Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cross-threading

Thanks

Default cross-threading

Did you ever consider, or has anyone ever done, crossthreading? Partner with another forum, but from a differnt system or style, and compare notes? How philosophies and methods differ, or are similar? Maybe a grappling or MMA forum and find out how they deal with our defenses? How they set us up to make it less likely we can counter, and vice- versa. Or a FMA forum for weapons, a traditional arts forum for spirituality and discipline, or whatever. Compare training methods. Just link one thread or section to open dialog between the two styles and see what developes.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Default Re: cross-threading

I try to link posts back and forth from martialtalk if they're relevant to the discussion.

as for traditional arts.......thats what i was hoping the okinawan and japanese sections would do.....but so far it seems hard to get the serious budo crowd to sign up here.
    Hopefully, having teachers like Carl Long sensei posting will help.

I think anything to help improve traffic here is a good thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    I try to link posts back and forth from martialtalk if they're relevant to the discussion.
    That's good. But I was thinking more of a section on two seperate forums where posts would automatically read on both forums. It would be like useing your own forum, but you'd be posting with people from the other- or even more than one other. Not just a link, a simultaneouse conversation on more than one forum. I don't know if it is possible, or practical. Just an idea. I'd think that, if it could fly, it would get a lot more exposure for both forums, as well as opening up yours to new ideas. Have to be heavily moderated, though, I suppose.

Thanks

that does sound like a cool idea...........but it also sounds like an administrative nightmare.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Dunno know how possible that posting in 2 places at once would be...given that even in the MT "family", the independent boards have their own security (own user accounts, own supporting memberships, etc.)

Something that comes to my mind immediately is that the post count of the two boards would go up but the traffic would not. If a Kenpoists posts something that is mirrored on an FMA site and an FMAist reads the mirrored post, that is not driving user traffic to either site because the Kenpoist never actually goes to the FMA site and the FMAist never goes to the Kenpo site.

That being said, now that I'm a mod on FMAtalk, I'm always up for discussing ways to bring new people over there. I'd be glad to bring your ideas up to the staff, however I'd like to get a better feel of what you would like to accomplish.

What are some sample topics that you think would be of interest? What do you think would spark the interest of an FMAist, and vice versa?

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

There is way to use the rss feed system, and a new feature of vB to do something similar. One would still have to sign up on both boards though, and it would only provide initial links to the threads.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    There is way to use the rss feed system, and a new feature of vB to do something similar. One would still have to sign up on both boards though, and it would only provide initial links to the threads.
    The only part of that I understood was signing up on both boards. This would probably be a good thing, as only those interested in the exchange of ideas would be participating. You'd be subject to the rules of both, and their mods.

The rest, sounds like you're saying it is technologically possible.

Dan C

Thanks

Yup.

It is possible to set things up so that you sign up once, and can then move around at-will through several boards. It's a technical pain in the backside, but it can be done. It requires some serious integration between sites though.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    That being said, now that I'm a mod on FMAtalk, I'm always up for discussing ways to bring new people over there. I'd be glad to bring your ideas up to the staff, however I'd like to get a better feel of what you would like to accomplish.

What are some sample topics that you think would be of interest? What do you think would spark the interest of an FMAist, and vice versa?
    Carol, the FMA's are a good adjunct to any MA system. That is one of their strengths- they adapt well. They can also borrow (and do extensively) from other systems. So this would be a good pilot if the two forums are interested. Is FMATalk one of Bobs' sites?

Topics- pretty much unlimmited.The FMA people I've worked out with were not deep into principles and concepts. But some enjoyed getting into that with me. That is one area Kenpo can really contribute to those who are interested.

On our side, I think that most Kenpoists have an unrealistic idea of what they will face in a weapons attack. Maybe looking at our defenses from their perspective would be a good thing. Our moves work, and are similar to what they do. But I've never been able to run a technique on them. I worked with one technique based FMA group, and they never ran a technique either in a fight- and they fought full contact weekly!

Footwork is a good area of comparison. Everything they do is in Kenpo. But, untill I learned to rotate the axis on my neutral bow 45', and keep it there, I got slaughtered on the floor! Their footwork drills are some of the best for developing speed and evasiveness (funny, that). Could help our training a lot to adopt some of their drills and footwork combinations.

Many FMA's lack the structure we have in Kenpo, and often don't apply the power principles we do, or at least as well as we do. They are (understandably) more into mobility. We could help their empty hands application here, and when applied with a stick those principles yield awesome results!

Drills- both systems do sensitivity drills, which are really similar. We could share idas there.

Obviously, schools and subsystems varry in both camps. So there is an even greater opportunity to compare different ideas and methods. The biggest advantage is the radically different perspective brought to the discussion.

When I have went to boards from other systems, I allways felt like an outsider. They are there to discuss their art. Even on boards like Martial Talk, I get a sort of "this is my area, that's yours" feeling about the different systems. But a cooperative venture like this would open things up a little. Everyone should be there to respectfully compare and learn from each others ideas and methods.

Just throwing some ideas out for consideration. What got me thinking about it was Robs' membership drive and, at the same time, the only other forum I post on (NoHoldsBarandGrill) is desperately looking for people to post there. In fact, they are so desperate (new forum) they wanted Kenpoists to post our ground applications! Imagine what it takes to drive an MMA forum to ask Kenpoists about ground tactics! The reason I went there was to get ideas to improve my defenses against takedowns. They might be another place to look to try this.

I've worked out with several different systems, and each one has given me a whole new perspective on Kenpo. I think that others who've done this will agree. So, this forum exchange/ co-threading/ cross-threading/ whatever you want to call it sounded like an idea worth throwing out there. Bob seems like sort of an innovater and pretty savvy about these forums. So, I put the idea out to see if he wants to try and run with it. I have no understanding of the technical or business end of it. But, heck, I allways have ideas!

Dan C

Thanks

Yup.

It is possible to set things up so that you sign up once, and can then move around at-will through several boards. It's a technical pain in the backside, but it can be done. It requires some serious integration between sites though.
    That would work, though I had envisioned just accessing the one section of both forums. But, again, I don't know if that is possible. And it would obviously be up to the forum owners and staff how they set it up- both from a "pain in the backside" and a security perspective. Then, there's the business end to consider- they might generate more exposure with unlimmited crossover access. I see some of the problems and bennifits to all concerned, but don't have the expertise to ballance them. And, I wouldn't be the one taking the risks. So, like I said, It's just an idea for those who do know to consider.

Dan C

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    So this would be a good pilot if the two forums are interested. Is FMATalk one of Bobs' sites?
    Yes it is. It's a pretty serious group though...the tone is more sober than here on KenpoTalk.

I've worked out with several different systems, and each one has given me a whole new perspective on Kenpo. I think that others who've done this will agree. So, this forum exchange/ co-threading/ cross-threading/ whatever you want to call it sounded like an idea worth throwing out there. Bob seems like sort of an innovater and pretty savvy about these forums. So, I put the idea out to see if he wants to try and run with it. I have no understanding of the technical or business end of it. But, heck, I allways have ideas!

Dan C

The idea does sound interesting. I'd wonder how much interest there would be on the other side...I think there may be more Kenpoists intrested in the FMAs than there are FMAists interested in Kenpo.

I'd also wonder if there was a way to take the idea for a test drive. I'd hate to see Bob do some PITA admin work for an idea that nobody uses or an idea that was cool for a short time but fell to the wayside once it's novelty wore off. On the other hand, it could be be a way of sharing ideas that really is innovative, different, and rewarding.

What do you think Bob?

Thanks

FMATalks owned by Tim Hartman, though I do host it, take care of the technical side and consult on the project.

I can setup a bot that will take certain feeds and create some cross posting. Let me play with it a bit.....

Thanks

Ok, experimental EPAK Bot set up.

Lemme know what y'all think.....

Thanks

copied from the Ed Parker Two Bot:

OK, I'm confused- I thought the bots were supposed to allow us to post on both forums. But PK's post only appears here, and when I tried to post on MT they wanted me to log on.

So, is the idea we read there and post here, and both forums read what the other says? Or, have I botched the Bot thing?

Dan- drifting in cyber space- C

I warned you, no idea what I'm doing...

Dan C

Thanks

The bots will pull content over, but to post on the other board, you need to have an account there too.

You can sign up there and post there, or, you can pick up the topic here, or, you can do both.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Ok, experimental EPAK Bot set up.

Lemme know what y'all think.....
    Don't like it. I like the people we have here, and if the people on MT want to post here they are more than welcome to. In some instances the Bot will send over a post that is a question and the if the person is a member of both forums they will have to answer it twice or seem rude.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I'm working on a few kinks.

-Feed is limited to max of 10 topics per 30 minutes. I can adjust that.
    -Also looking at feeding KT content back to MT.
    -Looking into additional feed exchanges.
    -Future feed posts will go to a new forum. Staff here(supers) can move the threads around as they see fit, or delete redundant duplicates as needed.

I'm thinking we try it for a week or 2, see how it goes. Tweak it as we need to, and see.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Don't like it. I like the people we have here, and if the people on MT want to post here they are more than welcome to. In some instances the Bot will send over a post that is a question and the if the person is a member of both forums they will have to answer it twice or seem rude.
    I agree with you, I don't like the bots either. I am not a member of MT because of the them requiring the real first and last name of each member, and I don't want to do that because of privacy concerns. I almost left here because both websites are owned by the same guy, and I can see it comming down the pike where they will want the same thing here. Do I want to help build a forum if I'll be pushed aside because of some business decision which requires a loss of privacy?

The bots also make it look like this place is being spammed. Topics are started and it is possible nobody here would be interested in them. It is different if a human starts the topic here, at least that means someone wants to talk about it.

Thanks

*Sigh*

The real name rule has been in effect at MT for almost 2 years. The signup page clearly states it's required. But all MT wanted was a name and a location, the later of which is easily discovered anyway. What happens is people ignore that rule, then complain when called on it. We used to simply delete those accounts without notice, now we ask nicely, and allow time to correct before killing accounts.

As to this site requiring it, it has been considered. At this time, we don't feel it is warranted, but you're right....someday it might be. More and more sites are requiring some form of accountability. BudoSeek for example requires you to "sign" all your posts with your full real name. SwordForums bans handles entirely, and is "real name only". I've been on at least a dozen other sites with similar policies, one which requires a copy of photo ID prior to account activation.

So, yeah, things could change. And, it will come down to a business decision in the end, as, this is a business. So, the decision is yours really. Stick around and take the risk, or head elsewhere.

Now, the Bots....
    Kenpo is discussed on dozens of sites. Some of those discussions have some solid information in them. Many are pure fluff and could easily be done without.The Bots aren't smart enough to know the difference, yet. Feeds need a little tweaking to keep it from looking like a spammer went nuts too.
    I tweaked the setting down to max of 5 topics every hour. If thats still too much, then I'll tweak some more. KT's staff will be able to weed out the fluff threads as well. In the end, I see us picking up a couple threads a day this way, and drawing in some additional members, which will help us grow.

As to "Topics are started and it is possible nobody here would be interested in them.", this is true.

It's also possible that someone here may be interested, but doesn't frequent the other site.

It's an experiment, and the "no's" are being heard.
    But no one wanted the arcade on MT either, LOL!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Keep the bots for 30 days to see what comes from it. If it pans out great if not no biggie. I would rather have the Bots than the Arcade.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links