Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sumdumguy

Thread: Introduction and sewing on Belt Stripes

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Introduction and sewing on Belt Stripes

Introduction:

Greetings from the Nation's Capitol. Grew up in Washington, DC, New York City (Queens & Manhattan) as well as Milano Italy. I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, American Kenpo Karate (AKKS - Jeff Speakman) and am a student under Renzo Gracie Jiujitsu lineage. I'm with Kenpo International (KI) and my lineage is now with Doreen Cogliandro (DiRenzo) and Sita Van in Boston Massachusetts . I train with Frank Vigoroux in New York City, but represent Kenpo International in DC. I'm a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) and a Firearms and Defensive tactic instructor for the US Government. I was trained in advanced firearms and defensive tactics in Fort Benning. I have a very small program in DC and teach Firearm's and defensive tactics to Military Personnel, Police Officers and civilians.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Introduction and sewing on Belt Stripes

I have had some difficulty in finding anything about sewing on rank stripes to a black belt. Does anyone have any information on the best, most durable material to use for putting the red rank stripes on ones belt and any recommended videos or websites that show how to do it properly if you have a sewing machine? I have had a very difficult time finding anything on how to properly sew stripes on to a belt and what material would be the strongest and nicest looking. Once I learn how to do this, I'm for sure making a YouTube Video on this because it seems like no one has. Or I'm just horrible at searching YouTube. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I have had some difficulty in finding anything about sewing on rank stripes to a black belt. Does anyone have any information on the best, most durable material to use for putting the red rank stripes on ones belt and any recommended videos or websites that show how to do it properly if you have a sewing machine? I have had a very difficult time finding anything on how to properly sew stripes on to a belt and what material would be the strongest and nicest looking. Once I learn how to do this, I'm for sure making a YouTube Video on this because it seems like no one has. Or I'm just horrible at searching YouTube. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    hello and Welcome! from the sounds of it you are a busy guy! you do know that you can buy ranked belts through Kataaro and others? Or, you can buy some good old fashion duck clothe at your local fabric store. I started building my own and doing others belts as gifts or for promotions years ago after much frustration with improper attachments, spacing and poor quality. I will post a video here for you in the next day or two showing the process the I use/figured out. Good Luck!!!
    jfarnsworth likes this.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    hello and Welcome! from the sounds of it you are a busy guy! you do know that you can buy ranked belts through Kataaro and others? Or, you can buy some good old fashion duck clothe at your local fabric store. I started building my own and doing others belts as gifts or for promotions years ago after much frustration with improper attachments, spacing and poor quality. I will post a video here for you in the next day or two showing the process the I use/figured out. Good Luck!!!
    Thank you so much for the advice! Greatly appreciated. I have a very high quality Japanese belt that I already bought and had embroidered with a quote I always use "Rank without knowledge is meaningless" and the four seals of Buddhism in Tibetan. So all I need to do is add some stripes to it so I can use this belt for when I teach. My sensei wants me to start testing for rank to start wearing it, so I need to add it to the belt. I have been a Kenpo Black belt for over 17 years, but never believed in testing or the need for stripes I just keep training in other systems like BJJ but Kenpo is always my core and my true system I follow. But if my chain of command wants me to do it then I must abide and wear the rank. I'm more than a 110% happy to follow what they ask of me. I love them and have nothing but the highest of respect for them. They are all absolutely amazing martial artists and salt of the earth. And Sir you have no idea how busy I am. LOL. It's non stop! It's OK, I'll have plenty of rest after I cross over and prepare to come back.
    Xavier Agnelli
    www.KenpoDC.com
    www.ImaginativePhotography.com
    Xavier@KenpoDC.com

Rank without knowledge is meaningless, Impermanence, Suffering, No Self, Nirvana
    If my art is the same 10 years after my passing, you have not done my art justice.
    Edmund K. Parker Sr.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links