Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for our Members....

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,156 Posts

Default Question for our Members....

I've noticed trafic has been running low for a while. We've scratched out heads a bit to try and figure out why, and had a few thoughts, but I wanted to ask our members to get their feedback.

Is it just a slow season, not much to say, is it something with us, too busy with life, etc.

Please, share your thoughts.

For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Question for our Members....

bob, to be honest, the site is redundant. MT and KenpoNet seem to fufill the needs of the kenpo community. i don't see a reason for posting here, as opposed to either of those two. pete.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    bob, to be honest, the site is redundant. MT and KenpoNet seem to fufill the needs of the kenpo community. i don't see a reason for posting here, as opposed to either of those two. pete.
    Exactly.
    Alan Wortman aka Old Fat Kenpoka

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Without Rob Rousselot here to identify threats to our martial dignity, we have nothing to talk about.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Kenpo Talk, sounds like a great idea!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Question for our Members....

I, unfortunatly, agree with Pete. I visit here, but spend most my time on another forum, and do not want to split my attention. After all, I have so little to give ... walking and chewing gum challenges my ADHD ability to focus.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

Thanks

What if we dangle our keys and other shiny objects - then will you stay?
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

So if this site is redundant of MT how can we change that. What kind of content would you like to see here that isn't on MT?
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

What kind of content would you like to see here that isn't on MT?
    A directory of local buffets? I mean we do have to keep our Kenpo Physiques up, right?

*ducks and runs for cover*
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks

Well, I'd hate to take the site down, but theres no sense in keeping it running if no-ones going to use it.

We've setup lineage specific sections here and most of them aren't being used. We're most likely going to roll most if not all of those back into a much smaller number of "generals".

I'll be updating the video and other non-forum content over the weekend.

Our intention was to give something different than either MT or KN. Some people were bothered by the implied politics, moderation, format, layout or software of those sites. We thought we could provide a place that was more relaxed.

Were we wrong? We started out the first few months doing over 200 posts a week. Now we're under 50 posts a week. I know theres events going on, but they aren't ever posted here. I know theres product being released, but again, never see it mentioned here. I know theres more than 100 people doing all these different flavors, but again, can't find the diversity here. It's rather discouraging.

If theres something I can do to make the experience of being an active member here better, I'd like to know. If there is nothing I can do, then I'd like to know that too.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 654 Posts

I certainly spend more time on MartialTalk ... and I do post an awful lot of political stuff in the Study over there. I don't post any politics on this site ... just the kenpo.

Also, I think that perhaps, the forums are broken down too far. Can Mr. Planas' American Kenpo be so different from Mr. Tatum's American Kenpo as to require different Fora? I think the multiple lineages under the Parker Kenpo fosters segregation.

Further, I am a bit hesitent to start a thread on this board, because early on, I started the 'Basics' threads under a general forum, and it was suggested that it should be under the appropriate lineage. Again, can Mr. Conaster's Right Neutral Bow and Arrow stance be that different from Mr. Millis' Right Neutral Bow and Arrow Stance? So, knowing where is the correct place to post something is a challenge. As I study a lineage under Mr. Planas', I don't even look under Mr. Millis' lineage ... because who am I to comment on his stuff, when I don't know much about it.

hmmm.....

I think the big challenge is being able to filter the good stuff up from the blather and find a way to reach consensus on the information.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The politics was refering to interbranch Kenpo politics.

As for starting threads in a general section or in under a specific lineage, well consider what you would like out of the discussion. Do you want to discuss how a certain person/group utilizes a specific aspect, do you want to compare the differences, or just ignore the slight differeneces and explore it in a purely self defense context? If you want to explore how a specific group uses something then ask under that lineage, but if you want a broad range of answers then post it under general.

I personally don't want to see this site go under. There is a lot of potential here that is going to waste.

-Josh
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Smile Re: Question for our Members....

Hi Bob,

Since I was axed on the other site I have to be here. I try to add some stuff, but not to many interested. I think some of the reasons people do not use it as much is because of overmoderation and the total one sidedness of EPAK.

I believe as I have always said (and pay dearly for it), mods saying, tsk tsk is not a good thing. Since being booted I have looked at lots of different forums and most of them are not quite so quick with tsk tsk.

Just my opinion of course.

Regards, Gary

Thanks

Overmoderation? Here? Where?

dsp
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I don't know about the over-moderation and I wouldn't use the term "one-sidedness". But I think the fact that EPAK is by far the majority is one reason why there is little traffic here. EPAK people are the majority at Martialtalk in the Kenpo areas and KenpoNet is basically 100% EPAK. There isn't anything wrong with that, but seeing as most people go to kenponet and MT already, a third forum is going to struggle. I was hoping that KenpoTalk would attract more people from Kenpo/Kempo systems other than EPAK to allow for a wider range of discussion.
    This is NOT a slam on the EPAK people, just an observation that they are already established at two other forums and have no real need to go elsewhere.
    I think the trick would be to get other systems over here. How? Good question....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    Overmoderation? Here? Where?
    Well awhile back lively discussion about Paul Mills and Larry Tatums group differences of opinion, etc. One of the persons was scolded and he left the forum.
    Another time others critisized a moderator for being someone else and stating some pretty mean spirited stuff toward Paul Mills. You backed your Mod.

Several people pulled the pin when Karazenpo got slammed for stating his opinion, he is gone and those who liked him also. I could go on and on,
    but to no avail I believe.

Numerous gang up groupies, next thing you know the ball is missing and someone else took the bat.

Just a few thoughts.

Last but not least, it has not been up and running that long and not much activity so it is going slow.

Maybe if you sent your mods out ninja style and talked it up on other forums you would get more activity and some feed back you might like or not.

Just like Matt Dillon of Gunsmoke when asked 'how do you want to handle it?' he would say, 'straight up'. Some don't like that, some do.
    G
    More...

I believe when talking on forums and the mods are conversing and they feel
    they have the final say so, you are running a real risk of alienation.

Fine line I know but....Irritated customers are the ones who have some deep wounds.

Ninja the net and see what comes up? Can't let it go to long, heck you might need the write off.

Hey I am still here, maybe that is the problem, LOL.

Regards, Gary

Thanks

My problem with some of the mods is that they don't really seem to be participating. Esp the so-called "higher" ranking mods and the admins. I think if they hold such a title that they should be actively participating in the forums. They need to kick it up when things are slow.

The only reason that I can see why one only one of the so-called "problem" threads had any mods come in was because someone pointed it out to them. The fact that they didn't bother with another precieved "problem" thread shows that no one was actually reading ANY of the threads.

Since then, two of the more active posters have been given mod status. I hope it helps, but it shouldn't fall onto only their shoulders to be the responsible faces of the board.

I find it funny that Bob is the most active of these admin/higher mods. He doesn't even practice the art. Kudos to him for starting some threads to spark conversation.
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks

It's just an illusion. Seig's got a few more public posts than me, and both he and Tess are more active in the staff areas. I've just been more visible in public lately.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer
    Well awhile back lively discussion about Paul Mills and Larry Tatums group differences of opinion, etc. One of the persons was scolded and he left the forum.
    Another time others critisized a moderator for being someone else and stating some pretty mean spirited stuff toward Paul Mills. You backed your Mod.

Several people pulled the pin when Karazenpo got slammed for stating his opinion, he is gone and those who liked him also. I could go on and on,
    but to no avail I believe.

Numerous gang up groupies, next thing you know the ball is missing and someone else took the bat.

Just a few thoughts.

Last but not least, it has not been up and running that long and not much activity so it is going slow.

Maybe if you sent your mods out ninja style and talked it up on other forums you would get more activity and some feed back you might like or not.

Just like Matt Dillon of Gunsmoke when asked 'how do you want to handle it?' he would say, 'straight up'. Some don't like that, some do.
    G
    More...

I believe when talking on forums and the mods are conversing and they feel
    they have the final say so, you are running a real risk of alienation.

Fine line I know but....Irritated customers are the ones who have some deep wounds.

Ninja the net and see what comes up? Can't let it go to long, heck you might need the write off.

Hey I am still here, maybe that is the problem, LOL.

Regards, Gary
    Gary, can you post links to what you are referring to? I'm sorry, but I'm having a bit of trouble following you on a few points here.

Kenpotalk's moderation is less um, "in your face" than MartialTalks is. The rule here is to do less "policing" unless asked. Unless we get a report (and we've gotten very few of those) most of the issues I never hear about.

As to going to other forums, where? One board is famous for pretty much deleting whole discussions if they don't like them. I find several references to KT there, but interestingly enough all those threads are missing. Other boards I simply don't find a reference to KT on, and it's not my policy to go there and try to drum up business.

I've always prided myself on my approachability. My email addresses are all over the place, my phone number is public, and I've stated repeatedly if theres an issue for folks to contact me. IF! KT is somehow being over moded, it's news to me as I have heard nothing that I can recall, seen no evidence of heavy moding in the mod-logs, etc.

The goal here was not to be a clone of MT, or KN or any other board, but to build a unique enviroment for those who study kenpo/kempo. We have a few EPAK lineages, but little Tracy or other here. Thats a shame, as all of those "cousins" are part of the family too, and it would be nice if they could share here as well.

The bottom line is, it takes time, energy, resources and money to run and actively maintain this site. I've got no problems with doing that, provided it's being used in a positive manner. If it's just sitting here getting dusty, I have to wonder why I spend the money, why it's worth wasting the time, as well as tying up server resources.

If everyone who visits each day would make 1 post (on the average), we'd easily have 50+ new messages every day. Thats the goal. 50+ new messages each day.

All I can honestly offer is tech tips, "hellos" and jokes. I don't know much about kenpo, its people, history, techniques or concepts. I can ask a few questions, but, when no one answers....
    And, I won't ask on MT and I won't ask on KN. My goal is to build KT up and neither of those options will help us here.

Thanks

i have to agree with gary and dsp, bob.
    this particular forum is pretty EPAK friendly and it alienates a lot of other groups. you have hanshi juchnik and master ray arquilla listed under "other"
    they are 2 major contributors to the kempo world in the USA and are trying to bring the "Roots" of the art of kosho-ryu to the forefront.
    sure a lot of people think that kosho is a BS martial art, but the fact of the matter is, people out there study it, and like it or not, no james mitose, no kempo.
    i think something needs to be done about the presentation of KenpoTalk.
    there are no moderators from the Kosho-ryu systems taught, here or at MT.
    Kosho as it is taught now is a very encompassing art that has many areas of study that are overlooked and not given a chance.
    some ideas for forum headings might be
    Japanese kempo
    okinawan kempo
    american kenpo
    kuntao
    kajukenbo
    with all of their included substyles perhaps listed as sub-forums.
    i think this would give everyone that studies kempo proper representation on this board which would include having moderators from their respective styles.
    people that study something that has a traditional flavour are less likely to post here simply because of the numbers of epak and their sub-systems.
    i think the idea of kenpotalk is great......it just needs to be re-formatted somewhat to be more inclusive and less restrictive.
    people are bound to have opinions, and thats what discussion forums are all about.
    Last edited by Blackcatbonz; 09-26-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links