Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's DangeRuss!

Thanks

Default It's DangeRuss!

And now, to all those of you who have been waiting for the official day of his arrival, I would now proudly like to announce the registering of DangeRuss!

Yes, that's right; he has arrived in his full splendor.

He is now awaiting the rose petals to be dropped before his path so he can make his way to this section and regale us with stories of his wonderfulness.

So now, without further adieu, I'd like to present.......Russ.

Please welcome him with all appropriate fanfare.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Default Re: It's DangeRuss!

Oh, by the way, he's not anyone you probably know and in fact I don't know him either, but his myspace amused me, so I invited him here.

Do welcome him. He does good kenpo.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Errr...ummm...*...Tap, tap, tap...* Is this thing on? I'd like to thank the inimitable Amy for the fine, introduction. I'm thankin' ya ever so much and will be sure to offer up my opinions (whether wanted or not) on a variety of topics. As to "Who the HECK am I?" Well....just a fellow bumbler along the Martial Pathway, trying dilligently to more or less follow the directions I was given...(don't ask me about the voices I received them from!)...and negotiate my way to the end of the path, or at least to make it a bit further, while I am still able to walk the walk. My dubious Kenpo background, is primarily in Sam Pai Kenpo, under GM Joe Dimmick, Mr Michael Persons and Darwin Jones. I have continuously practiced Kenpoo for 35 plus years, so have achieved at least the minimal level of competitence that anyone spending that much time is bound to achieve. (Whatever that means) I also have backgrounds in Animal Gun-fu systems and have dabbled in FMA since the early 80's. I know our particular branch of the Kenpo Family isn't overly well known or reprisented on most forums of this nature, so will gladly answer any questions about our branch of the family tree that I am able.

Thanks again, Amy (my new Kenpo Sister) and to everyone here at KenpoTalk...glad to be a member.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Welcome to KenpoTalk.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Hi Russ,
    Glad to have you here. Welcome to KT. Look forward to reading your posts.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

Welcome Russ.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Welcome Russ!

Tell us more about Sam Pai Kenpo! What makes it unique? How does it compare with the rest of the kenpo family? What led you to study that particular style? With your 35 years of experience looking back, what words of wisdom would you cast our way in a few sentences?

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

Welcome Welcome
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Welcome aboard!

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Welcome.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome.
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Welcome. I just replied to your second post over on the Pressure Point thread. Don't let me scare you off. Also, I think I checked your profile before I responded but I didn't see anything. I see you have some info here in your post. Can you add that to your profile? You should be able to do it via the User CP link near the top left.

I'll go check mine again to see what is in it.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Welcome sir!

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Belated Welcome Russ! Glad to see I'm not the only geezer over here.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Russ, Welcome to KT.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome one and all. As to 'What the HECK is Sam Pai' ?

Grand Master of Sam Pai Kenpo and later 3 Shields Kenpo-Joseph L. Dimmick (12-26-1936/Present)
    In 1956 in a converted Aikido school Dimmick began his study of Kenpo with Ed Parker. I believe Chuck Sullivan was also a student at this school way back then. Soon it was merged into the Pasadena school and Dimmick joined the others who had started that same year but in Pasadena. He studied with Parker for over 16 years.
    Dimmick received his Shodan in Sep 1962. He then began studying two other forms of martial arts at the same time. They were a combination of Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut from Ted Lai of the California Kung Fu Karate Association. On 6-10-1965 Dimmick received a Black Belt in Kung Fu and in that same year received a Black Belt in Chito Ryu Karate. Still studying with Parker, Dimmick opened his own school in Downey, CA in late 1965.
    In 1972 Dimmick left the Parker organization after 16 years and formed the California Sam Pai Kenpo Association. Sam Pai refers to the 3 Shields, which are the basis for our fighting defense. Sam Pai is basically Kenpo with elements of Hung Gar/Choy Li Fut and Chito Ryu.
    Over the years, Dimmick created 16 katas and revised 4 Parker forms in the same vein of constant change. Dimmick like Parker was always looking for a better, more efficient way of self-defense. So much so that when Dimmick changed the name of the system in 2000 from Sam Pai to 3 Shields Kenpo, the center character in the 3 Shields Patch is “Change”. I began studying Sam Pai Kenpo in Huntington Beach, CA in 1973 and have actively continued to study and practice continuously since. (Boy am I tired!)

We share many techniques and a few kata with the EPAK system, albeit with some of our own interpretations. The kata we have in commen would be, Finger Set, Long 2, Short 3, Form 4, Form 5, Twin Shadows (aka Book Set or 2-man set). Mr Dimmick completely redesigned Short 1, 2, Long form 1 and 3, as well as adding his own Thesis kata as a requirement. (Since he has dispensed with all of these and now teaches a series of "Fighting Warrior Forms, but I adhere to the 'Vintage Sam Pai circa 1970's that I was taught) We have what I think to be a very natural learning progression in our kata. I'll steal an outline from my own page to explain. I have also added my own background in Animal Gun-fu and a variety of FMA to my particular flavor of Kenpo.

<li class="style1">Short Form 1 - A basic Anthology of Blocks and Stances, promotes synchronicity of upper/lower body <li class="style1">Finger Set - An Anthology of Finger Techniques, promotes attention to detail <li class="style1">Short form 2 - Developes basic Self Defense, stringing basic techniques together <li class="style1">Long Form 1 - Introduces the Chinese influence, flowing, circular movements, spins, leaps <li class="style1">Long Form 2 - Promotes examination of 'Lateral Biasing" or Stong side/Weak side <li class="style1">Short Form 3 - Promotes power and the true combat element of kata <li class="style1">Long Form 3 - Developes flow, continuity and begins to work on stamina (See video below) <li class="style1">Form 4 - Developes Breathing, Lateral Biasing, Mental and Physical Endurance and Concentration <li class="style1">Twin Shadow Set - Basic Two Man Set - Developes Give-Take Flow and Trust <li class="style1">Returning Shadow Set - Advanced 2 MAn set - Developes Action/Reaction into Combat mode <li class="style1">Creed Form - Mr Dimmick's Blackbelt Thesis Form - Explores the Roots of Sam Pai Kenpo <li class="style1">Dance of the Dragon - My Form promotes Fluid Speed, Self Expression and Speed/Flow Governance (See Video below) <li class="style1">Form 5 - Developes the ability to react from awkward positions, lateral biasing <li class="style1">White Lotus 1 (sword) <li class="style1">White Lotus 2 (Sword) <li class="style1">White Lotus 3 (Sword) <li class="style1">White Lotus 4 (Sword) <li class="style1">Singing Dragon (Sword) <li class="style1">Modern Arnis Anyos 1-3 (Single Cane) <li class="style1">Compositional Arnis Bow Set # 1 <li class="style1">Compositional Arnis Bow Set # 2

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Alright..please kick me now, for not 'Previewing" my post before posting it. (Don'tcha hate Noobs?)

*..sheepish smirk..*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

This is serious
    We can make you delirious
    You should have a healthy fear of us
    Cause to much of us is dangerous
    So dangerous we dangerous
    My Flipmode squad is dangerous
    So dangerous we dangerous
    My whole entire unit is dangerous

-Busta Rhymes

Greetings and Salutations! Welcome!

"It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Ummm...*...furrows brow in concentration...*

If you're gonna cause trouble...
    and you're gonna make a fuss...
    then you're gonna hafta deal with...
    (yup...you guessed it)...DangeRuss

Step over Busta there's a new sherrif in town.

*..lopsided smirk..*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links