Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John La Tourrette

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default John La Tourrette

>I'm the mod for the meet and greet section. If you haven't yet, please >drop in that area and say hello. Tell us where you're from, who you train >with and how long you've been a Kenpo Addict.

Jan 11, 2007
    sent to Kenpotalk.com/formum/newreply
    Thank you Amy.

My I am John La Tourrette and I started in Ed Parker Kenpo back in 1970, right after getting out of the Army Security Agency as a Translator of the Korean Language, and a cryptographer for North Korean intercept.

When I started Kenpo karate it was after already training in the martial arts for 20 years, doing things like boxing, wrestling, Kodokan (Kano) style Judo, Okazaki Juijitsu (AJJF), Taekwon-do's Chi Do Kwan, Chin Mu Kwan & Kuk Mu Kwan. It's funny but my first instructor in Kenpo, David Day, later became one of my students.

When I ETS'ed from the service I went back to college and in 1973 received a BA degree with 2 majors and two minors. The majors were General Humanities and Spanish, the minors were Psychology and 2ndary Education.

In 1973 I did go to work for Tracy's Kenpo Karate in Portland OR, and in Gresham Or. I like Al Tracy. A fantastic mind inside of that head of his. One of my trainers at that time was Jim Mitchell (now the founder of the World Kenpo Karate Association).

In 1974 I moved to Boise ID and opened up my first professional studio.

In 1975 Jim Mitchell got me in with Ed Parker and with Parker's organization.

Because I was in business I went back to college, Boise State University, and studied Business Management, Marketing and Sales. I learned much about making money and sales. So I made money.

In 1980 I retired.

Why did I retire? Because I was tired of the 80 hr weeks, I had enough money to retire, and I had a secondary source of income, my books on martial arts which I started to write in 1977.

Why did I write my first book?

Because after turning in my 4th dan belt ranking thesis to Ed Parker, he told me, "John, it's NOT a thesis, it's a book! Get it published!" Ed Parker demanded that I publish it.

And that's how my first book, "Mental Training of a Warrior" came to be.

I also wrote "Secrets of Kenpo Karate", and then for my thesis for 5th dan under Parker I wrote "The Master's Kicking Guide".

Ed Parker wrote the prefaces to both "Mental Training of a Warrior" and to "The Master's Kicking Guide". Both books can still be found on the internet, even first edition copies. Photos of Ed and I, and his written prefaces.

I was promoted to 5th dan by Ed Parker on Oct. 21, 1981. Some of the people that were there were Skip Hancock, Sandy Sandoval, Rod Boslau, Matt Sterling & Jim Harrison.

I also gave one of the biggest Ed Parker seminars that was ever held, and it was in Boise ID at the Red Lion. There were 192 attendees. Parker loved it!

So, this quickee write up about my history in the martial arts and in Kenpo Karate only goes up to Oct. 21,1981 when I received my Go Dan.

Everything stated above is easily verified through certification, photographs, and written works.

And that was just the start of a fantastic kenpo karate journey.

I am glad to be a new member of this forum. Thanks to Rich Hale for letting me know about it, and letting me know that I was one of the topics brought up.

I did find that slander interesting. And I would love to know the real names and addresses of those that said what they said.

If anyone is interested in the truth in what has happened since 1981, let me know. Even though I've been virtually retired (except for a small private school because I love training) for 9 years, it seems there is some guy out their lying about me and some of his lies have gotten spread to this forum.

I'll be 63 years old in a few months and Ed Parker Kenpo Karate, Al Tracy Kenpo Karate, along with Jim Mitchell World Kenpo have been some of the best things that have occured in my life.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ph.D. Sports Psychology Columbia Pacific University 1987, 10 years prior to when they lost their state-of-California accredition.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

AstralProtector (03-22-2007),GSteinUSA (03-20-2007),Minder (03-15-2007),sifuroy (05-03-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Default Re: Hello I'm John M. La Tourrette & several people have asked me to join

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ph.D. Sports Psychology Columbia Pacific University 1987, 10 years prior to when they lost their state-of-California accredition.
    Welcome to KT, Mr. Latourette. I'm also a psych doc, as well as a Chiro. My personal fascination in kenpo + psych has been the relationship between mind and body. I spent much of the 80's apprenticed to some of the top guys in NLP, and some of Milton Ericksons disciples. I have heard I ought to give your works a read. Additionally, a student of Richard Bandlers said I should say Hi if ever we met, but that was in 85-86-ish.

I'm glad you chose to come on board DESPITE the thread. The more minds we can get here, the better.

Looking forward to your input,

Dave.

PS -- Thanks again, Rich.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-05-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Hello I'm John M. La Tourrette & several people have asked me to join

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post

And that's how my first book, "Mental Training of a Warrior" came to be.

Ed Parker wrote the prefaces to both "Mental Training of a Warrior" and to "The Master's Kicking Guide". Both books can still be found on the internet, even first edition copies. Photos of Ed and I, and his written prefaces.

If anyone is interested in the truth in what has happened since 1981, let me know. Even though I've been virtually retired (except for a small private school because I love training) for 9 years, it seems there is some guy out their lying about me and some of his lies have gotten spread to this forum.

I'll be 63 years old in a few months and Ed Parker Kenpo Karate, Al Tracy Kenpo Karate, along with Jim Mitchell World Kenpo have been some of the best things that have occured in my life.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    It's great to have another of the senior kenpo people here. I have a well thumbed copy of your first book. I found it to be full of great info when I forst bought it many years ago and I still pull it off the shelf to reread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to execkenpo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Hi; new here

Greetings and salutations! Welcome to KT! I really look forward to your contributions and posts.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: John LaTourrette

Hi John,

I moved this to a new thread, since you're a new person saying hello.

I seem to have left out an R in your name. Sorry about that.

Welcome though. Love to hear what you have to say.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: John LaTourette

A big welcome to the Speed Man, we are glad to have you here sir.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome Sir
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

14. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerkarate For This Useful Post:

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Mr. LaTourette,

Welcome to Kenpotalk. I am glad that you have chosen to come on KenpoTalk and speak for your self. That is the best solution that could happen. I was not happy seeing that discussion about you continue for so long on KT. I saw no point in it.

Please stay with KenpoTalk as I feel you have a lot of great information you could post. As far as I know it is the best forum to post your views and
    also help others with your vast knowledge. I have never posted on a forum before KenpoTalk. You do get the chance to voice your opinion. They even let me talk and I am one of the "Old Ones" Everyone gets a chance to speak out.

Again you are most welcome to KenpoTalk.

I Am Most Respectfullly,
    sifuroy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome to our little corner of the Kempo/Kenpo world. I look forward to learning from your posts!
    The above is just my opinion.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Mr. LaTourette,

Welcome to the ranks of KT... and thank you for whatever contributions you may make here in the future...

The more Kenpoists of your caliber that are available to share knowledge... and allow their brains to be picked... the better for all Kenpoists...

Thank you, Sir!

Respectfully...

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew
    Andrew M. Goodwin - Student of the arts
    Middletown, DE

Blue Belt in Kenpo (5/12)
    9th Kyu in Budo Taijutsu (5/12)
    2nd Brown in TSD (8/98)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LngDrnkOfSilence For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome Sir!!
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kenpo0324 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome, sir! Glad to have you aboard!

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome to KT. Looking forward to hearing from your experiences and time in the arts.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome Aboard!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackcatbonz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow! Welcome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings Doc!

Welcome back into the fray. Even though you never really left.

I'm sure you'll be able to have some fun here.

Juan M. Mercado

32. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome. Glad to have you as a part of KT.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ronin6 For This Useful Post:

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: John La Tourrette

Welcome to KT!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to NickName99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Welcome to KT, Mr. Latourette. I'm also a psych doc, as well as a Chiro. My personal fascination in kenpo + psych has been the relationship between mind and body. I spent much of the 80's apprenticed to some of the top guys in NLP, and some of Milton Ericksons disciples. I have heard I ought to give your works a read. Additionally, a student of Richard Bandlers said I should say Hi if ever we met, but that was in 85-86-ish.

I'm glad you chose to come on board DESPITE the thread. The more minds we can get here, the better.
    .................................................. .................................................

Thank you. Glad to be here.
    I've known Richard Bandler for years now. I got started in NLP about 1980. In fact it was the modeling process from NLP that gave me the awareness to develop the Speed Model.
    I've written much about that process else where.
    Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

38. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Minder (03-15-2007)

Thanks

>It's great to have another of the senior kenpo people here.

Thank you. I am "senior" and I still move real good. The Chinese saying is, "the used doorstep never rots". The human body and mind are similar in that aspect. Use it or lose it.

>I have a well thumbed copy of your first book. I found it to be full of great >info when I forst bought it many years ago and I still pull it off the shelf to >reread.

Writting that book, "Mental Training of a Warrior" was a big step in my own Kenpo development that really got me focused.

The book was hard to write, the first time. You see I wrote 2 mental trainings of a warrior. The first one felt bad to me. So I analized those feelings and noticed I was just parroting what I'd learned for the 27 years prior to writing it.

So I trashed that one.

The book was real easy to write the second time.

The second time I wrote it from my gut, from my own experiences. It was a soul developer. Ed Parker was a resource that was necessary for that book's development.

The last book I wrote (1988) was the same for me, a soul developer. It was "Secrets of Speed Hitting, Speed Fighting". Many loved it! Many hated it.

Why the difference?

Because of their unlaying personality profiles and processes for getting along in the world being either the same as mine, or very different than mine.

I wrote it from a Wood Element perspective. Aggressive and let's do it right.

Since that time I decided NOT to write more books.

Why did I decide that? Because books are the farthest modality removed from actual experience. They really don't help much. Fun to read but there are better ways to learn.

So my wife (she's the smart one in my family) talked me into doing videos.

So we came out with videos and manuals explaining what Master Keys were on the videos.

A very successful method of teaching, much better than books.
    It still is not a good as fighting range and the contact of another person's weapons and his energies.

One-on-one is still the best way.

Then all the other ways can complement the experiences of reality.

Great Being here.
    Thank you.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

40. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Minder (03-15-2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links