Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By malpert
  • 1 Post By flying crane

Thread: Getting back into Karate after a 20 year vacation!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Smile Getting back into Karate after a 20 year vacation!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike and I am getting back into martial arts after a 20 year hiatus. I studied for about 8 years in Sacramento California at Kover Karate. I got the the level of first degree black belt and of course, like many, stopped. I want to use the opportunity to meet people with the same hobbies and relearn what I have lost. I am currently studying on my own at home so any suggestions of good videos, DVDs, etc. will be appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to talking with people.
    Hoggy likes this.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,483 Posts

Default Re: Getting back into Karate after a 20 year vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by malpert View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Mike and I am getting back into martial arts after a 20 year hiatus. I studied for about 8 years in Sacramento California at Kover Karate. I got the the level of first degree black belt and of course, like many, stopped. I want to use the opportunity to meet people with the same hobbies and relearn what I have lost. I am currently studying on my own at home so any suggestions of good videos, DVDs, etc. will be appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to talking with people.
    I’m in the Sacramento area. I think Kovars has several locations, in which did you train? What system do they teach?
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hey Flying Crane

I study with Dave Kovar when he had one location off of Fair Oaks Blvd. He still has a location near the triangle of Fair Oaks and Manzanita, but I study in the late 80s and early 90s. During this time I think that Dave mainly taught American Kenpo.. I think now, his school does a blended karate, but I am not sure. I learned Kenpo forms through form 8 since I made it to black belt.. actually I was one of his first group of Jr Black belts.. so I go way back. Haha. How about you? Do you training at a school or on your own?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by malpert View Post
    Hey Flying Crane

I study with Dave Kovar when he had one location off of Fair Oaks Blvd. He still has a location near the triangle of Fair Oaks and Manzanita, but I study in the late 80s and early 90s. During this time I think that Dave mainly taught American Kenpo.. I think now, his school does a blended karate, but I am not sure. I learned Kenpo forms through form 8 since I made it to black belt.. actually I was one of his first group of Jr Black belts.. so I go way back. Haha. How about you? Do you training at a school or on your own?
    Are you considering going back to that school, or looking for something different?

i trained in Tracy lineage Kenpo but it is something I’ve drifted away from in the last decade or so. I’ve actually been training in Tibetan White Crane for a couple decades and have been considering getting a training group going in a park in my area, some outdoor training during the Covid era. I trained TWC in San Francisco before I moved to Folsom about a year and a half ago. At the moment I just practice by myself, have been teaching a bit to my wife and son and sister-in-law during the Covid lockdown.
    Hoggy likes this.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Congratulations on returning!

I too just came back in after about 20 years, though I did much less than you those years ago, lol.

I really hope you enjoy the return!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RodOfDestiny For This Useful Post:

malpert (10-23-2020)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you.. I have some good utube videos I found that I might like.. Let me know

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links