Thread: Hello ...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Hello ...

My name is Bob. Currently I train with a USSD school in San Diego. My rank, Nidan. I also trained previously with Fred Villari's system, achieving Nidan in 1989. Several year lapsed between systems, taking a break from the arts beginning in 1992. Attaining the rank of Nidan in the USSD art is really not a far stretch, being that the material is all the same as my previous art.

I realize that these forums have very little good to say about Villari and/or USSD, but I can say I have had pretty positive experiences with both. Whether you agree or disagree with the arts of these two, you must admit they have had an impact on the arts. I see way too many comments pointing at pricing, McDojo, etc., etc., it's disappointing. Without these system, 10s of thousands of Americans would not have had any exposure to martial arts, myself included. Pricing? Well if you don't feel you are receiving value for your dollar, move on. I have enjoyed the training, I enjoy the people, I enjoy the convenience. This is America, the home of capitalism ... good or bad.

Enough for now ... see you in the forums!

Thanks

Default Re: Hello ...

Quote Originally Posted by 14 Kempo
    My name is Bob. Currently I train with a USSD school in San Diego. My rank, Nidan. I also trained previously with Fred Villari's system, achieving Nidan in 1989. Several year lapsed between systems, taking a break from the arts beginning in 1992. Attaining the rank of Nidan in the USSD art is really not a far stretch, being that the material is all the same as my previous art.

I realize that these forums have very little good to say about Villari and/or USSD, but I can say I have had pretty positive experiences with both. Whether you agree or disagree with the arts of these two, you must admit they have had an impact on the arts. I see way too many comments pointing at pricing, McDojo, etc., etc., it's disappointing. Without these system, 10s of thousands of Americans would not have had any exposure to martial arts, myself included. Pricing? Well if you don't feel you are receiving value for your dollar, move on. I have enjoyed the training, I enjoy the people, I enjoy the convenience. This is America, the home of capitalism ... good or bad.

An interesteing post.. to be honest I have heard nothing of Villari or the USSD good or bad.. and as long as you had a good experiance then very cool. More importantly would be the question of do you feel what you ahve learned bennifits you and those arround you reguardless of the cost? .. I am not sure i woudl ever call martial arts conviant... granted one school may be more conviant than others.. distance, fees, etc.. but in of itself... not really.. not to mention you should remember that capitalism is not conviant.. it is neither conviant nor inconviant.. it is simply a system of financial organization within a political framework.

as for the exposure of 10s of thousands of people to martial arts... well exposure of the martial arts is only as good as it's source. Also a system that cares only for financial gain and nothing for the art itself can easily instill a false sence of security at best and immoral use at worst...

thoughts?
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

Ohhh BTW... welcome to the forum...
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

welcome to kenpo talk... nice first post...

have fun here at kt.. i look foward to reading your posts...
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    An interesteing post.. to be honest I have heard nothing of Villari or the USSD good or bad.. and as long as you had a good experiance then very cool.
    I would have to second that. I am interested in hearing more about anyone's system, especially when they display a genuine passion for the arts. I don't have to agree or disagree but, I am willing to be respectful enough to listen.

And welcome to KT.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

Welcome to KT
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT....enjoy
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Greetings! I look forward to learning more about the USSD.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I have always believed that each martial art has something good to bring to the table. We all benifit from sharing our art and knowledge.

Salute
    Heart is the differance between those who attempt and those who achieve.

Train hard.... pain is weakness leaving the body.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 14 Kempo View Post
    My name is Bob. Currently I train with a USSD school in San Diego.
    To reply to my own quote ... LOL ... I have now left USSD and I'm free-lancing, looking for a place to settle. I think I've found it, but I'll wait until I'm sure to report.

Thanks for your previous comments, see you out on the boards!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 14 Kempo For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (06-01-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Hi Bob, I think you'll find a lot less politicking here than at MAP. Mostly a lot fo good technical information (even for us Shaolin kempo people, some of this EPAK stuff is good LOL)

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Hey, Welcome!

Thanks

Wow, welcome back to KT!

I was in the USSD org. back in the very early 90's so we may have something to talk about!

I look forward to reading your posts and hope you have found a great Kenpo home.

James
    The above is just my opinion.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Welcome Bob. Good to have you on KenpoTalk. I am glad you had a good experience with the Villari system. I don't recall any negative posts about Them on KenpoTalk. We try to keep away from that. I am sure that your previous experience will help you in your new style. There are a lot of good people here that can help you. Look forward to your posts.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

USSD / Shaolin Chaun Fa was the first system that my body fell in love with. When I did pinans, techniques, or katas, they "felt" right. They provide a video tape (or used to) with each promotion to help learn the new material as well as show and explain each movement. They even have a great student guide to teach them as well. I earned up to Purple belt but had to stop due to transferring to a location that didn't have a USSD studio around. I'm back in area and but now have a family so I don't have the money they require. I have started studying American Kenpo through another dojo that doesn't require as much money and I'm more out of shape than what I would have cared to admit. In a nutshell I found USSD to be great and would recommend it to anyone if they have enough money for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Welcome to the site.

Look forward to your imput.

Brad

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 14 Kempo View Post

Ha-ha! Another Villari's guy. I'll be honest with you my friend, i've NEVER heard anything good about Villari's outside our schools. Other then my first instructor, the other masters I've worked with at Villari's have all been fine. Good teachers, decent people. no problems.
    I've sparred with many people of different schools, ryu's, and backgrounds, and Villari's works if you take the principals for what they are. GUIDES. Anyways... before I rant more.

nice to see a Fellow V guy, and Hello from down here in swamp land Florida.

Thanks

Hey, Bob. Glad to see you at KT. Welcome!
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links