Thread: Michigan ??

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    West Bloomfield Township, Michigan, United States
    Thanks

Default Michigan ??

Hello all, Justin is my name and I am originally from Illinois but somehow landed in Lansing, Michigan. I've been here about a year and I cannot find anyone doing Kenpo nearby. So I have had to work with Combat Hapkido and a few other styles around. It has been quite awhile since I have actually been in a Kenpo school. What was that technique extension I learned...umm...ahhh...So that's the short story. If you know anything about the late Mike Sanders 5th Dan(Sterling,IL) and Bujin Kenpo I would love to talk with you. I already contacted Lee Wedlake and he told me what all he could. I have a lead that his instructor was from the Salt Lake City area but is now nowhere to be found. Hit me up for anything, I'm always up for a good exchange of ideas,thoughts, or techniques.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Michigan ??

Hi Justin,

I am in London, Ontario so perhaps we could hook up sometime for some Kenpo. Are you in EPAK and if so, what is your rank?

Take care, and I hope you enjoy my book.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Michigan ??

Hi Justin--welcome to KenpoTalk, & I hope you're enjoying the forums. By the way, did you get to meet with Mr. Seabrook (or anyone else) for some Kenpo?

Take care,
    Gin-Gin
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Michigan ??

Hello all, this took awhile. I was learning this forum when I posted I guess. I am still in Michigan(originally from IL) but finally got fed up with Lansing, MI. Heading closer to Detroit, specifically Farmington Hills, MI. I found a few Tracy studios and maybe an EPAK school. I have found it very difficult going back to Kenpo after a loooong break. I have done so much since then and I am finding it difficult to recapture the passion I had. In the past few years I have really getting back to basics and I am not sure I have the zest for Kenpo anymore. It seems like a lots of...well..stuff. After training in Kung fu, Hapkido, JKD, Krav Maga, Systema other Kempo systems and many more systems for years and really going back to the history of the system-confusing and so much, well, politics. The schools I have been to have lots of fluff...take your money give you some kickboxing stuff, throw in a few techniques. I can do pretty much all the "stuff" at home or in the gym. I want content, study the self defenses and forms as they are suppose to be taught. Learn the concepts and ideas. Actually apply the techniques in class. The Tae Bo and kickboxing can be done elswhere and not on my time. I have a gym membership for the other stuff. Please help me come to my senses!

Thanks

Default Re: Michigan ??

Hi Justin. Welcome to KT. I am was raised in Battle Creek, MI. Been in AZ for nine years now. I hope you find the right place to train. Sorry I can't be of any help with that. Happy posting!
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I believe that there is an epak school in toledo somewhere. Geographically, I don't know how close farmington hills is to toledo but I don't think it's far.

You might have better luck asking on martialtalk.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Kelly Perkins and her husband own and operate a school in Garden City Michigain called Guardian Martial Arts.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: hey brazilusa

hey justin i am in st.thomas ont not far from london and come from lee wedlakes lineage and know of mike sanders. lee holds him in very high regard, if you are in michigan look up chris malgeri (jkd) very good at what he does or arnis check out rich parson's you can find him on martial talk).
    if in ontario give me a call at 519-631-8090
    later
    Jason Arnold
    Parker/Planas Lineage
    Presas/Hartman Arnis
    Hartsell/Irish JKD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brazilusa View Post
    I want content, study the self defenses and forms as they are suppose to be taught. Learn the concepts and ideas. Actually apply the techniques in class.
    And how were they "suppose to be taught"?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Don't take me wrong. I just mean that some schools teach less of the actual content. Self defense techniques,forms,application of the forms and techniques,comcepts and ideas. They often teach a kickboxing and fitness class. One hour of fluff and 15 minutes of Kenpo or other system. I already spend time at the gym working out and pay for it. I then pay for a class and do the same thing.

Thanks

It's just that I'm somewhat familiar with three of the kenpo schools in Michigan and in all cases, they do private lessons, where if you want to do just kata, or just techniques your money does the talking.

Group classes can have many different themes, naturally, to reach to a wider audience. I personally enjoy the circuit style group classes that also reinforce the basics again and again.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Shouldn't the circuit style classes be something you practice all the time anyway? I spend quite a bit of time outside the class working out at a gym too. I understand if your going for the cash. More fluff, less stuff. I guess I am used to the old days of my training. Learn the system at class and you better have been working on it or else you would not be ready for the next class.

Thanks

Fair points, and of course everyone has to find what works best for them. I was trying to differentiate between private lessons and group classes. I pay for private lessons, and do in them what I want to do, since it's my money, the group classes are just a bonus.

Naturally I'd say people should be practicing at home. However, many people don't have someone at home to adequetly hold a kick shield or thai pads for them. One advantage of a certain style of group class is that one can work on their basics, under supervision of an instructor to fine tune some of your mistakes, and yet still make real contact in a dynamic environment.

What did you want a group class to be? Technique lines? Joint manipulation? No kicking or punching or elbows...? You didn't quantify what the "old days" of your training contained.

Personally, I go to Kenpo group classes as well as privates, and can use the studio during other open times, so I don't have to pay another membership for a gym.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Everything is just my opinion as far as this topic. I personally have never come across a school that teaches as you say. If we are talking about the same school possibly. I am not familiar with the Tracy business system. I have only experience with one Tracy school in Illinois and they do not operate like that, nor has any school I have ever been to in the USA or abroad. That is only my experience. Private lessons were for getting more time with an instructor, catching up, or maybe students who wanted more than the 2-3 classes a week training. I personally did that. The specific school I visited had a system in place that sounds like what you are talking about.

In a broader sense-things have gone so fitness center/gym type training. I trained in a dojo, dojang or kwoon, etc. Not a gym? Unless we were working on classes at YMCA or something. I am not saying it is wrong, just not the traditional training I have had a hard time finding these days. I think alot has changed since the UFC and MMA joined the ranks. Partially they brought some of the changes. I was at the first UFC, kind of a bandwagon thing for some.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I've been reading your posts back and forth for the last few days. My take on the matter... and take it for what it's worth. If I pay for kenpo classes then kenpo training is what I would expect. If you look at some of the archieves on MartialTalk, specifically in the Tae Kwon Do section I've stated my case many times. I don't agree with people warming up by running miles upon miles. Kicking and punching bags for a big portion of the time then getting 10 minutes of kenpo training. Again, my idea is, if you want conditioning join a gym. Obviously there is a certain amount you need at the studio. I go to a kenpo studio to learn kenpo. Not how much I can run or how long, or that I can do 500 push ups or crunches or jumping jacks. The time on the mat is spent working techniques or forms on and in front of people. At home you just can't do that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brazilusa View Post
    I personally have never come across a school that teaches as you say. If we are talking about the same school possibly. I am not familiar with the Tracy business system. I have only experience with one Tracy school in Illinois and they do not operate like that, nor has any school I have ever been to in the USA or abroad.
    My fault, I misunderstood your earlier post when you said you had found a few Tracy schools.

While it may not be everything you are looking for, you might give Brad a call at 248-427-0434 - he runs a small Kenpo studio in Farmington, at leat it's close, and he teaches primarily privates.
    Last edited by J-squared; 12-26-2006 at 01:44 PM. Reason: edited for typos

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I have a friend who is a 3rd dan in the Tracy System and I am friends with a gentleman in Illinois teaching it. Here in Michigan I visited a school near my place in Farmington Hills. That is where I learned of the privates/group class system. Pay for private lessons and attend all the group classes you want. My problem was- the private class once a week actually teaches you Kenpo, the group classes are generally basics...kicking,punching,drills, etc. Not so much into actual Kenpo. $100 for all the workouts you want and 1 private lesson in Kenpo a week....yikes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Check out this school.

http://www.guardianmartialarts.com/
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I would definitely recommend this school if you are near Detroit...

http://www.kenpo-shootfighting.com/
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I pretty well agree with Farnsworth on this one. Join a gym if working out is what you want to do.
    We run a small school and after a basic warmup we break off into Groups. We try and put an instructor with each level. Therefore everyone gets pretty much what they need. Some times the whole class does Kata together. When we teach Kata it is pretty much one on one. Also one on one with techniques. It does take a while to have enough instructors to go around. We have had some of our instructors for over 25 years. It took us a long time to have the luxury of enough good instructors. Now it is paying off with better instruction for our students.

That is our way of trying to bring better instruction to our students.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links