Thread: any Ron Alo proteges on this site?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default any Ron Alo proteges on this site?

I'm wondering if anyone studied under Ron Alo? I was a student of his from the late 60's until about 1977. It's a pretty small lineage but there's a of kenpo people here.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,811 Times in 5,524 Posts

Default Re: any Ron Alo proteges on this site?

Quote Originally Posted by toddlw View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone studied under Ron Alo? I was a student of his from the late 60's until about 1977. It's a pretty small lineage but there's a of kenpo people here.
    I knew Ron and used to bump into him all the time at competitions. Nice guy, and unique patch. Whatever happened to him? So many guys over the years that you only had contact with at tournaments, and then tournaments died so .....
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

toddlw (3 Weeks Ago)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Well the bad news is Ron was diagnosed with leukemia in 1989 and died in '90. His wife Julie is the head of the Alo organization and I pretty sure she still has a dojo there. You know Ron trained directly from Chow so there's only a few people who can make that claim. He never went big time like Parker and the rest so there's only a few of us left in that lineage. Ron changed his curriculum in '77 and I moved over to the Kali academy under Dan Inosanto for a few years. you might have bumped into me at a tourney with an Alo patch back in the day. Won a few trophies too!

here's Julie's site about Ron: https://alokenpokarate.com/shihan-ronald-moku-alo/

plus there's a guy running a dojo under Alo system in Wyoming. https://www.facebook.com/WorlandKenpoKarate/

thanks!

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,811 Times in 5,524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toddlw View Post
    Well the bad news is Ron was diagnosed with leukemia in 1989 and died in '90. His wife Julie is the head of the Alo organization and I pretty sure she still has a dojo there. You know Ron trained directly from Chow so there's only a few people who can make that claim. He never went big time like Parker and the rest so there's only a few of us left in that lineage. Ron changed his curriculum in '77 and I moved over to the Kali academy under Dan Inosanto for a few years. you might have bumped into me at a tourney with an Alo patch back in the day. Won a few trophies too!

here's Julie's site about Ron: https://alokenpokarate.com/shihan-ronald-moku-alo/

plus there's a guy running a dojo under Alo system in Wyoming. https://www.facebook.com/WorlandKenpoKarate/

thanks!
    Wow passed away almost exactly 2 months before Mr. Parker. He was a good man. Always a kind word and very humble. I'm sure we ran in to each other. I ran the IKC for 12 years until Mr. Parker passed.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Yeah Ron was quite, soft spoken and humble for sure. But He trained me for 9 years and I can tell you he was quick and powerful when it came to the art. Not a softy when he trained you. Blood will spill. You know Chow himself died around that time too. I think about '88 or so. There was always a bit of a rivalry with Parker. But towards the end of both their lives they trained together. I think Parker advanced Ron to 7th. Ron was a nidan under Chow. He trained with Robert Trias who advanced him to 5th. I only got to nidan and then once I moved over to the Kali Academy to train with Inosanto in '77 I lost interest in belt advancement. Became a bit of a Kenpo slacker when it came to that.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links