Thread: Introduction.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Introduction.

Hello Kenpo practitioners, and hello as well to everyone else that does not fit under that label.
    I currently live in the NW Arkansas area. I am a military veteran with no formal training in any traditional form of Martial Art. This is something I hope to change one day.

While I haven't had any traditional training, I have trained extensively in MAC, or Modern Army Combatives, which is still in use today in the Army. Aside from that, I have trained in MMA for some time now, although I haven't trained for some time.

I look forward to taking part in and hopefully even inspiring some intelligent conversations about Kenpo, and maybe martial arts in general.

Look forward to meeting everyone.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CNida For This Useful Post:

jdinca (09-11-2013),Kenposoldier01 (09-18-2013),kickboxinglover (11-04-2013),KirkS (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 630 Posts

Default Re: Introduction.

Welcome to Kenpotalk
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 2,190 Posts

Welcome to KenpoTalk and thank you for your service.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Welcome to KT.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hi there! Welcome to KT and the Kenpo family. Also.. And really foremost, thank you for your service to our country. That's beyond cool. We all owe u a great deal of thanks.

What inspired you to explore Kempo? Reason I ask is I almost went for MMA due to my love of hard sparing. I chose Kempo mostly because it's more practical on the street than MMA and I don't want to compete. (no time and all that). So it made more sense to train for a street what if, than a compatition I could not(was not willing to make sacrafices to do) go to. I'm very glad I did now. I really love the evil brutality of Kempo. It makes me happy.

What sort of schools are near you? I'm a Kenpo 5.0 newb. And I am loving it like crazy. But I've discovered that all the Kenpo styles are awesome. Ya kinda can't go wrong.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

Welcome to KT.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo5.0Hawker View Post
    Hi there! Welcome to KT and the Kenpo family. Also.. And really foremost, thank you for your service to our country. That's beyond cool. We all owe u a great deal of thanks.

What inspired you to explore Kempo? Reason I ask is I almost went for MMA due to my love of hard sparing. I chose Kempo mostly because it's more practical on the street than MMA and I don't want to compete. (no time and all that). So it made more sense to train for a street what if, than a compatition I could not(was not willing to make sacrafices to do) go to. I'm very glad I did now. I really love the evil brutality of Kempo. It makes me happy.

What sort of schools are near you? I'm a Kenpo 5.0 newb. And I am loving it like crazy. But I've discovered that all the Kenpo styles are awesome. Ya kinda can't go wrong.
    I've met a handful of Kenpo practitioners in my day, two of them from my time in the military. I also have met a Kenpo practitioner at my current job.

I happen to be a member of this forum because of a friend of mine I work with. I will not go so far as to say my interest is in Kenpo alone, though I am interested in it greatly, as I am with all martial arts.

There is at least one Kenpo school in my area, and it is of the 5.0 variety. I have considered looking into it but alas, time and money constraints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CNida View Post
    I've met a handful of Kenpo practitioners in my day, two of them from my time in the military. I also have met a Kenpo practitioner at my current job.

I happen to be a member of this forum because of a friend of mine I work with. I will not go so far as to say my interest is in Kenpo alone, though I am interested in it greatly, as I am with all martial arts.

There is at least one Kenpo school in my area, and it is of the 5.0 variety. I have considered looking into it but alas, time and money constraints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    If the money allows I'd say look into that school. I'm also tight on cash but my lessons are very much worth the sacrifice. 5.0 seems very well rounded to me. In time I feel I'll be well prepared to defend myself in either a standing confrontation or one that's on the ground.

Initially my wife signed my daughter up, and after some time watching classes I pushed my life around enough so I could take classes as well. money is still tough for me. But my tuition is well spent. The 5.0 ground fighting really drew me. I could not find another system that would teach me how to handle standing and ground fights with equal dedication. Also. The brutal nature of the style appealed to me as well. I am a talker, a peacemaker. But if words fail I'd like to be able to do what's needed so I make it home to my wife and two kids. 5.0 seemed to be the system that was most likely to do that for me.

Its easily exceeded my expectations. I'm happy to say I've never visited a school that would fit my needs better. If anything. I'd say im surprised that those folks I train with are such nice and normal people. A style like this would seem to attract gangsters and thugs. Yet. I train with moms, dads and their very good kids. It's an extended family that I joined. I really dig them all. And that kinda says a lot as I'm sorta a redneck who prefers to keep to himself.

I can't promise you will like your local 5.0 school as much. But it's gotta be worth a serious visit. And no matter what you decide, I'm glad you came here and that we met.

Thanks, and may you never need your training.

Tom

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links