Thread: Hello Out There

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Hello Out There

Hello. I'm new to the Kenpo world (EPKS). I've been involved in martial arts for 26 years and for the past 16 have been with Aikido. The transition from Aikido to Kenpo has been interesting. Hello to all.

Regards

Chris
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Hello Out There

Nice to meet ya and welcome!! Tell us more about yourself and enjoy the forum here- tons of good info. and people!!
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

Thanks

Hi Chris!

Great to have you aboard! You don't waste any time saying hello. I like that. I didn't even get a chance to send you a welcome yet.

Where are you training and with who?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. I'm training in Webster MA, with Mr. Bill Gaudette @ the Webster Institute of Karate. It's an EPKS school part of the New England Chinese Karate Federation. So far I've loved everything I've learned. I've been a part of the school since about April of this year. The biggest thing to get over is the transition from Aikido to Kenpo. I'm having a hard time being a bit more aggressive then with Aikido.
    As for me, I've been involved with MA since I was four. Because of my job I had the great opportunity to travel to Japan and train at Aikikai Hombu Dojo. There I was able to train under First and Second Doshu (O'Sensei's Son and Grandson). It was quite an experience.
    I came to Kenpo after numerous elbow injuries made training in Aikido impossible.
    I was more then reluctant to train in Kenpo. I grew up in Providence a few blocks from Mr. Pesare's Kenpo School and with my father being a correctional officer in the prison he kept me away from Kenpo. I guess he thought they had a bad name for some reason or another. It is not my opinion, as I had no knowledge of MA at that young of an age. As I grew in MA I met students of Mr. Pesare and Mr. Cerio. I really never had any issues with them but for some reason the thoughts of my father resonated in my head to stay away.
    After the injuries to my elbow made it impossible to do the minor things they surgically repaired the tendon in my elbow and I stayed out of MA for about a year. I got the itch but I wanted to feel as though I would learn something and not be spinning my wheels. I tried different forms of Kung Fu, but they were just McDojo's.
    While cleaning out my home office I found a card from Mr. Gaudette and decided to research Kenpo. My only experience first hand was with Hanchi Bruce Juchnik. I was in college at the time and he was there for a seminar over the summer. He was very open and let me attend the seminar and speak with me when he could. After that experience I always said I would explore Kenpo if I found that I was no longer in a position to train in Aikido. Back to the card, I a school a few times prior to going to Mr. Gaudette's school. I liked the first place as it was in the lineage of Mr. Ceiro and James Mitose. At the urging of my wife I visited Mr. Gaudettes School and I knew that was the place for me from the fist time I walked through the doors.
    I feel that Kenpo has filled the holes I felt that I found in Aikido and I also feel that the locks and throws of Aikido mixed with Mr. Parkers Kenpo would compliment each other.
    OK, sorry I babbled. Thanks for all the kind welcomes.

Warm Regards

Chris

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Welcome.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Welcome to KenpoTalk.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronin6
    Hello. I'm new to the Kenpo world (EPKS). I've been involved in martial arts for 26 years and for the past 16 have been with Aikido. The transition from Aikido to Kenpo has been interesting. Hello to all.

Regards

Chris
    Welcome Welcome. I know a little about Aikido, could you tell us what was the easiest and most difficult part of the transition between the two?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Well, from what I've learned so far they both use blending. It also appears as though both do the most with the least. They seem to work with what is given to you from the attacker. Sometimes I do notice that it seems as though the attackers progress is stopped.
    It was explained to me by Toyoda Shihan that you have two options with dealing with an attack. If walking along and confronted by an attacker your option is to deal with the opponent and continue on your way (omote) or deal with that attack and turn back the other way (ura). Aikidoka will understand that this is meant to deal with the attack in motion and blend with the attack then continue on your way or continue back from you path of origin. It is believed that attacker is giving you his energy and it is up to you to guide that energy. For me EPKS is similar. Since I am such a newbie and have only been introduced to the first nine techniques I am really not able to fully judge the EPKS system. However, I feel that Mr. Parkers theory on economy of motion and how the techniques are not overkill but more realistic as though an opponent may block the first strike but the probability of blocking the remaining may be nearly impossible. I feel that the dichotomy of understanding Kinesiology, Anatomy and Physics helps to make things clear in the self-defense techniques. It seems that even though the attacker may block the first attack the subsequent strikes have a place as you can clearly see that natural body reaction leads to the placement of follow-up strikes. In Aikido we practice Kaeshi-waza (reversal techniques). This is similar in that you must have a connection with the attacker and the attacker with you to feel the energy and go with it or redirect the energy in the form of a reversal.
    I have no idea if that answered your question. I think I may have went off on a tangent. I can clarify if you like.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Welcome from the North Shore! Good to have another Kenpoist from the Bay State aboard here

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KenpoTalk.
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT. I spent some time training in Aikido, (nowhere near 16 years though) I found that my biggest problem was (and still is) slipping into a homini (sp) stance instead of a neutral bow. Ooops.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Hamni stances are different. I think that was a good point. I have had issues with the transition there from the triangular stance to the more natural stances of Kenpo. That must sound crazy that I just worte that...
    I also seem to have issues with not trying locks or throws when sparring. I over think things and end up complicating things when we do bag work or spar (light / easy no pads). I believe I try to stay too much in the system. I think it's difficult trying to retrain your mind

Thanks

welcome
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links