Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ElizDVM
  • 1 Post By justme
  • 2 Post By KirkS

Thread: Into the New Year

Thanks
    Thanked 3,467 Times in 2,109 Posts

Default Into the New Year

As we enter into the new year, I think it's appropriate to once again touch bases with you, the users of KenpoTalk. Over the past ten plus years, Bob Hubbard, the many people who have been Moderators and you the members have made this forum into a deep depository of Kenpo knowledge. Everyone should be proud of what this site has to offer to the art because it is through your efforts that it came to be what it is.

The downside? We have become a forum where a few, dedicated members continue to participate on a regular basis. I thank you for your continued efforts to discuss and improve the knowledge base of Kenpo, and move the art forward. However, while I write this, there are five registered members online and 187 guests. I last asked this question in 2012 and the issues remain the same. I would like to find ways to increase the participation rate, so I am looking to you the members, for ideas on how we can increase our numbers. After all, like every discussion forum in the Internet, it is up to the people to drive the discussion.

I look forward to your input and a rewarding year to come.

Thank you!

Jim Daugherty
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (01-06-2016),KirkS (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,258 Posts

Default Re: Into the New Year

Don't be afraid of controversy. As in boxing when fighters clinch don't be in such a hurry to break things up. We are all big guys and girls !

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-03-2016),KirkS (01-04-2016)

Thanks

Thank you for the input, nelson. It's interesting that you say that. I've been accused of letting things go too far and also "power trippin'" when I step in. Lol!

Treading that fine line is always the challenge. I've been involved in forums where it was a free for all and forums where the Mods toe a tight line. If this is an issue of concern, I am more than happy to carry that discussion farther.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-04-2016),nelson (01-04-2016)

Thanks

It's just a suggestion. I'll be bringing over a link to using NLP as a component of system training.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-04-2016),KirkS (01-05-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Getting the silent majority to chime in is a challenge with any forum.

One forum I belong to (not a martial arts forum) started having surveys. The silent majority could participate in the survey but would not have to actually do much writing or take responses personally.
    justme likes this.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElizDVM For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-05-2016),KirkS (01-05-2016)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I like this suggestion. It is a good starting point for those of us that are new to kenpo. I am learning so much by reading that I cannot always formulate a question or a topic. As a white belt (here and in real life), I like the surveys.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizDVM View Post

One forum I belong to (not a martial arts forum) started having surveys. The silent majority could participate in the survey but would not have to actually do much writing or take responses personally.
    ElizDVM likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to justme For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-05-2016)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Don't be afraid of controversy. As in boxing when fighters clinch don't be in such a hurry to break things up. We are all big guys and girls !
    Yes, but the problem is that sometimes it turns into a personal attack against someone or some system. that becomes a turn off to me. I am not against constructive criticism or someone telling things that would improve my Kenpo. What bothers me is the whole "my style is better than your style of Kenpo."
    If what you are studying gives you self defense skills, than I consider your system legitimate. And I care even less about lineage.
    Another issue I think is just ordinary everyday life. Poeple may not have the spare time to devote to contributing to Kenpotalk.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenpo_Paladin For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-05-2016),KirkS (01-05-2016),nelson (01-04-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo_Paladin View Post
    Yes, but the problem is that sometimes it turns into a personal attack against someone or some system. that becomes a turn off to me. I am not against constructive criticism or someone telling things that would improve my Kenpo. What bothers me is the whole "my style is better than your style of Kenpo."
    I think that is a huge turn off for everyone
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KirkS For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-05-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    I think that is a huge turn off for everyone

I don't worry about it too much...

but then again my personal very single minded view of Kenpo is the only true real and acceptable one soo.... I don't worry about other people being so absurdly wrong...

:P

But seriously, if we want more interaction, I'd say people just need to share more word of mouth to those they train with. Encourage people to engage online to discuss, dispute, and explore the art. It starts with those we know.

The Bunny
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-05-2016),KirkS (01-06-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElizDVM View Post

Could you expound more on what you think this would look like? We have to ability to create polls here. Would you post a survey thread with a poll, without, or it depends?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-06-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo_Paladin View Post
    If what you are studying gives you self defense skills, than I consider your system legitimate. And I care even less about lineage.
    Another issue I think is just ordinary everyday life. Poeple may not have the spare time to devote to contributing to Kenpotalk.
    This has always been an issue. When it starts to get personal is when we typically step in. It's a fine line between strong, non-personal debates and attacking someone personally.

I also get that people are busy, get forum fatigue, etc. The fact that we still have pretty good visitor traffic is a definite plus.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-06-2016)

Thanks

We need to see blood on the floor as a man named Sonny used to sa
    A little blood maybe but no teeth and broken bones.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nelson For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-06-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Could you expound more on what you think this would look like? We have to ability to create polls here. Would you post a survey thread with a poll, without, or it depends?
    Maybe we could take a poll on having a poll............
    Bob Hubbard and KenpoMD like this.
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    I am not a great graphics person, but I guess I would envision the question with possible answers at the top center or left hand side on the landing page. You have to log in to take the survey. You have to answer the question to see the results of the survey. I personally prefer results in pie chart form. No idea if this is possible in real time.

An idea for survey ideas would be to look at the posts which are read most frequently and/or start a thread with suggestions for surveys people would be interested in.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Another idea would be to have a "Hot Button" folder with discussions/topics that lead to, shall we say, intense discussion. Those that have thick skins and like a good, few holds barred argument could duke it out there. Those that are sensitive should know not to post or even go there. If other discussions get too heated, they could be moved to that folder.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I don't think it's a matter of having a thick skin or being sensitive. I like a good, passionate debate. Trust me, I'm use to it, I grew up in an Italian family. But I also know that when people have to result to personal attacks, it's because they cannot defend their point of view with facts. I have little tolerance for anyone that feels the need to personally attack, belittle or degrade another individual. it's usually the sign of someone who is narrow minded. They are not interested in debating, they are interested in proselytizing their point of view as the only valid one.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    Maybe we could take a poll on having a poll............
    I was about to say the same thing
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links