some judo or jujutsu (BTW: if you write judo you should write jujutsu, or, if you prefer jiujitsu you should it call jiudo ) it will be pretty hard not to use it, if your uke gives you a lock or if the opportunity to throw is there.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

MarkC (04-08-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

What is interesting is that when you look at systems that were bred for warfare, all these skills were present. It wasn't until folks started fighting less and training just for the sake of training that a lot of systems became specialized. If you look at systems of jujutsu (Japanese) they all included, weapons, grappling, striking, and tactics. It is nice to see folks working to reintegrate these skills.

Of course this is nothing new as systems such as Kajukenbo understood this.

Regards,
    Walt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kroh For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (04-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,385 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kroh View Post
    What is interesting is that when you look at systems that were bred for warfare, all these skills were present. It wasn't until folks started fighting less and training just for the sake of training that a lot of systems became specialized. If you look at systems of jujutsu (Japanese) they all included, weapons, grappling, striking, and tactics. It is nice to see folks working to reintegrate these skills.

Regards,
    Walt
    My old kempo system is the same way.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I mix the three together all the time. Thanks for the link to the book!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 530 Posts

if somebody here actually buys it, I'd love to read a review.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kroh View Post

Regards,
    Walt
    I've been doing this for decades,with wrestling boxing tkd muay thai gungfu,hapkido,capoeira aikido,gun knife and stickfighting,52 Blocks,iaido,and a few other things for good measure.The more I integrated,the more obvious that it became to me that each system incorporated aspects of the other,the emphasis that each system is known for is really a reflection of its philosophy,history and thus (most importantly in a directly practical sense) the training emphasis have become specialized and specific to a particular favored approach (judo favors throws above all else,wrestling has no deliberate impact strikes,aikido has no newaza,iaido guys don't strike empty handed or grapple,capoeiristas for the most part don't spar they spend an inordinate amount of time in conditioning and in the roda) even though every single one of them from tai chi to capoeira to whatever new fighting system has roots that practically and effectively engage all of the concerns of self-defense. I've also experienced a synergistic effect on my fighting arsenal,skill,and martial understanding as I cross-trained.My boxing got better as my wrestling got better as my aikido got better as my kenpo got better as my judo got better as my capoeira got better as my MT got better as my weapon work of all forms got better,etc.

I completely agree with the quoted remark and all the similar ones on-thread,and I have long considered putting out trailers for my DVD Series integrating this approach this year.

Sponsors