Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sumdumguy

Thread: Hello from San Antonio

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Hello from San Antonio

Greetings,

I'm 32 and recently transplanted from Milwaukee, WI to San Antonio, TX. I've been fascinated by martial arts since I was little, but I've also been overweight since I was little, so other than getting to high-yellow in TKD in 4th grade and a brief stint in Shotokan Karate in my early 20s (a particularly bad point in my life,) I never really dedicated myself to one. Fast forward to about 6 months ago and I really wanted to get serious about my health and finally put conscious effort into a martial art, so naturally I had to find one. I'm usually a big sucker for tradition; my family has been doing Shotokan since my Grandfather deployed to the Pacific in WWII and I love the idea of anything "old".

I was vaguely aware of the "kenpos" from the west coast, but my impression wasn't a good one. I had seen mostly overweight guys in a colorful or even Red White and Blue Gi doing a lot of what looked to me like slapping. And, worst of all, it was NEW! Developed in America, what kind of lineage or insight could it really have? Enter "The Art of One Dojo" on YouTube run by a Kenpoist; Sensei Dan. I decided to set judgement aside and watch "The Origin of American Kenpo", then another video, and another... you get the idea. After a few months of watching, reading, etc. I had completely reversed most of my judgements on EPAK and decided to start actually finding a school. There are a few options here, not numerous, but I'm sure more than most places, and I had almost decided on going with Jeff Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 (which I'm still interested in and consider the natural evolution of American Kenpo) when i started looking more at the history and discovered that Ed Parker's teacher maintained an art that he called Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate.

Compared to EPAK or even several of the splinter-groups, Kara-Ho is tiny and has almost no internet presence. But, I found their page and to my surprise there was a Sensei listed in the San Antonio area! I fired off an email not really expecting a reply and was shocked when I got one. I've been enjoying myself and even more so now that I'm allowed to learn the actual techniques. Hopefully I'll have more to contribute soon!

Thanks everyone.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Default Re: Hello from San Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by RodOfDestiny View Post
    Greetings,

I'm 32 and recently transplanted from Milwaukee, WI to San Antonio, TX. I've been fascinated by martial arts since I was little, but I've also been overweight since I was little, so other than getting to high-yellow in TKD in 4th grade and a brief stint in Shotokan Karate in my early 20s (a particularly bad point in my life,) I never really dedicated myself to one. Fast forward to about 6 months ago and I really wanted to get serious about my health and finally put conscious effort into a martial art, so naturally I had to find one. I'm usually a big sucker for tradition; my family has been doing Shotokan since my Grandfather deployed to the Pacific in WWII and I love the idea of anything "old".

I was vaguely aware of the "kenpos" from the west coast, but my impression wasn't a good one. I had seen mostly overweight guys in a colorful or even Red White and Blue Gi doing a lot of what looked to me like slapping. And, worst of all, it was NEW! Developed in America, what kind of lineage or insight could it really have? Enter "The Art of One Dojo" on YouTube run by a Kenpoist; Sensei Dan. I decided to set judgement aside and watch "The Origin of American Kenpo", then another video, and another... you get the idea. After a few months of watching, reading, etc. I had completely reversed most of my judgements on EPAK and decided to start actually finding a school. There are a few options here, not numerous, but I'm sure more than most places, and I had almost decided on going with Jeff Speakman's Kenpo 5.0 (which I'm still interested in and consider the natural evolution of American Kenpo) when i started looking more at the history and discovered that Ed Parker's teacher maintained an art that he called Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Karate.

Compared to EPAK or even several of the splinter-groups, Kara-Ho is tiny and has almost no internet presence. But, I found their page and to my surprise there was a Sensei listed in the San Antonio area! I fired off an email not really expecting a reply and was shocked when I got one. I've been enjoying myself and even more so now that I'm allowed to learn the actual techniques. Hopefully I'll have more to contribute soon!

Thanks everyone.
    Welcome to the board and your journey in Kenpo, on tradition I will leave you with this from SGM Parker
    "Knowledge is bound when on is compelled to tradition", "Knowledge is endless when tradition is bound".
    Hoggy likes this.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

KirkS (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 632 Posts

Default Re: Hello from San Antonio

Welcome to kenpotalk
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links