View Poll Results: Should there be an edit box for us to fix our posts in all posts and threads?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 65.38%
  • No

9 34.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edit box

Thanks

Default Edit box

I think we should be able to edit our stuff in all posts and threads that we write. If we mess something up we should be able to fix it.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Default Re: Edit box

I'm not sure what you mean. We already have an edit function. Apparently it only works for a limmited ammount of time after the post, or until someone else replies. I think this is good, since it would create too much confusion to be able to go back and edit any time. Replies are to what is written. How would any one be able to make sense of a reply if you change what you said? Then, there may be the unscrupulouse who would go back and change a post after being called on their stupidity/error/rudeness/whatever else might embarass them.

If you mean a seperate box in the post to explain "what you meant to say," I think that would be best handled in a new post as it would maintain continuity and flow in the discussion.

I think I just talked myself into a "No" vote.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. We already have an edit function. Apparently it only works for a limmited ammount of time after the post, or until someone else replies. I think this is good, since it would create too much confusion to be able to go back and edit any time. Replies are to what is written. How would any one be able to make sense of a reply if you change what you said? Then, there may be the unscrupulouse who would go back and change a post after being called on their stupidity/error/rudeness/whatever else might embarass them.

If you mean a seperate box in the post to explain "what you meant to say," I think that would be best handled in a new post as it would maintain continuity and flow in the discussion.

I think I just talked myself into a "No" vote.

Dan C
    LOL. I meant in some of the sections we can not correct ourselves and than if there is a gramatical error we can not fix it so people would be very confused.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

You have 1 hour to correct any post you make anywhere on the sight after that you will need to send a message to the moderator of that section to edit your post or to a Global Mod to do this.

If it something that mods or global mods can't handle then contact Bob Hubbard.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Got it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    You have 1 hour to correct any post you make anywhere on the sight after that you will need to send a message to the moderator of that section to edit your post or to a Global Mod to do this.
    So, we could concievably edit/change a post after someone has replied? I'd recomend changing this if possible so that, once a reply is posted, or even started, you are locked in.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

So, we could concievably edit/change a post after someone has replied? I'd recomend changing this if possible so that, once a reply is posted, or even started, you are locked in.

Dan C
    I have no control over the physical workings of the site. I know personally I have often edited my post minutes after making it to correct spelling errors or to add additional info.

Thanks

It was just a suggestion. Maybe you could pass it on to Bob H.

As a side note, other than immediate minor changes, I usually post a P.S. titled edit: and say what I changed. Just a courtesy, especially if the meaning or content is significantly changed.

Dan C

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Just proof read it before applying.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Event if you proof read it sometimes you will miss stuff

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I like it the way it is. I would keep things status quo.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

You can edit for up to an hour, after that, things are locked unless a mod edits it for you. Keeps things simplier, y'know?

If you quote someone in the mean time, the original can change, but the quote will reflect the original posting.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I think things work fine the way they are now. I know I have made some spelling or grammatical errors in posts. I try to be conscious of this when writing but I'm only human. If you have to retract what you say then I suggest you need to put more thought into what you are saying before hitting enter.

If I can make a suggestion it would be for a spell check functgion

Thanks

It was just a suggestion. Maybe you could pass it on to Bob H.

As a side note, other than immediate minor changes, I usually post a P.S. titled edit: and say what I changed. Just a courtesy, especially if the meaning or content is significantly changed.

Dan C
    i have to agree with you on this one dan......spelling errors i can see, but if you stick your foot in your mouth or something similar, i would like to see further posts that have you digging that foot out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    i have to agree with you on this one dan......spelling errors i can see, but if you stick your foot in your mouth or something similar, i would like to see further posts that have you digging that foot out.
    Ya get off on that do ya? LMAO! I have to agree that watching someone else squirm is halarious. Then again, if it's me...I'll take that edit button!
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I would like to be able to edit spelling and that type mistake. I am sometimes more engrossed in what I am trying to say and sometimes miss small errors like that.. Thank You.

I am most Respectfully ,
    sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    I think things work fine the way they are now. I know I have made some spelling or grammatical errors in posts. I try to be conscious of this when writing but I'm only human. If you have to retract what you say then I suggest you need to put more thought into what you are saying before hitting enter.

If I can make a suggestion it would be for a spell check functgion
    OK, now that we have it I have used it a couple of times I must say that I have used it to correct a technical error rather than retract a comment. Taking my own advice I should have checked before posting in the first place I guess.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I voted yes unfortunately before taking a moment to think about it. I posted a few days ago with a spelling error that I was able to go in and correct right away. When I voted, I had forgotten that functionality was already there (so many forums with so many different settings)...so I say let it stay as it is.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

Thanks

You have 1 hour to go back into your post and correct your spelling. You can also use the spell check function here onthe site. Upper right hand corner of the box that opens when you make a reply. (I always for get it is there too)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

execkenpo (03-05-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    You have 1 hour to go back into your post and correct your spelling. You can also use the spell check function here onthe site. Upper right hand corner of the box that opens when you make a reply. (I always for get it is there too)
    I had no idea we had a spell checker until you pointed it out. When you place your cursor over the little box it says "switch editor mode"......great site Bob but the meaning there is a little vague

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links