Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: public & private chat area...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default public & private chat area...

Would there be a possibility for us to have a Chat area?? Maybe one where we could have a public and private chat option?? I think that it'd be beneficial and would go along well with the "Buddy List" feature.
    Possible?????????

thanks
    Your Brother
    John

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,156 Posts

Default Re: public & private chat area...

A chat rooms on the "todo list" to be added this summer. Have some logistics to work out first.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

I haven't found reliable software that plays nice with vbulletin yet. Once I do, I'll be adding this feature.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

THANKS for your efforts Bob!
    I think this will be a very worthwhile feature.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

I think it would be OK *if* the bugs are worked out. Last year on BudoSeek one of the moderators aped my username in a chatroom and said some untrue about my training and how I felt about other members. The things that were said were not kind.

If the chat room can be used to get to know one another better, thats fine. But such a feature can be abused very very easily by people that don't have enough in their life to do.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-15-2007),execkenpo (06-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    I think it would be OK *if* the bugs are worked out. Last year on BudoSeek one of the moderators aped my username in a chatroom and said some untrue about my training and how I felt about other members. The things that were said were not kind.

If the chat room can be used to get to know one another better, thats fine. But such a feature can be abused very very easily by people that don't have enough in their life to do.
    It doesn't speak well of the forum when you get that kind of behaviour from a mod. A fairly simple solution would be to make it necessary to sign in to participate, the same as it is necessary to sign in to forum to make comments.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to execkenpo For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-15-2007),kenpo0324 (06-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

1. Except it is impossible to "ape" your username in the chatroom even for a moderator. The chatroom uses the same login process and database as the vbulletin forum software. Someone would have to have access to your account, change your password, log in as you, go to the chatroom, behave in a naughty fashion and then change your password back so that you were not the wiser. Moderators at BudoSeek DO NOT have the access to do any of these things.

2. If this actually happened, why did you not report it to me or one of the moderators or administrators? If this had happened and your reported it, it would have been pretty easy to find out who the perpetrator was.

3. I have noted that your last activity on BudoSeek was May 15th, 2007. Your had your account violated, your identity stolen, yet you continue to come back?

Sorry, but I do not buy what you are saying.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    A fairly simple solution would be to make it necessary to sign in to participate, the same as it is necessary to sign in to forum to make comments.
    See my previous comment. Also, you MUST be a member of BudoSeek in order to log into the chatroom. As I mentioned, it uses the same authentication and member database as the forum software to login to the chat, as it does the forums.

If you are not a member at BudoSeek or not currently logged on, try and get into the chatroom. Follow the link below and you will see that you cannot get in.

http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/chat.php
    Last edited by Robert Carver; 06-15-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carver View Post
    1. Except it is impossible to "ape" your username in the chatroom even for a moderator. The chatroom uses the same login process and database as the vbulletin forum software. Someone would have to have access to your account, change your password, log in as you, go to the chatroom, behave in a naughty fashion and then change your password back so that you were not the wiser. Moderators at BudoSeek DO NOT have the access to do any of these things.

2. If this actually happened, why did you not report it to me or one of the moderators or administrators? If this had happened and your reported it, it would have been pretty easy to find out who the perpetrator was.

3. I have noted that your last activity on BudoSeek was May 15th, 2007. Your had your account violated, your identity stolen, yet you continue to come back?

Sorry, but I do not buy what you are saying.
    I did report it sir. I recall having a conversation with you about it, and you apologized. What action was taken, I do not know.

As for why I returned, there is a Muay Thai instructor in my area that has the same name as one of your staffers. I do have a memory that is good enough to often recall who I meet when so I asked him if he was the teacher and asked him about his class.

Mr. Carver, other than your insinuation that I am not being truthful, I have no issue with either you or your forum sir, only your chat software.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I did report it sir. I recall having a conversation with you about it, and you apologized. What action was taken, I do not know.
    I honestly cannot recall ever speaking to you on this matter, exchanging emails/PMs about it, or otherwise ever dealing with anything like this. If you have any of those emails, PM's etc, I would appreciative if you would forward them to me.

As I mentioned about the authentication process to get into the chatroom, it has been in place for over three years and no one had any more access to get into user accounts or login to the chat then, than they do now.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

See my previous comment. Also, you MUST be a member of BudoSeek in order to log into the chatroom. As I mentioned, it uses the same authentication and member database as the forum software to login to the chat, as it does the forums.

If you are not a member at BudoSeek or not currently logged on, try and get into the chatroom. Follow the link below and you will see that you cannot get in.

http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/chat.php
    I've never been on Budoseek so don't know the rules, etc...I based my comments on those of Carol whom I've always seen to be respectful on our forum

Thanks

I honestly cannot recall ever speaking to you on this matter, exchanging emails/PMs about it, or otherwise ever dealing with anything like this. If you have any of those emails, PM's etc, I would appreciative if you would forward them to me.

As I mentioned about the authentication process to get into the chatroom, it has been in place for over three years and no one had any more access to get into user accounts or login to the chat then, than they do now.
    I did save a few PMs but I didn't keep any from you...space was limited. However, I have forwarded you the e-mail from the staffer in question who admits that he "hijacked" the names and was playing with the "secret moderator controls" (his words.) That e-mail has already been forwarded to you.

What happened sir was a mistake and has long since past. I don't begrudge anyone for what happened. But out of respect for my acquaintances, friends, and mentors here...I absolutely would not want to see something similar happen here, either as a prank or from someone going to extremes to make a political point.

(I know..politics in Kenpo?? Whodathunk....)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Carol:

I have yet to receive your email, but I think the fog is starting to lift now! (this is what happens when you hit your head on the mat too many times)

The person in question did not actually hijack your account, but rather abused an administrative feature called "cloaking". Here's how it happened:

When you type something into the chat, you would get the username in brackets and your message to the right. For example:

[Webmaster] Here is what I typed.

When you are in cloaked mode, you can type and the username in brackets do not appear. So the cloaked individual can type a username and their own brackets to make it appear the person typing is someone else. For instance:

[Carol Kaur] Here is what I typed.

Anyway, this is what happened. It was not an actual security violation of a member's account, but abuse of administrative privileges. For the record, the individual in question while still a mod no longer as admin privileges in the chatroom.

Anyway, thanks for helping clear out the foggy brain Carol and my apologies. I will now go away.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert Carver For This Useful Post:

Carol (06-15-2007),Rob Broad (06-15-2007)

Thanks

Yes.....that sounds about right. Fog is lifting here too only mine is from getting hit with a stick too many times.

You are a class act sir and so is Budoseek.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

execkenpo (06-15-2007),Rob Broad (06-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

It doesn't speak well of the forum when you get that kind of behaviour from a mod. A fairly simple solution would be to make it necessary to sign in to participate, the same as it is necessary to sign in to forum to make comments.
    Carol:

I have yet to receive your email, but I think the fog is starting to lift now! (this is what happens when you hit your head on the mat.

The person in question did not actually hijack your account, but rather abused an administrative feature called "cloaking". Here's how it happened:

When you type something into the chat, you would get the username in brackets and your message to the right. For example:

[Webmaster] Here is what I typed.

When you are in cloaked mode, you can type and the username in brackets do not appear. So the cloaked individual can type a username and their own brackets to make it appear the person typing is someone else. For instance:

[Carol Kaur] Here is what I typed.

Anyway, this is what happened. It was not an actual security violation of a member's account, but abuse of administrative privileges. For the record, the individual in question while still a mod no longer as admin privileges in the chatroom.

Anyway, thanks for helping clear out the foggy brain Carol and my apologies. I will now go away.
    To Robert,

As for my previous comment regarding your forum, I will retract my implication that your forum is somehow undesireable. In seeing how you have handled this situation and the chain of events that lead up to it, it is obvious that you strive to operate your forum in a manner that is respectful of others.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to execkenpo For This Useful Post:

Carol (06-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

... it is obvious that you strive to operate your forum in a manner that is respectful of others.
    Absolutely, but we do stop and take time to make fun of the TKD folks!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Carver For This Useful Post:

Carol (06-15-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Don't we all? I think even the TKD folks make fun of the TKD folks.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

They seem to have some fun at our expense too

http://tkdtutor.com/13Sparring/SlapHappy.htm

http://tkdtutor.com/06Concepts/Techn...Rebounding.htm

Thanks

Just a note on Mr. Carver and Budoseek. MT and Budoseek are on very good professional terms with each other. That's rare today when you have so many boards that just slam each other to pieces. We're in semi-regular communications and I have found both him and his site to be top notch. If I wasn't so darn busy with everything I'm immersed in, his site's one of the 2 or 3 forums I'd hang out more on.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Don't we all? I think even the TKD folks make fun of the TKD folks.
    HI....
    My name's John
    (((audience in unison)))
    "HI JOHN"
    I'm a recovering Tae Kwan Do'ist!!!

Your Brother
    John (6 years, Tae Kwan Do Moo Duk Kwan)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links