Thread: thedan

Thanks

Default thedan

Hello. My name is Dan (aka "The Dan").

I'm comeing back to Kenpo and the martial arts after an extended illness. Not sure exactly what path my training will take yet, but I am sure it will include American Kenpo. It's where I started, what I love, and what everything else I've done comes back to.

Looking forward to talking with you all!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Default Re: thedan

Welcome to the site. Enjoy!
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Welcome Dan, and good luck with your training.

Thanks

Nice to meet you and have fun on the site
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to the site, and welcome back to Kenpo! Glad you're feeling better. Enjoy and train well!

Peace,

Donna

Thanks

welcome to KenpoTalk, Dan!!

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Welcome.

Glad you are feeling well enough to train.

Thanks

Thanks, all!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Welcome Dan!
    Hope you can come here and share your ongoing experience of getting back in the saddle. It's something a great many of us have done, having had surgery or illness.......or a multitude of other things that impeded us for a time. Common. If we can offer any advice or encouragement...that'd be Great!

Who's your instructor? Do you have a school in your area you can attend?

I look forward to reading your posts!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    Welcome Dan!
    Hope you can come here and share your ongoing experience of getting back in the saddle. ... If we can offer any advice or encouragement...that'd be Great!
    Well, first off, the condition is still with me. But I'm learning to manage it. One of the things I'm learning to deal with is constant dizziness. Right now I'm reviewing and learning to move again. Encouragement and experience are allways welcome and appreciated.

Who's your instructor? Do you have a school in your area you can attend?
    No instructor or school at presesnt. And the nearest AK school is well over 120 miles away. But I'll deal with those problems in their own time. Right now I'm enjoying getting back into the basics and working out with misters Slobodnick, Witkowski and Jaholkolski (I build training dummies and name them after Pollacks I've known- with the utmost respect for the Poles, of course!).

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Glad you're with us Dan Also that you're managing your condition. Looking forward to reading your postings and any questions, just ask

~Tess

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: thedan

Howdy from Texas, Dan! Welcome to KT & I hope you enjoy the boards.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

welcome Dan

Thanks

Again, thanks for the welcomes. I look forward to your insights.

Thanks

Well, if Bob ("The Big Cheese") can post a belated greeting, I suppose I can add to mine to answer some questions that have come up.

First, my nom de plum, "thedan." There are several Hispanics where I work, and they gave me the name. I can be a little confrontational, and have never been really tolerant of stupidity- and I work for the State of Washington (temporarily, now, as I've told them I'm on a two year plan to go back into buisiness for myself). Any way, gov't jobs provide a lot of opportunity to not tolerate stupidity, and when I tee-off on some self important butt-wipe, they call me "The Daaaan!" and shake their heads. It sort of stuck. So, there it is, my sobriquet and how I aquired it. Could be worse, I suppose. William the Conqueror was known as William the Bastard until years after the conquest.

My rank: none. I do Kenpo because I love it, not for recognition. I respect those who do earn rank as they've put in the time and effort and met the qualifications. I have not met those qualifications, and will not wear/claim rank that I do not think I'm entitled to. It's been offered, but I have in all cases declined because I do not believe I meet the necessary standards. Maybe I'm a hard-headed butt (been told that before), but those are my values and principles and I won't compromise them. Full salute to those with the rank, I only ask that I be accepted for what I am, not for something I havn't earned.

My lineage, who I train under and how I train: This won't be news to most of you, as I've said it many times here. Most of my training has been traveling to privates and working out with partners in the interim. I do American Kenpo, but I have worked with a wide variety of systems and several schools. I choose to live in a rural area, and the closest AK school is well over 120 miles away. Further, the AK in this entire region (and the vast majority of other systems as well) has declined to the point that I would not attend if the schools were right across the street from my house. So, I essentially train alone, working out with other stylists and constantly on the search for partners who will seriously get into AK and work with me. I have several dummies and assorted equipment to work with between partners (that is to say, most of the time).

The largest part of my formal training was under Mr. Speakmans line, with instructors under Mr. Sepulveda and Mr. Hurst. I was with them a while after the split as well. I started AK with someone who had Traeys and EPAK, and Wing Chun. Before that, I'd done some CQC and sporadic training with other formal MA systems, but nothing seriouse or regular. I cut my teeth on "Bruce Tegners Complete Book of Self Defense" in the late sixties. Only been seriously training AK for about 12 yrs. Probably 8-9 what I'd call really seriouse. A little more if you include down time and sporadic training.

Right now, I have a private lesson set up later this morning with an Aiki/Jiujitsu/Modern Arnis instructor about 30 mi. away. I'm also working with another school here that most of you would call a McDojo. He caters to mom and the kids, promotes too quickly, and has junior instructors that aren't even close to needing to shave. But, the school does teach the kids discipline and gives them leadership skills, and he encourages them to continue on to other systems and round out their martial skills. It's a good place for them to start. I find value there because the instructor has been through some of what I face with medical problems. His cervical spine was crushed in a motorcycle accident, so we work out a lot of the more painful moves together to find ways to make it work.

I've also said this before, but it bears repeating; I'm always open to correction by those knowlegable, and to alternate views and ideas from the intelligent. That includes most of the people on this forum. I may argue my case with you, but I've changed several of the things I do because of those discussions here. And some of this is from people at about my level (junior/intermediate) of understanding, not just from seniors. If I argue, it is usually because I respect you enough to engage in discussion, and I want to know what you know so I can consider your method or view. If you take it personal, please take it as a compliment.

One other point. Right now, due to health problems, I couldn't whip your grandmother unless I got her before she takes her meds. My training regimine is pretty lightweight. I'm not doing this to be a bad-ass, either. It is just what I can do to keep active and work on ballance, coordination, etc. I can force myself to do Kenpo when I really don't have it in me to do anything but sit and stare at the cieling. Is it worth it for that? You Bet!

So, there you are, for those who wondered. That is who I am, how I train. What I know I leave to you to decide.

Thanks to those who've asked, in PM's and e-mails. None were malicouse, by the way- just seem to be curiouse, which is understandable. (And it wasn't a blizzard, either. Just a few, but I thought it warranted a reply. Also, I do not want to present myself as being more than I am here.)

Respects,

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (07-02-2007),Richard Finn (07-02-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Welcome back to training.

It's a great feeling when you find a Martial Art that you love and always find a way back to.

I've had students who took from a few months to a year or so, to take care of things, but they came back.

And they came back with an enthusiasm that was infectious.

As far as rank goes, you are not alone in your feelings in that regard.

That's why in my humble opinion one should never forget that "the person makes the belt (rank), not vice-versa".

Good luck,
    Frank Garza
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It's thinking of yourself, less.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome Dan,
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links