Thread: Happy to be a member

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Happy to be a member

Hello All

First off I want to thank the Admin for helping me with my Reg/member problem.
    I have spent a little time reading through some of the threads here and I like the friendly atmosphere this forum has. Normaly I would not have searched for a place like this because my previous instructor always put down all other forms of martial arts, and because I followed the by-laws of our dojo. Well, we have since parted ways and I am very glad we did because now I am doing things and
    searcing for new ideas and expanding my knowledge of kenpo much more than I would have done if I were still there.

A little history about me. I began training in TKD when I was 12, and when I was 15 I left that and began learning White Crain Kung Fu. I trained in that art until I was 18 and then I started boxing, boy was hard not to use kicks when I started that. When I was around 22 I kinda just went my own way and just practiced at home. Quite a few years passed and I decided to get back in to training again but I didn't want to take TKD or Kung Fu so I began searching for something different and found a chinese kenpo school.

I went there to see what I would be learning if I joined and I saw that they were very physical. And down to earth and practical in their fighting technique so I decided to train there. After training for a few years I attained the rank of blue belt although I have learned all the way up to brown/black.
    I love kenpo and I train hard all the time on my own, unfortunately in my area there are only two kenpo schools. I won't go back to where I used to train and the other school seems to be just a bunch of flash. But other than that I still like to train with what I have learned even thought I do it alone now.

Empty Hand

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Happy to be a member

Welcome to the site. You will really enjoy yourself here.
    There is alot of great Information here....
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Hi Empty Hand,

Pleased to meet you!!
    I like the name, except when it comes to paying the bill
    or,
    I used to be "China Hand" but I broke too easily
    Welcome and I apologize for the poor attempt at humor

What have I learned from this???

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you both for the welcome, and Kenpo-Sloth I liked what you posted, it was funny

Empty Hand

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum, why dont you tell us a bit about yourself?
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Hand
    I went there to see what I would be learning if I joined and I saw that they were very physical. And down to earth and practical in their fighting technique so I decided to train there. After training for a few years I attained the rank of blue belt although I have learned all the way up to brown/black.
    I love kenpo and I train hard all the time on my own, unfortunately in my area there are only two kenpo schools. I won't go back to where I used to train and the other school seems to be just a bunch of flash. But other than that I still like to train with what I have learned even thought I do it alone now.

Empty Hand
    Nice to meet you 'empty hand'.
    I have a couple of questions:
    #1: Where are you located?? there may be more Kenpo near you than you think.
    #2: Why did you leave your Kenpo School?
    #3: Why do you consider the other Kenpo School to be "a bunch of flash"??
    It might be better than you think

Your Brother
    John

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    Nice to meet you 'empty hand'.
    I have a couple of questions:
    #1: Where are you located?? there may be more Kenpo near you than you think.
    #2: Why did you leave your Kenpo School?
    #3: Why do you consider the other Kenpo School to be "a bunch of flash"??
    It might be better than you think

Your Brother
    John
    Hello Brother John,

#1. Hmmm, you ask some pretty good questions. I don't really want to say where I am located for personal reasons, but I have done an extensive search for others schools in my area and if there are any other schools around they must not be listed.

#2. Now don't get me wrong, wht I was learning was very good and I didn't have a problem with that. I really loved that. The problem started when I told my teacher I wanted to open my own school when i got my black belt, then it was if he couldn't do enough to find ways to disrespect me in front of my fellow students, even going as far as getting some of the other upper belts to get overly rough with me as if we were really fighting and trying to really hurt me. Now I don't want to make my self seem invincable but I can take some pretty extreme physical punishment, now I won't lie and say it never hurt, but I didn't let them know that. I thought maybe this is a test to see if I was going to stick it out, but I was wrong because when I wet back to my next class they were suprised to see me there after the physical beating I took at the last class. So I was told to leave. There is a lot more to this but I don't want to go into all the details I have probably said to much already.

#3. Maybe the other school might be better than I think, but it just seemed there was a lot of wasted movement in there technique, but then maybe because their style is different there is a reason. I guess I would have to give it a try before I pass judgement.

Honestly, I believe what happened is for the best because I can pursue my own goals and I am working on something now to gain recognition and get my black belt.

One more thing, I am not an aggresive person and I never have been and that was another problem, I got tired of being told I needed to be more aggresive. I beleive in self defense, But I do not beleive in starting fights.
    Well there you have it. That is not all of the story but I beleive it sums it up.

Empty Hand

Thanks

Welcome!
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,155 Posts

Some school owners have the idea that if you opened your own school you would suddenly be the competition. Others take a more progresive direction, and are glad to help share the dream. Sounds like your old school was the former.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hello,

I'm going to try this again. I haven't been here in quite a while. Got tired of some of the attitudes here (Martialtalk) and it wasn't worth posting into an endless loop of arguments, and I prolly had a little bit to do with it. Sooooo, I am avoiding the political boards and I'll be here to enjoy myself and to further my education in Kenpo. If anyone sees me in the political boards, smack me upside the head to remind me..*G

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Welcom Ender, perhaps you will find that KenpoTalk is a bit more focused on martial arts (namely Kem(n)po).

Your user name; does it come from the Ender's Game sci-fi series by Orson Scott Card?
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Happy to be a member

Hi Empty Hand & Ender! Hope you enjoy KenpoTalk.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks

Default EmptyHand

Hey man-
    I've known a few schools that acted like that. As though a person that shows aspirations to teach is a threat! It's too bad. Maybe, if they'd taken you under their wing instead of beating you with it...you could have been a REAL assett to the teaching staff of the school or maybe lead a branch school...which would only be an extention of and therefore growth of the home school.

Too bad when politics and ego ruin an otherwise good martial arts school.

Find something else, maybe investigate the other school more closely...etc. But keep at it. Don't let your aspiration die!!
    DO NOT

Your Brother
    John

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    Welcom Ender, perhaps you will find that KenpoTalk is a bit more focused on martial arts (namely Kem(n)po).

Your user name; does it come from the Ender's Game sci-fi series by Orson Scott Card?
    *nods...exactly!...give the man a brass cigar!*G
    "Some people are alive only because it's illegal to shoot them"

Thanks

Very good book...
    read it a couple of years ago.

Your Bro.
    John

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: EmptyHand

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    Hey man-
    I've known a few schools that acted like that. As though a person that shows aspirations to teach is a threat! It's too bad. Maybe, if they'd taken you under their wing instead of beating you with it...you could have been a REAL assett to the teaching staff of the school or maybe lead a branch school...which would only be an extention of and therefore growth of the home school.

Too bad when politics and ego ruin an otherwise good martial arts school.

Find something else, maybe investigate the other school more closely...etc. But keep at it. Don't let your aspiration die!!
    DO NOT

Your Brother
    John
    Thanks to everyone who has shown their understanding, I really do appreciate that. And Brother John It was my intension to do just exactly what you described. But that is water under the bridge now, and I haven't given up. I have let this experience make me stronger, which is what I try to do with everything that happens good or bad by turning it around to my favor.
    Even though I have been forbidden to use their name and/or teach their style I consider that a blessing in disguise because now I am free to make necessary changes and create my own style which I have already began doing. I will teach because that is something I have always wanted to do.

Empty Hand

Thanks

Default Re: EmptyHand

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Hand
    I will teach because that is something I have always wanted to do.
    Empty Hand
    G.M. Paul Mills has a pretty cool saying:
    "Keep your dreams alive and they will do the same for you."
    I like that.

Keep on Keepin on bro.

Your Brother
    John

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to the boards! May you train hard, and train safe!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links