Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Rarity for me to be on these forums

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default A Rarity for me to be on these forums

Hello everyone: It is a rarity that I cruise any of these forums but one of my instructor's claim this is one of the best forums so here I am. My name is Sam Kuoha and I have a nickname as the Iceman from years ago. I have been in the arts for a short 56 years thus far and still have allot more to learn. I took the mantle of Professor Chow's System after his death in 1987 (despite my relunctance) and have been getting allot of flack from people since then. To be honest, I don't care as I have been dedicated to Professor Chow and his system, of which I am the caretaker, when he was alive and even after his death and none others can say the same.

Here is a question for you all. I have done allot in my life and have allot of hobbies that stemmed from my training as a martial artists, such as shooting guns, training protection dogs and many other things and I would like to know whether any others have gone beyond their comfort zone to develop themselves in other ares of life by using what they have gained as a martial artists? What have you done and how have the arts helped you?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Iceman For This Useful Post:

Brother John (03-09-2007),Carol (03-09-2007),Dianhsuhe (03-10-2007),LngDrnkOfSilence (03-10-2007),Martin Seck (03-09-2007),sifuroy (03-09-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: A Rarity for me to be on these forums

Welcome to KT and a great question.

After teaching the martial arts for several years I now teach technologies for a really large company.

Getting comfortable in front of people helped me to get the job I have today.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Brother John (03-09-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Welcome to KenpoTalk
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT!

As for your question...I can't say that studying martial arts has driven me to pursue other related hobbies, but I can say with certainty that the skills I've developed in martial arts have aided me in the development of skills in other areas.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: A Rarity for me to be on these forums

Studying martial arts, I believe has been a tremendous, positive influence in my life. It helped me build confidence in myself, and belief that I can accomplish a goal if I set my mind to it. Also, teaching certainly helped with confidence in standing up and speaking in front of a group of people.

This has definitely helped me build my career as a technology consultant, as this often requires one to do presentations in front of large audiences, where you have to portray confidence and come accross as a knowledgeable speaker.

Like you, I too got into learning about weapons; asside from MA weapons, firearms, and have really worked on developing my marksmanship skills and an good understanding of the many variables involved.

Anyway, I think that MA in general is such an awesome positive influence, that I got my boys interested at a young age, and they are both very seriously involved now. They're both at a Purple level at this time. I even got my wife to get into it, after all these years, and she's really having fun with it.

Welcome to KenpoTalk!

Gene.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

So far, I am just way too obsessed with Martial Arts.

However my Teacher hs in teh last year or so become very infatuated with pistol shooting and "defensive tactics", in fact he just returned from his second weekend and "Frontsight" in Vegas. So now we get to do gun defense techniques for a few weeks LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Here is a question for you all.
    I would like to know whether any others have gone beyond their comfort zone to develop themselves in other ares of life by using what they have gained as a martial artists? What have you done and how have the arts helped you?
    Hello Mr. Kuoha
    It's an honor to have you here on Kenpo Talk sir. Welcome!

I'd have to say that the martial arts have helped me in many ways that one might not expect if they'd not gone through similar experiences.

1st and foremost: It got me to reading books. When I was young I was a real outdoors person. I was constantly climbing trees, swiming in one of the many ponds near my home, building forts, fishing and my favorite...practicing my martial arts outdoors. My father was a school teacher and worried about my academic progress. He thought I should read more than I was. (...which was zero...) Then one day he discovered that there were such things as martial arts magazines!!! He knew that I was a young martial arts NUT who said that he wanted to make his living by teaching martial arts (which has been my goal since I was 8 or 9). So w/in a few weeks I had my first subscription to EVERY martial arts magazine that my father came across. Inisde Kung-Fu, Black Belt, Inside Karate, MA Training...etc. He then discovered that there were books written about martial arts, martial arts history-training-philosophy...etc. So he started buying them up too. Thing was, most of these things were written on a reading level beyond my ability...but I WANTED to read them so very badly that I TORE into them with dictionary in hand. I digested them at a steady pace for Years. Still do to be honest, though I now know to take much of what they say with a good dose of salt. I ended up getting into action adventure books, beginning with "Shogun"...Eric VanLustbader's "NINJA" series...etc. I then gained a profound interest in martial arts history, leading to an interest in oriental culture and history. I think that this had a lot to do with my later interest in occidental philosophy.....leading to my college major of Psychology. I became hooked on reading and learning. I have my loving and resourceful father and martial arts publications to thank for it!!

Other things: Yoga. I had a martial arts instructor who mentioned one day in class that he couldn't think of anything that'd be better for a martial artist to supplement his training with than Yoga. So I sought out books and videos on it, later taking classes. It's enriched my life....yet I originally got into it just to try to be a better martial artist.

Likewise I got into weight training when I was young in order to become a better martial artist. My father LOVED this move because there were many magazines and books that he could get me on this subject and I fell in love with it as well. Now BodyBuilding is another hobby of mine that enriches my life.

Along a more profound vein, I'm a correctional officer working with teenage gang-members. In my line of work there is a good dose of violence and even more than that....just the ever present threat of violence. Many people stress out and fall out in my line of work due to one or both of these factors, but to me they don't end up playing that big of a roll in my work experience because of the confidence I've gained through my martial arts training. My first American Kenpo instructor (when I was a child) passed along a paraphrased statement that Mr. Parker used to say; "Respect everyone, Fear NO one!"..and it is one of my motto's at work. When I act and respond to the boys at work and deal with their hostility...yet I respect them without giving into their intimidation and antagonization....I can stand back and recognize their actions for what they are......acts...........based in fear and sometimes in pain. Then my second motto comes into play, one I gleaned from scripture and my Christian upbringing: "Whatsoever you do unto the least of these my brethren, you have done unto me."
    So the confidence and serenity that the martial arts have given me, as well as a profound code of conduct that Mr. Parker passed along, sets me free to respond to the boys I deal with through compassion and discipline, courage and respect. That alone sets me apart in my field.

Last but not least, my martial arts life lead to me marrying the most beautiful and wonderful woman in the world!
    No kidding.
    From the beginning she told me that she liked my attitude (which I've always considered a martial arts-derived attitude), my confidence (LARGELY due to martial arts), my interest in reading and learning (see above ) and the fact that she knew I could protect her should the need ever arise...that I made her feel safe. (which, alone....is worth all the sweat and blood spilt over the years)

...oh yeah! My young son and daughter now BOTH want to be martial artists and share the lifestyle with me. What could make a martial arts dad happier?
    Mr. Kuoha..I know you Know that joy!

Thank you for the opportunity to share Mr. Kuoha!!!
    ALOHA, and God Bless!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Welcome sir!

Martial arts has helped me immensely in other areas of my life. I have done things and made decisions that I would have never had the courage to do without some of the lessons I've learned in MA. In addition, the confidence and other things I have gained have helped me quite a bit in my job as a fire captain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSteinUSA View Post
    Like you, I too got into learning about weapons; asside from MA weapons, firearms, and have really worked on developing my marksmanship skills and an good understanding of the many variables involved
    How are your marksmanship skills outside of the petting zoo?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Well, I could tell you, but then ...

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Well, when I first became a law enforcement officer for the City of San Diego, I had until then never shot a gun or a rifle, unless you count BB guns in Hawaii. I was actually afraid of the pistol (.38 cal revolvers at that time) and soon learned that I certainly enjoyed shooting. Out of 64 people that came out of my academy, I was the only one who had never shot a gun before yet was the only one to compete and receive a perfect score in combat shooting and also shotgun shooting. It got me off from doing the 10 mile runs up the mountain for a week. I continued with the talents that I had learned and actually shooting about 500 rounds 4 times a week. I met someone who, believe it or not taught me to shoot clay pidgins out of the air with a combat .45 auto. He would hit about 60-70% of his targets which was awesome. He taught me for quite a while, (until he was convicted of attempted murder and was sent to prison-right wing activists) nearly 3 years to where I could actually hit about 30% of the clay pidgins. In fact if you know a Sensei Joe Yahashi (big Samoan Kenpo Instructor) he will vouch for me hitting a clay pidgin (same one, shot twice) out of the air. He was flabergasted, along with everyone that was there including me. Good chance on the 1st shot, totally lucky on the second, but I never told or let on that. Simply put, I had great eye-hand coordination. Gee, I wonder where that came from. Unfortunately guns have been my hobby for some time now which I have a small armory with over a million and a half rounds of ammo. I collect them and enjoy going out shooting once in a while, but haven't done that since I took over the Chinese Kara-Ho System. I have gotten into being in the outdoors though learning how to hunt from a sharpshooter student/instructor from originally Cody, Wyoming, now residing in Spokane, Sensei Robert Shepard. Having a strong base of schools in these areas, I have gone hunting with a few of them. I also got into bow hunting and again the eye-hand coordination comes in handy. In Colorado I shot 2 bucks with the bow on my 1st bow hunt and after learning to shoot a bow with only a 30 minute lesson. One was taken from 40 yards out and the other was at 70 yards. At this same hunt, one of the other guys was not able to get his buck, even if he is a seasoned hunter so after he shot at a huge buck from 25 yards and missed, I took a shot while he ran up the hill, hitting him on the antlers, while on the run at about 65-75 yards. Didn't take him though as he was just knocked down for a second but everyone thought it was one heck of a shot.

I have tons of other hobbies to include training protection dogs that don't have too much courage in the first place and making them super controlled protective.
    I enjoy cooking and designing various different types of food recipes to include all my own sauces.
    I enjoy designing landscape and maybe someday I will send you some photos of my Hawaiian landscape that has already made 3 newspaper features and an international magazine with 2 more to follow and even HGTV has contacted us to put this place on their network.
    I enjoy visiting with my children and my 13 grandchildren in Utah and Idaho and of course one here in San Diego.
    I love the oldies days of which I lived and especially the old cars and so I have a couple of them to cruise and enter into shows around in. I have a "23 Ford Model T with a supercharged 327 producing over 500 HP and a Muscle Car, '67 Dodge 440 with a big block, wish I had a hemi. I just sold a '34 Ford sedan hot rod, '63 Austin Healey and a '64 and a half Ford Mustang. Looking for a '57 Chevy Conv. 2 dr right now. Best investment one can make.
    Take care.
    I also love the film business, acting (though not a very good one like my daughter), doing creative fight scenes, stunt coordinating and recently invested in an Australian Film Company and now am producing films.

Well, now that I spilled all the beans...what else can I do?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (03-10-2007),sifuroy (03-14-2007)

Thanks

Welcome to Kenpotalk
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Well, when I first became a law enforcement officer for the City of San Diego, I had until then never shot a gun or a rifle, unless you count BB guns in Hawaii. I was actually afraid of the pistol (.38 cal revolvers at that time) and soon learned that I certainly enjoyed shooting. Out of 64 people that came out of my academy, I was the only one who had never shot a gun before yet was the only one to compete and receive a perfect score in combat shooting and also shotgun shooting. It got me off from doing the 10 mile runs up the mountain for a week. I continued with the talents that I had learned and actually shooting about 500 rounds 4 times a week. I met someone who, believe it or not taught me to shoot clay pidgins out of the air with a combat .45 auto. He would hit about 60-70% of his targets which was awesome. He taught me for quite a while, (until he was convicted of attempted murder and was sent to prison-right wing activists) nearly 3 years to where I could actually hit about 30% of the clay pidgins. In fact if you know a Sensei Joe Yahashi (big Samoan Kenpo Instructor) he will vouch for me hitting a clay pidgin (same one, shot twice) out of the air. He was flabergasted, along with everyone that was there including me. Good chance on the 1st shot, totally lucky on the second, but I never told or let on that. Simply put, I had great eye-hand coordination. Gee, I wonder where that came from. Unfortunately guns have been my hobby for some time now which I have a small armory with over a million and a half rounds of ammo. I collect them and enjoy going out shooting once in a while, but haven't done that since I took over the Chinese Kara-Ho System. I have gotten into being in the outdoors though learning how to hunt from a sharpshooter student/instructor from originally Cody, Wyoming, now residing in Spokane, Sensei Robert Shepard. Having a strong base of schools in these areas, I have gone hunting with a few of them. I also got into bow hunting and again the eye-hand coordination comes in handy. In Colorado I shot 2 bucks with the bow on my 1st bow hunt and after learning to shoot a bow with only a 30 minute lesson. One was taken from 40 yards out and the other was at 70 yards. At this same hunt, one of the other guys was not able to get his buck, even if he is a seasoned hunter so after he shot at a huge buck from 25 yards and missed, I took a shot while he ran up the hill, hitting him on the antlers, while on the run at about 65-75 yards. Didn't take him though as he was just knocked down for a second but everyone thought it was one heck of a shot.

I have tons of other hobbies to include training protection dogs that don't have too much courage in the first place and making them super controlled protective.
    I enjoy cooking and designing various different types of food recipes to include all my own sauces.
    I enjoy designing landscape and maybe someday I will send you some photos of my Hawaiian landscape that has already made 3 newspaper features and an international magazine with 2 more to follow and even HGTV has contacted us to put this place on their network.
    I enjoy visiting with my children and my 13 grandchildren in Utah and Idaho and of course one here in San Diego.
    I love the oldies days of which I lived and especially the old cars and so I have a couple of them to cruise and enter into shows around in. I have a "23 Ford Model T with a supercharged 327 producing over 500 HP and a Muscle Car, '67 Dodge 440 with a big block, wish I had a hemi. I just sold a '34 Ford sedan hot rod, '63 Austin Healey and a '64 and a half Ford Mustang. Looking for a '57 Chevy Conv. 2 dr right now. Best investment one can make.
    Take care.
    I also love the film business, acting (though not a very good one like my daughter), doing creative fight scenes, stunt coordinating and recently invested in an Australian Film Company and now am producing films.

Well, now that I spilled all the beans...what else can I do?
    GSteinUSA and I study at the same school. I was giving him a hard time. Although I've never hunted, I was pretty darned good marksman when I was in Boy Scouts. That was a long time ago...

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

Welcome! I'm glad you joined this community of like minded intelligent conversationinsts and martial artists.

To answer your question, the mental atributes and warrior spirit gained from training has forged a tempered will and action orientation that keeps me moving and fighting and making things happen.

That is one of the benefits I've gained. Also, it's so much fun that getting even better is no trouble at all!

Good question and good post.

It's good to remember that full fledged 3 dimensional humans are at the other end of the computer screen!

Respectfully,

Juan M. Mercado

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to kenpotalk sir.
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

Thanks

Very nice to have you here. Welcome to KT.

I have always been interested in Martial Arts, but until a couple years ago, I never had opportunity to learn. I am very new to Kenpo. But, my interests are guns/knives, hunting/fishing, law enforcement, horses, computers and kids. Kenpo helps me keep my sanity.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

Welcome to KT, the best darn kenpo forum on the net. Yee-haw!
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

Hello Grandmaster!

It is a honor to have you on Kenpotalk! This is the most enjoyable martial Arts forum I have come across which is why I call it home. Let me see...including you, that makes 2 Kara-Ho folks on here!

We should go shooting some time, I know I must be pretty rusty! I did shoot a perfect score with the AR-15 in El Centro, we had set up a sequence (at night) where you had to run to the patrol car, get the shotgun out of the rack, knock down 5 metal targets, dis-assemble the shotgun throw it back ion the car then go to the back of the car, drop down and crawl (I shoulder-rolled) to another post where we drew our service weapon (H&K-45) shot from several positions then finally grabbed the AR-15 and shot.

It was a blast! Our Sgt. had a hard time taking the shotgun apart and completing pretty much anything... I ended up with one of the best combined times and scores which rubbed a couple of the Part-time Swat guys the wrong way--- LOL

I will see you tomorrow Grandmaster!

S Jamey
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Welcome sir! I look forward to your contributions here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links