Thread: Hello

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Hello

Hi,

I feel lucky I found your forums while searching the internet. I want to study Kempo again, and am having a difficult time finding a school in my area.

When I was 15, I enrolled at the Westmont Academy of Self Defense. The school was run by Sensi Romier, and I was taught by Sensi Lewis. I studied for two years. A few years later while driving down Cass avenue I saw the school was closed.

I believe the style I was taught was Kosho Shorei Kempo. Our crest was the octogon, with three circles inside. One circle had a right hand fist held in the left hand to symbolize the mind controlling the body. Another circle had the two hands forming a triangle, this symbolized to only look for the good in people. The last symbol was two hands praying. Our uniform was black.

Before I started Kempo, I was slightly overweight and not flexible at all. I was the kid in gym class who was picked last in most sports. After a year of Kempo, I was flexible enough to kick over my head. I became better at other sports. I felt like a new better person. I lost weight also, I felt healthy and happy.

This was all back in 1991 and 1992.

I would like to start training again. Kempo brought me peace and happiness. It cleared the clutter in my mind, it gave me something good to focus on.

I can not find a Kempo school in my area. I don't want to knock other forms of martial arts, but they do not offer what I am looking for. I stopped by a Taekwondo school, but they do not teach what I want to learn. Kempo class started with meditation, to clear the mind and bring peace, and to prepare to study without any outside worries. The Taekwondo class did not start with meditation. When I was alone with the teacher, I asked him a question. I requested that he show me one punch, in whatever form he wanted, and to explain that punch to me, how he did it and why in that manner. I expected to see him get in a stance, and spend 2 or 3 minutes describing the proper movement of the arm with good reasoning. Instead, he looked at me like I was crazy for making the request. The true reason I asked was I remembered a few things about punches Kempo taught me. For example, never lock the elbow because a block could break the arm, where a bent elbow can not be hurt. Or he could have said something about punching with a speed of 7 and retracting with a speed of 10, so the defender will not predict the speed of the arm. I wanted the teacher to tell me something to prove to me he was teaching more than how to scream "Iiiiiieeeeeeee!!!". I left dissapointed that he was unwilling to show anything except allowing me to watch class. And during the class, he did not explain to his students any theory or reasoning.

The Westmont Academy of Self Defense also taught Shiatsu, a pressure point massage. We learned to paint Japanese characters. It was more than just a Kempo school, we learned a philosophy of peace and health.

Today I am looking to find Kempo school. I've looked at two different martial art schools in my area, and they are nothing like Kempo. I don't want Judo or throwing. I want to be a student of self defense, or movement, and of health.

Does anyone know if Sensi Romier still teaches? Does he have any students which continue teaching his form. The one great thing I believe Romier did was to explain everything he was teaching. He did not just say how to do something, but told us why it was good to do it his way. I remember walking into his private office once, and seeing all the books and video's he had on every form of martial arts. He was a student of all forms, and he wanted to teach us the best of what others had to offer. Some of our students formed their own Jujitsu classes.

I would like to relearn Kempo. I wish I did not stop when I was 17. Now I am over 30 years old and would like to regain the confidence and happiness I recieved from studying Kempo.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Re: Hello

Welcome aboard, glad you found us!

Do you mind if I ask where you are from? That may help in pinpointing the folks you are asking about. Congrats to you for wanting to come back in to training.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Welcome aboard, glad you found us!

Do you mind if I ask where you are from? That may help in pinpointing the folks you are asking about. Congrats to you for wanting to come back in to training.
    I am 20-25 miles west of Chicago. The school I trained at was in Westmont, Illinois, but they closed many years ago. It is a shame because the instructors were very good. They not only taught how to do something, they explained why. I would like to find a school like that one.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT. Good luck in your pursuit to once again study Kenpo.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

PS: If you looking for Kosho schools try to following:

Bruce Juchnik Hanshi related links:
    http://www.collectivesociety.com/
    http://www.skski.net/

Thomas Mitose related links:
    http://www.kosho-ryu.com/

Kosho Ryu International:
    http://www.koshoryu.com/

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Ronin, thanks for those links!

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I have a question. What is the difference between Kosho Ryu and Kosho Shorei Kempo?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Welcome to KenpoTalk
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I think the difference has to do with Kosho Shorei is that it has 8 parts:

They are Energy Cultivation, Healing Arts, Yoga, Escaping Arts, Philosophy, Folding Arts (martial arts of throwing, joint-locking and pinning), Meditation, and War Arts (martial arts intended to win through swift execution of devastating technique, but only damage the attacker to the degree necessary based on the context of the situation). This was taken from the following website (http://www.oldpinetree.com/Dojo/index.htm)

I know there are a few Kosho persons online. Possibly opening a new Thread will answer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo91 View Post
    I have a question. What is the difference between Kosho Ryu and Kosho Shorei Kempo?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thanks Ronin6, I found the thread you started.

Thanks

Welcome aboard......feel free to ask away.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Hello:

Stumbled across your post while searching for Westmont, IL. My old Sifu came from Westmont and was also a student of Sensei Roemer. The only school that I know in the area that still has ties to the Westmont school is one run by Dale Hestermann. As a matter of fact, depending upon how old you are, you may even know Sifu Hestermann or my old Sifu, Steve Hill.

Here is the link:

http://www.jujutsumartialarts.cmasdirect.com/

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Good luck in your quest for a new Kenpo school. I am sure you will find one. Someone on here will come up with something. Stay with us and ask any questions you may have.

I am most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

Thanks

Hi, glad to have you here. Welcome to KT!
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KenpoTalk.
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks