Thread: Question....AND Answer, a suggestion.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Question....AND Answer, a suggestion.

I see a lot of moderators and members create topics or threads in sections they wish to generate traffic. I see nothing wrong with this and think it is good in the long run.

However, I see one problem with the process..I think that too many people or moderators post threads asking questions without offering a solution or their take on things. I do not know what the reasoning or method is to this, but I think that if you are willing to start a thread presenting a questions or idea that you should also be willing to offer up your solution or take on that same said idea.

I personally would be more willing to respond to a topic if the question wasn't asked as if you are the host on a talk show, but a willing participant in a two or more way conversation offering up your experience and feelings on the issue.

Just my two cents if you think I am wrong, cool, disregard.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Default Re: Question....AND Answer, a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    I see a lot of moderators and members create topics or threads in sections they wish to generate traffic. I see nothing wrong with this and think it is good in the long run.

However, I see one problem with the process..I think that too many people or moderators post threads asking questions without offering a solution or their take on things. I do not know what the reasoning or method is to this, but I think that if you are willing to start a thread presenting a questions or idea that you should also be willing to offer up your solution or take on that same said idea.

I personally would be more willing to respond to a topic if the question wasn't asked as if you are the host on a talk show, but a willing participant in a two or more way conversation offering up your experience and feelings on the issue.

I agree with you
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter

You're on to something there. I don't think the objective on Kenpo Talk is merely generating traffic, but generating traffic with quality dialogue. I also think that we have too many chiefs and not enough indians actively posting right now. Perhaps this will change pretty soon. Only time will tell.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,155 Posts

We need more indians. If ya need me, I'll be in the back yard sending out some smoke signals.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,308 Posts

On the other hand its nice to hear some ideas before you offer yours up to the wolves. I limit my input for various reasons but am more forthcomming when the conversation seems to be going well.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    We need more indians. If ya need me, I'll be in the back yard sending out some smoke signals.
    Bob! Put your pants back up! And quit eating the beans!!!
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger
    On the other hand its nice to hear some ideas before you offer yours up to the wolves. I limit my input for various reasons but am more forthcomming when the conversation seems to be going well.
    Sean
    That's pretty much the way that I've been doing things too. I'm not looking for internet wars anymore. Lately, I've been more focused on exploring similarities than differences when it comes to people. Things have definately been better as a result.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    Bob! Put your pants back up! And quit eating the beans!!!
    Oh my! Someone call Green Peace! If someone doesn't stop him global warming will be the least of our worries!

Thanks

I think both approaches have their benefits. Few people want to be first, out of fear of looking bad, etc. Thats why I tend to toss my own bits out here n there. Breaks the ice.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear
    That's pretty much the way that I've been doing things too. I'm not looking for internet wars anymore. Lately, I've been more focused on exploring similarities than differences when it comes to people. Things have definately been better as a result.

that is a great attitude to have, billy.
    as for the topics......i like to write about something that i think will interest people......if they post on the subject, great....if they dont, i can look at it one of 2 ways....my ideas were so well laid out they didnt require further comment, or i was so out to lunch people didnt bother responding.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I think it's an 'Each to his own' type of thing. Some are generating topics, not so much as to their own interest but what they think the general populous may be interested in. I do this. I may be guilty of not answering my own topic posts.. only because I am not interested in my own answer. Honestly, I may not even go back and read the thread. I post to get the ball rolling..

Some Mods are talkative.. some aren't.. I tend not to be. I'm shy

~Tess

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I think both ways have some merits!
    For instance, by leaving it open for a while and commenting later you leave it open for others to put their ideas in...instead of making people feel like.."Oh well, so many people have already said something, why put my .02 in"

Just a different vantage...

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I run a large, pretty successful site for home recording musicians that has a pretty big user base and message forum...I tend to start threads for the same reason, just to get people talking, and interject my two cents later...but if I, as the moderator, disagree with somebody or have to tell somebody to relax (ya know, when things get heated) I find that people often hold a moderator/admin to a different standard of behavior than your typical site member, which I find unfair, but sort of understandable. Because of that, at times I have had to bite my tongue...but I gave up on biting my tongue a while ago...it took all the fun out of running the site.

Mods have to be careful, if you are a site police officer, you are looked at differently when expressing opinions or dishing out discipline.

In my humble opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear
    I've been more focused on exploring similarities than differences when it comes to people. Things have definately been better as a result.
    That's pretty much how I look at it. I didn't really get into online forums until last year because I was turned off by all the flame wars of the past (on MT); IMO there is more than enough conflict & back-biting in the Ken(m)po world without seeing more of it on the Internet. Therefore I try to start threads on non-controversial topics to explore the things we have in common more than our differences. I don't think differences are bad, it's just that so many people have put the emphasis on them (the "my system/association is better than yours" BS) that my personal preference is to focus on things that can bring us together as a community. Trust me, I could have posted twice the number of threads that I have, but they would all start "Kem/npo World War III" & I don't want that. So, I've started threads that are mostly non-controversial by choice. Unfortunately, they seem to be too boring for some people, because two threads I started have been completely ignored by members. However, that's not going to keep me from starting threads to spark positive discussion...

Someone mentioned waiting to see what other people's opinions are before adding their own. I do this mainly because I know what my own opinion is & want to hear what others have to say. As Brother John said, it's better to do that than make people feel like "everyone has already said something, why put my two-cents in"?

Another thing to keep in mind is that since my instructor (& other high-ranking folks I know) check this site regularly & know my username, I don't have the luxury of anonymity that most members posess.
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwist
    I find that people often hold a moderator/admin to a different standard of behavior than your typical site member, which I find unfair, but sort of understandable. Because of that, at times I have had to bite my tongue...Mods have to be careful, if you are a site police officer, you are looked at differently when expressing opinions or dishing out discipline.
    I agree with WT. Whether we like it or not, IMHO Mods are looked at differently & more is expected of us. Nature of the beast, I guess.

Bob is right on the money - we need more 'Indians'!! If you want KT to grow, please try to get your students & anyone else you know to log on & check us out! And thanks to Bob for being a good "icebreaker" & seeding threads on a forum about an Art which isn't even his primary MA!

Hunter, I understand your point but I hope you can understand where I & others folks are coming from as well.

Take Care,
    Gin-Gin
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks

Reminder to school and organization owners: We offer you free forum space fro your groups.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links