Thread: Usernames, RealNames?

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,155 Posts

Default Usernames, RealNames?

The question always comes up on a forum about "Real Names".

We are leaving that decision up to our members. If you wish to use an alias, nickname, or your own name, that is all fine.

In your profiles, there is an optional spot to put your name if you'd like.

While there have been problems on other boards in the past, we hope to avoid any time intensive account management here.

So, please, sign up how you like and enjoy KenpoTalk!

Thanks

Default Re: Usernames, RealNames?

I think its fine to keep it how it is for now...however if problems occur, I think it would be best to require real names.

So everyone BE GOOD, this way you don't have to be you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

We had to go that route on Martial Talk and we really hope to avoid it here if we can.

Thanks

Hi,
    If that is the case. 'Real People' are behind a made up name.
    Does that mean if someone is banned and wants to return and participate
    can they just change their name and start up again with a clean record.

I have noticed some have been banned of late and they have started on other boards and discuss the problems. (It does not matter what they said or what has happened in the past????) If they change and start a new ID will they be allowed back. It appears that the board has done a major change towards one group and away from another.

Rank and time in grade mean nothing, everyone is an expert and can contest at will?

Curious as to how it works.

Regards, Gary

Thanks

Yes, real people are behind the 'handles', however if they are banned and try to return, they will be banned again, and other action taken as needed (such as contacting the repeat offenders ISP).

What people do elsewhere is not our concern. Our concern is the actions that occur within our own family of communities.

It appears that the board has done a major change towards one group and away from another.
    What do you mean? Which "group" is being favored? Who is being slighted?

Rank and time in grade mean nothing, everyone is an expert and can contest at will?
    Rank and Time In does not give one permission to ignore rules, disrupt communication, or act as they feel like while disregarding the basic rules of mature adult discourse.

Speak clearly Gary.
    Last edited by Bob Hubbard; 12-03-2005 at 01:27 AM.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Smile Re: Usernames, RealNames?

Hi Bob,

Thanks for getting back regarding my questions. I felt that you answered them in a like fashion as to my request's.

As far as speaking clearly I believe you covered it, no further discourse needed.

Thank you. Regards,

Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer
    Hi,
    If that is the case. 'Real People' are behind a made up name.
    Does that mean if someone is banned and wants to return and participate
    can they just change their name and start up again with a clean record.
    I have noticed some have been banned of late and they have started on other boards and discuss the problems. (It does not matter what they said or what has happened in the past????) If they change and start a new ID will they be allowed back. It appears that the board has done a major change towards one group and away from another.
    Curious as to how it works.
    Regards, Gary
    I don't think that it works that way, that you can just get a new name and start all over w/out people knowing. The IP address would be one big red flag.
    But, even IF someone changes their name, their style and their behavior would also need to change...and it seldom does. If they got banned then they got banned not because of any particular group they may be a part of, but because of the way they behaved on the forum; and that doesn't change just because the handle is different.

What 'group' do you think has been favored here? Which one has been slighted? I guess I don't see what you are saying Gary.
    Rank and time in the art. They are important in Kenpo, but they aren't a license to do whatever. If anything...they should indicate a certain standard and a 'burden' to be a better example. If a high ranking person with Years in Kenpo is being rude, crass or offensive.....I'd think it would stand out all the more. That's behavior for the young and unseasoned, not the seniors.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

My experience has been that the majority of those who think they are somehow "special" and deserve to be treated "above the rules" usually have over 20 years in, and a rank higher than 5th. I have however rarely encountered that in Kenpo, but other arts not represented here.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, Ignore me or????

If it is not as apparant as it is to me and you do not want to talk about it that is fine. The less said on my part will only keep it off the record.

Maybe Hunter would like to comment, he is very expressive and I like his views, seems to be well seasoned and all that.

As for seniors and seasoned veterens, most just get tired and out of shape and are to busy to reply.

When I go to a seminar put on by someone like Rick Faye and see how he moves, or Dan Inosanto or Richard Bustillo, they are still in the game. They are very humble, they are very pointed, and one of the points they like to make are there are to many out of shape persons telling you how it ought to be done.

To many lectures and to many attacks. I talk in circles and riddles at times because the rest of you do, I admit it. Others don't. Generally my attacks are at a moderator who first attacks me rather then moderate.

Prancing and dancing is good in the ring but it does not score points. Different on a board.

If I ask a question regarding a technique someone does and they want to tell me they do it this way and that way that is fine.
    When they tell me the reason their tech, is better than mine and it becomes an arguement and gets heated it might be better to go to a different thread.

But when the first blow is thrown, that is (usually in the real world) the one who goes to jail. But if you don't get the drift then I am not going to be any clearer.

(I have said what I want to say and when the answers are as clear as the one by Bob Hubbard on certain types and groups, and what one wants on a board is a real friendly fireside chat. Funny there are some subjects that just don't lend themselves to that, if you get my drift.)

I really don't think it is necessary to over moderate the boards, but then as you get older your skin gets thicker I have found. I believe you need to keep up the discussion, let it lay or discuss it...

Now when you advertise that you want to learn and get information and gather ideas and you ban the ones who are opposing or who dominate.,
    well you are not going to be able to get the information you want.IMHO

Kenpo is sort of like religions. (when I say kenpo insert any martial art) usually the weak will go and find a corner to hide. The ones shouting fire and brimstone (seminars) are who bring the flock back (for awhile) the ones who handle the everyday affairs find the flock going somewhere else.

Administrators need to shut off their e-mail and PMs and let it all come out on the board. The Moderators need to take it to the Administrator and then they will receive their infromation (sp on purpose) and use it to best guide the conversations.

Generals don't handle the day to day problems, the Sgt does. If he can't handle it then the Lt. does. But as a general rule (pun inteded) it is handled not in front of the troops.

One of the problems one has with that is you are not running a business and in the business of forums you need activity (I would think) so now that is a different situation. Maybe deleting the out of line post is what should be done instead of deleting the poster???

Just thoughts, keep the opinions to a dull roar on me and address the thoughts. Feel free to do it pointed or round about it won't hurt my feelings. But don't lecture me I am 64 years old and I feel lectures are out of line. OK???
    I do feel the one liners need to be deleted at times but then they are a post and post's are needed, maye it would be better to have more one liners? More post's less bytes and more pay back.

It is tough running a board and I am grateful for them, for I find myself as I get older using them. Maybe I should not and train more, certainly better for body. If you get my thought.

One last thought. How many are at work stealing the time to post and the employer is the loser? Which really makes you the loser. Back slappers as a rule are back stabbers IMHO.

Now enough of this, I am going to go to the seminar I paid $250.00 for. See all the new stuff, so I can keep up with the youngsters, or pretend.

Regards, Gary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer
    Maybe deleting the out of line post is what should be done instead of deleting the poster???
    What if the poster has mas made several out of line posts? Then the problem is no longer the post but the one doing the posting. If, even after warnings/talking-to's, the user is still causing problem posts the best solution, usually, for the board as a whole is to cut the user loose.

My opinions only.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

Gary,
    I haven't the foggiest what you're trying to say there, and bablefish doesn't want to translate either.

You were banned from several sites for disrupting them and talking in circles. You've also gone back under new handles, and done the same thing.

Enough.

Enjoy the Garden.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links