View Poll Results: Should there be an edit box for us to fix our posts in all posts and threads?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 65.38%
  • No

    9 34.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Edit box

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Edit box

    I think we should be able to edit our stuff in all posts and threads that we write. If we mess something up we should be able to fix it.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    I'm not sure what you mean. We already have an edit function. Apparently it only works for a limmited ammount of time after the post, or until someone else replies. I think this is good, since it would create too much confusion to be able to go back and edit any time. Replies are to what is written. How would any one be able to make sense of a reply if you change what you said? Then, there may be the unscrupulouse who would go back and change a post after being called on their stupidity/error/rudeness/whatever else might embarass them.

    If you mean a seperate box in the post to explain "what you meant to say," I think that would be best handled in a new post as it would maintain continuity and flow in the discussion.

    I think I just talked myself into a "No" vote.

    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. We already have an edit function. Apparently it only works for a limmited ammount of time after the post, or until someone else replies. I think this is good, since it would create too much confusion to be able to go back and edit any time. Replies are to what is written. How would any one be able to make sense of a reply if you change what you said? Then, there may be the unscrupulouse who would go back and change a post after being called on their stupidity/error/rudeness/whatever else might embarass them.

    If you mean a seperate box in the post to explain "what you meant to say," I think that would be best handled in a new post as it would maintain continuity and flow in the discussion.

    I think I just talked myself into a "No" vote.

    Dan C
    LOL. I meant in some of the sections we can not correct ourselves and than if there is a gramatical error we can not fix it so people would be very confused.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    You have 1 hour to correct any post you make anywhere on the sight after that you will need to send a message to the moderator of that section to edit your post or to a Global Mod to do this.

    If it something that mods or global mods can't handle then contact Bob Hubbard.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Got it
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    You have 1 hour to correct any post you make anywhere on the sight after that you will need to send a message to the moderator of that section to edit your post or to a Global Mod to do this.
    So, we could concievably edit/change a post after someone has replied? I'd recomend changing this if possible so that, once a reply is posted, or even started, you are locked in.

    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    So, we could concievably edit/change a post after someone has replied? I'd recomend changing this if possible so that, once a reply is posted, or even started, you are locked in.

    Dan C
    I have no control over the physical workings of the site. I know personally I have often edited my post minutes after making it to correct spelling errors or to add additional info.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    It was just a suggestion. Maybe you could pass it on to Bob H.

    As a side note, other than immediate minor changes, I usually post a P.S. titled edit: and say what I changed. Just a courtesy, especially if the meaning or content is significantly changed.

    Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Just proof read it before applying.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Event if you proof read it sometimes you will miss stuff
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  11. #11
    ronin6's Avatar
    ronin6 is offline
    KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oxford, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    I like it the way it is. I would keep things status quo.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

  12. #12
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline Retired


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,610
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    You can edit for up to an hour, after that, things are locked unless a mod edits it for you. Keeps things simplier, y'know?

    If you quote someone in the mean time, the original can change, but the quote will reflect the original posting.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

  13. #13
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    I think things work fine the way they are now. I know I have made some spelling or grammatical errors in posts. I try to be conscious of this when writing but I'm only human. If you have to retract what you say then I suggest you need to put more thought into what you are saying before hitting enter.

    If I can make a suggestion it would be for a spell check functgion

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cobourg ON
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    It was just a suggestion. Maybe you could pass it on to Bob H.

    As a side note, other than immediate minor changes, I usually post a P.S. titled edit: and say what I changed. Just a courtesy, especially if the meaning or content is significantly changed.

    Dan C
    i have to agree with you on this one dan......spelling errors i can see, but if you stick your foot in your mouth or something similar, i would like to see further posts that have you digging that foot out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,758
    Thanks
    822
    Thanked 675 Times in 490 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    i have to agree with you on this one dan......spelling errors i can see, but if you stick your foot in your mouth or something similar, i would like to see further posts that have you digging that foot out.
    Ya get off on that do ya? LMAO! I have to agree that watching someone else squirm is halarious. Then again, if it's me...I'll take that edit button!
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

  16. #16
    sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Thanks
    958
    Thanked 444 Times in 304 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    I would like to be able to edit spelling and that type mistake. I am sometimes more engrossed in what I am trying to say and sometimes miss small errors like that.. Thank You.

    I am most Respectfully ,
    sifuroy

  17. #17
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    I think things work fine the way they are now. I know I have made some spelling or grammatical errors in posts. I try to be conscious of this when writing but I'm only human. If you have to retract what you say then I suggest you need to put more thought into what you are saying before hitting enter.

    If I can make a suggestion it would be for a spell check functgion
    OK, now that we have it I have used it a couple of times I must say that I have used it to correct a technical error rather than retract a comment. Taking my own advice I should have checked before posting in the first place I guess.

  18. #18
    tiktok86's Avatar
    tiktok86 is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Martinez, CA
    Posts
    188
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    I voted yes unfortunately before taking a moment to think about it. I posted a few days ago with a spelling error that I was able to go in and correct right away. When I voted, I had forgotten that functionality was already there (so many forums with so many different settings)...so I say let it stay as it is.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    You have 1 hour to go back into your post and correct your spelling. You can also use the spell check function here onthe site. Upper right hand corner of the box that opens when you make a reply. (I always for get it is there too)
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

    execkenpo (03-05-2007)

  21. #20
    execkenpo is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 103 Times in 69 Posts

    Default Re: Edit box

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    You have 1 hour to go back into your post and correct your spelling. You can also use the spell check function here onthe site. Upper right hand corner of the box that opens when you make a reply. (I always for get it is there too)
    I had no idea we had a spell checker until you pointed it out. When you place your cursor over the little box it says "switch editor mode"......great site Bob but the meaning there is a little vague

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. This is worth reading
    By John Brewer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 02:16 PM