Thread: Does anybody have "ABCs of Kenpo Karate Set" / "10 Masterkeys of Set by Frank Trejo"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

Default Does anybody have "ABCs of Kenpo Karate Set" / "10 Masterkeys of Set by Frank Trejo"

Hi!

I am considering buying these DVDs:
    http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=333&page=1

I'd love to get some more information on these DVDs, esp. the ABC of Kenpo triple DVD set.

Thanks!

-Lenny
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,254 Posts

Default Re: Does anybody have "ABCs of Kenpo Karate Set" / "10 Masterkeys of Set by Frank Tre

I have viewed these DVDs.

The ABC's is a good set for a beginning student to work on. It is very basic and seems designed to give people an intro to kenpo or again beginning students.

I wasn't really impressed with the Masterkeys of Kenpo dvd, just kind of goes through 10 techniques (not from the "masterkey list") that they talk about as being the most devastating. The dvd does not go into detail why these techniques are integral to the system as a whole or their interrelation with anything else. The dvd had the feel of a TRS Direct "hype" dvd. Throw together some cool looking techniques to practice and make yourself feel better.

Note this is NOT a comment about Frank Trejo or his ability. Master Trejo comes across as very humble and humourous on the video and someone that would be good to get more in depth training with. I just didn't like the content/depth of the dvds.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Thanks

Default Re: Does anybody have "ABCs of Kenpo Karate Set" / "10 Masterkeys of Set by Frank Tre

Thanks. Guess I can skip these DVDs then.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,254 Posts

IMO, I would spend the money that you would have paid for these retail and buy the Larry Tatum dvds from Panther video. I think that they went up some in price, but when I got mine they were like $6.99 a dvd and I was given the whole 20-something set for Christmas. It goes over all of the basics, stances etc. and then all of the forms. It does not cover the S-D techs which is a seperate (and much more expensive set via www.ltatum.com)
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Hi!

I am considering buying these DVDs:

I'd love to get some more information on these DVDs, esp. the ABC of Kenpo triple DVD set.

Thanks!

-Lenny
    I have both the ABC's and the Master key moves DVD.

While they are mostly geared towards a beginner, there is value to having them. I was able to pick up a neat little teahing trick that I use with all my students now and the Master Key DVD helped me understand Master Key moves in general. I also used it as a basis for a kind of Kenpo short course I came up with for guy who was headed to the military in 3 months so we didn't have the time for curriculum based lessons.

In my opinion as long as you learn at least one thing from them they are worth it. To me they were worth it.
    Dave Strobel
    Minnesota Kenpo Karate Studio
    www.mnkenpo.com
    Parker / Furuya
    Lineage

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I think the the Larry Tatum series of Dvd's is really good if your looking to learning all the techniques from Ed Parkers Kenpo
    I have both sets of his dvd's

I have the 21 dvd set which is all the Techniques
    I also have the 23 dvd set that has stances, forms, sets,SELF-DEFENCE THEORY,CONCEPTS,
    PRINCIPLES, AND TECHNIQUES Sparring and more

They are both pretty good Larry Tatum is a very good teacher and very humble man

Thanks

I normally use http://www.kenpotv.net/ for techniques.

I do have most of Mr. Tatum's seminar DVDs and his Power Curves DVD.

One of the good things with being a beginner in Kenpo is that pretty much everything I can get my fingers on will teach me something.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links