Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is needed?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default What is needed?

Just a little over 2 weeks ago KenpoTalk had its best day ever, and now it seems to be in a slump. What is needed to re-invogorate this place?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: What is needed?

I know its spring break for some....perhaps some folks aren't home
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

I keep checking the new posts but I am waiting for someone to throw something out there I canít help but put in my .02
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

If thats the case, then just start your own threads
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Some of the other boards I go to have been in a slump also. I have been busier at work so that has cut into my time.

Thanks

I think there are just some ups and downs.

My brain needed a break from the forum for a bit, so I haven't been posting much. Work picked up and next week I"m going to Disneyland for a week (woo hoo).

When I get back, I'm sure my brain will be teeming with important kenpo-related thoughts and questions to share with everyone.

-Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it too much. You're bound to see trends in the use of the forum where some times of the day/month/year are busier than others.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I've been busy packing- and it is spring break for this area Univ. students..
    The 4 yrs I've been with MartialTalk.. we always see the up's n' down's post wise.. tis the nature of the beast
    "Corrupt, but Ruthless."

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Spring break, some good weather starting to show up, etc. Also, you can only run so far before you need a breather. I'm seeing slowdowns all over the place so, I'm not too concerned. It'll pick up once we can keep the windows open regularly again.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Just a little over 2 weeks ago KenpoTalk had its best day ever, and now it seems to be in a slump. What is needed to re-invogorate this place?
    This is my first post (although I've been visiting for some time) but seeing as I have an opinion on this (and since you asked) I'll share some constructive comments.

1. Personally I find this site rather difficult to view. The white-on-light-blue text is extremely hard for me to read. In fact I'm finding it difficult right now writing this message. Now although I do wear reading-glasses, I wouldn't class myself as vision-impared (I'm a 'young-un'), but I do wonder if other people may find it even more difficult than I to read the messages?

2. The new layout is rather 'busy' for my tastes, especially the graphics which are slow to load on my browser. Personally I find the graphical-borders around the posts detract from the posts themselves...I'm sure a lot of effort went into designing this site so sorry if this seems a little critical. (but seeing as you asked..)

3. I find the organisation of the main page quite confusing. There are a large number of forum-areas presented on the main page, and no clear separation/structure to the groupings - to me, it just seems like a long list of forum-titles and I find it a hard to know where to focus in on..I have to scan the whole page and read each forum title (and description) before I know where I want to go...and all this with the white/blue text which makes it hard for me.

My suggestion would be to make the forum-group separations a little clearer - maybe using text of a different contrasting colour, or different font-size, thicker borders maybe, just so I can form a better visual 'structure' of what I'm reading.

4. There are lots of forums at the top of the main-page which don't interest me and I find I have to scroll a fair way down to find where I want to go. Also I find the EPAK-related posts rather spread-out over the various forums..

5. I find the same problem when viewing posts. Before I can start reading anything, I have to scroll my browser down a full page to get to the posts - I find there's alot of text/graphics at the top of each page which don't contribute to the posts themselves. And each individual post is quite dis-jointed by all the graphics/borders so I find they don't 'tie together'. Too much scrolling..

6. I found the default 'hybrid' thread mode confusing, and wasn't quite sure about the 'tree-view' thread thingy. I would see that a new thread had been posted to a forum, but when I got there I couldn't see the new posts because there was no 'page 1|2|3' links available. I'd usually leave the forum at that point. This 'page 1|2' feature is the primary mechanism I use to navigate a forum-topic. I've just switched to 'linear mode' now but I do feel (personally!) it would be better to have this as the default mode.

7. Even in linear mode, the 'Page 1|2|3' links at the bottom of the page could be more visible...I find I have to search around for it at the moment. As I previously said, this is the main mechanism I use to give me a visual-indication of where-abouts I am within the thread.

My reasons for not previously posting here is primarily the accessibility factor. Overall I prefer the simplicity and clean design of MartialTalk, and the conventional black-on-white text. So that's where I prefer to post.

respectfully,
    James

Thanks

Hi James,
    I just got back from a tournament so am a little brain dead, but let me see if I can get a couple answers up for ya.

1-2 Near the bottom of each page should be a drop down menu. It'll list whichever "theme" you are currently viewing. It might say something like "Kenpotalk" or "Xtreem". See if it'll let you set it to default. Thats closer to the MT layout and colors.

Doing the above might also help clear up #3-7 as well.

If you don't mind telling, which webbrowser are you using to view the site? Each browser renders things a little differently, and it'll help me troubleshoot things.

Thanks!
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    Hi James,
    I just got back from a tournament so am a little brain dead, but let me see if I can get a couple answers up for ya.

1-2 Near the bottom of each page should be a drop down menu. It'll list whichever "theme" you are currently viewing. It might say something like "Kenpotalk" or "Xtreem". See if it'll let you set it to default. Thats closer to the MT layout and colors.

Doing the above might also help clear up #3-7 as well.

If you don't mind telling, which webbrowser are you using to view the site? Each browser renders things a little differently, and it'll help me troubleshoot things.

Thanks!
    Hi!
    well I found the theme-chooser and I've got it set to 'default' - I didn't realise that this feature was available but its certainly improved *all* the issues I was having. Hmmmm well thats a little embarrassing now after having posted all of that only to have such a simple solution So summing up, I guess my original problem centered around not being able to find the 'theme-chooser', and also not realising that this facility was available.

btw I'm using IE6.0 with XPSP2

thanks for your help!
    James

Thanks

It has been a long time since this thread was visited and we have a lot of new members all of who probably have an idea or two that would help make this place even better.

Thanks

All of these senior names under the lineages but only a couple of them post around here.

Maybe someone should try and get a hold of them and have our own senior corner here.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    It has been a long time since this thread was visited and we have a lot of new members all of who probably have an idea or two that would help make this place even better.
    I would have joined earlier if I would have known about this website. I searched Google and you guys don't come in the top 5 pages for "kempo". I'm sure I am not the only one who looked for a place like this and could not find it. A little bit of advertising will get many new members.

Also, I doubt new members will want to give their full first and last name when joining. Nobody knows who runs this website, nobody knows if the information is being harvested or what not. I would get rid of that field, at least the last name part. People like to have control over their privacy.

Thanks

The site is owned by me.
    I also own Martialtalk.com, NoHoldsBarandGrill.com, WNYMartialArts.com and Martialpedia.com

Right now, those fields are optional, though having at least a first name is nice. MartialTalk by comparison requires full name and location in 2 private (staff readable only) fields, to help deal with problem users.
    No names/emails are distributed by us, and your email address is hidden unless you send an email through the system, in which case the person you email will see it. I'm big on net privacy.

As to the advertising, I hear ya. A good part of that is getting as many people as possible to link back to us. It'll greatly help us out on sites like Google. I just got 1,000 full color business cards printed to help advertise the site, just need to get them out into the world I'd love to do some serious advertising (magazine) but we can't cover that yet. Soon though, soon

But, Welcome! Our best advertising is word of mouth. Tell folks about us and suggest they visit us. Some areas are a little slow, but with a few interested people using them, things can change.

Thanks

In fact Bob is so picky about the idea of people emails that he wouldn't use his sporadic addresses to the membership to announce events or other projects he is involved in. One of the great things about this place is all of the staff are members first and foremost before being moderators, and we are all martial artists in one form of Kenpo/kempo or another with Bob being the exception, so we are all interested in seeing only the most positive reflection of our various arts.

Most of us have linked back to this site n our webpages, and some even in their emails. There is even a referrer system so you can keep track of how many people you have encouraged to join the site if they follow your link. Just follow this link to learn more about the referrer system and how to use it Referrer System

P.S. I agree with Parkerkarate the Seniors Corner on MT should be moved over here.

Thanks

A KT Seniors Corner is on my to-do list.
    The challenge is, getting the seniors on board. Some don't do forums, some had bad experiences, some are simply too busy, etc. Our goal is, to provide an area where they can participate without having to deal with the mud, etc that's soured things in the past.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    A KT Seniors Corner is on my to-do list.
    The challenge is, getting the seniors on board. Some don't do forums, some had bad experiences, some are simply too busy, etc. Our goal is, to provide an area where they can participate without having to deal with the mud, etc that's soured things in the past.
    I am offering to babysit that area to make sure that the Seniors have as clear of waters as possible.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

The smilies to the right of the reply box are a bit much for me. Too bright, too colorful too...exploding.

Makes it kind of hard to post from work.

If I did post from work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links