Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sherryjeffries

Thread: Shaking off 20 years of rust...

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Talking Shaking off 20 years of rust...

Hello everybody,

I've been out of serious training for... well, a really long time. An injury in my early 20's caused my martial arts training to give way to the guitar, and a refocusing of my life toward music.

However, being a late thirty-something...still in decent shape, albeit with an expanding waistline...I realized it was time for me to do something to prolong my health since my normal activities weren't sufficient anymore.

I'm glad to have found this forum! I plan on "refreshing" myself with all of the techniques and forms to get back up to speed...or at least half speed... and then find a school to continue my training and someday earn my black belt. Although music has provided me a lot of great times and opportunities over the years, there has been a void left by my abandonment of Kenpo training, and it's time to fill it.

I trained under Sifu Cliff McKinney in the Tracy System. In fact, I have been trying to find information on Sifu McKinney, but he is not in any data bases or lineage listings that I have found. I know he was/is (still alive?) a Tracy black belt, but he seems to have been forgotten or left out of any discussions I have found. Has anybody here seen or heard of him?

I also trained with Al Farnsworth for a little while. I have read some disparaging remarks about Mr. Farnsworth by people who apparently don't know him, but he was actually a friend of mine more than an instructor. I'll leave my personal comments about him for another thread.

Also, if anybody here is aware of any authentic Kenpo schools in the Las Vegas area, please let me know.

Thank you for including me!

Raven Storm

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Default Re: Shaking off 20 years of rust...

Welcome to the site. Enjoy your stay & if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    You are not here to win friends. You are not here to look pretty. You are not here to stare at some chick's @ss. You know why you're here. And if you don't, then get the **** out because you're just taking up space......So SHUT up and TRAIN - Flex Mag.

`If you wish to get ahold of me please contact me at jhfarnsworth@yahoo.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Welcome to the site
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I left the martial arts as an active member for 8 years myself. I hope you find what you are looking for. Welcome to the site and you will not find bette people to deal with.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Welcome to kT!

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 728 Posts

Welcome Brother... Music and Kenpo go together very well. I'm a bit of a guitar player, myself.

You'll find a great bunch of guys and gals here, even if there are different opinions, we all still get along purty well.

Dan

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    Welcome Brother... Music and Kenpo go together very well. I'm a bit of a guitar player, myself.

You'll find a great bunch of guys and gals here, even if there are different opinions, we all still get along purty well.

Dan

Thank you to everybody! I greatly appreciate the warm reception.

Yes, my instructor was an influence on me where the guitar is concerned also. Mr. McKinney and a couple of his other instructors would sometimes sit around and play in the dojo between classes. He brought it to a camp he conducted once also. I remember him being pretty good!

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander702 View Post
    Hello everybody,

I trained under Sifu Cliff McKinney in the Tracy System. In fact, I have been trying to find information on Sifu McKinney, but he is not in any data bases or lineage listings that I have found. I know he was/is (still alive?) a Tracy black belt, but he seems to have been forgotten or left out of any discussions I have found. Has anybody here seen or heard of him?

Raven Storm
    Just a follow up thought. Your Sifu McKinney might have been like Walter Tanamoto. Mr. Tanamoto learned all 22 of the accepted Tracy kata, and did them on tape for his Black Belt thesis. Tracy's still sells the tape as a training reference. He also has disappeared from the face of the earth.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander702 View Post
    Hello everybody,

I've been out of serious training for... well, a really long time. An injury in my early 20's caused my martial arts training to give way to the guitar, and a refocusing of my life toward music.

However, being a late thirty-something...still in decent shape, albeit with an expanding waistline...I realized it was time for me to do something to prolong my health since my normal activities weren't sufficient anymore.

I'm glad to have found this forum! I plan on "refreshing" myself with all of the techniques and forms to get back up to speed...or at least half speed... and then find a school to continue my training and someday earn my black belt. Although music has provided me a lot of great times and opportunities over the years, there has been a void left by my abandonment of Kenpo training, and it's time to fill it.

I also trained with Al Farnsworth for a little while. I have read some disparaging remarks about Mr. Farnsworth by people who apparently don't know him, but he was actually a friend of mine more than an instructor. I'll leave my personal comments about him for another thread.

Also, if anybody here is aware of any authentic Kenpo schools in the Las Vegas area, please let me know.

Thank you for including me!

Raven Storm
    Welcome to KenpoTalk! You'll find tons of useful stuff here, and LOTS of friendly folks who are always willing to help! (of course, some of us stumble over ourselves trying to help too much ).

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    Just a follow up thought. Your Sifu McKinney might have been like Walter Tanamoto. Mr. Tanamoto learned all 22 of the accepted Tracy kata, and did them on tape for his Black Belt thesis. Tracy's still sells the tape as a training reference. He also has disappeared from the face of the earth.

It's wierd. I've found a million sites with a million family trees, and Mr. McKinney's not on a single one of them... but Al Farnsworth is, who trained with me under McKinney.

I'm sure he was for real, because there were many seminars at our school with a lot of black belts. I remember Steve Labounty working with me once and demonstrating some techniques, and I had to change my pants afterward. I'd never seen anyone so fast...he scared the hell out of me! I think Larry Tatum showed up once also.

Thanks

Welcome to KT. There are alot of first generation students here, and I am sure they would be able to answer many of your questions.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Welcome. This is a good site here. You can actually have a conversation here, unlike one of the other sites.

Thanks

I met a guy named Brian who trained with some guys out of a boxing gym in Vegas.

I can probably get his info if you still haven't found a place.

It's not Tracy kenpo though. I don't know Al Farnsworth, so I don't know what he taught.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Welcome back to the arts and to the site. There is a fellow who teaches kenpo on Nellis AFB (at least he did a few summers ago) that could be some help... unfortunately, I can't remember his name

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I am looking to find out if cliff McKinney is still alive. I took lessons in early 70s due to his short term marriage to my mother Doris demarest. He taught me so much about camping and karate. I just want to thank him.
    sumdumguy likes this.

Thanks

Welcome back!!!

Bunny
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links