Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Private Lessons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Private Lessons

Who amongst the Tracy practioners use/teach private lessons. Is it part of the regular monthly payment or an additional charge?

What benefits do you find to taking/teaching private lessons, and what are the drawbacks.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Wink Re: Private Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Who amongst the Tracy practioners use/teach private lessons. Is it part of the regular monthly payment or an additional charge?

What benefits do you find to taking/teaching private lessons, and what are the drawbacks.
    Hi Rob, I see you are a Moderator, Good choice I must say.
    I like your signature, I have been practising that for a while now. LOL

I find the Tracy organization to be the most clandestine of the arts I have tried to go visit and participate in. Might be 'That its me'(Gordon Lightfoot song).
    I have found this to be true when talking to Hanshi Bruce, about his past associations. I sure would like to see some feed back on this one.

Regards, Gary

Thanks

Default Re: Private Lessons

me too........there are a few interesting folks i think it would be fun to train with in the tracy organization.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Hello.
    I have trained in Tracys System for 3years now.
    Since the day I joined, My lessons have been private, No Extra charge.
    At our School If 1 person joins the whole family can train at No extra charge to them because its private lessons.
    We also have the option to attend the workout Classes on top of our private lesson, No Charge either
    I have only trained by private lessons, so I don't know if I have learned any faster then a person in a Class setting would.
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I use the privates. The pros are the ability to individualize the training, and cover more ground in less time. By seeing each student individually, we are able to spend that time "learning" and the group workout time "practicing." Of course there is overlap, but I don't typically need to spend alot of time on explanation in groups because we are typically doing high reps of stuff covered in private already.

Some people are shy in the beginning, privates are good for them. Privates can be scheduled to fit the needs of the student, can be conducted off-site, and need less space. For children, it minimizes the distraction of other children, and for families, it allows the family to work out together because they will not be attending groups together.

It allows the instructor/student relationship to develop, and the student has greater freedom to question than in a group setting because of the workout focus. The questioning, I find, is mutually beneficial.

The biggest drawback that I see is that many students are OK to just attend privates without ever coming to group. It slows their progress because frankly, people just don't work out on their own like they will in a class.

As far as the price, the privates are what the student pays for, the workouts are "free."
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo0324
    Hello.
    I have trained in Tracys System for 3years now.
    Since the day I joined, My lessons have been private, No Extra charge.
    At our School If 1 person joins the whole family can train at No extra charge to them because its private lessons.
    We also have the option to attend the workout Classes on top of our private lesson, No Charge either
    I have only trained by private lessons, so I don't know if I have learned any faster then a person in a Class setting would.
    You would learn faster by doing both. Attending privates only often results in your knowledge surpassing your skill.

Unless of course, you are one of the few that is disciplined enough to workout hard on your own.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

Great replies Dave. We offered the 1 private every week and 2 groups classes back in the 1988 for $65.00 a month. It had some definte benefits that you mentioned but as the school grew it was harder to get enough time slots for privates. Later we dropped the month cost to $40 a month for 3 group classes a week and an additional $25 if you wanted 2 privates a month. It worked much better for us and I found the students quality was much higher. There were more people attending teh group classes so they got to work all lots of various sizes, and the upper belts got more teaching experience that way.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

i found out that if you do private lessons you end up getting guys that start going after belts. and dont work out .
    but at the same time if you have privates in group class you can work out more or Physicalize moves. But some people wont go to the group class.

Thanks

Any more opinions about private lessons?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,168 Posts

Private lessons are part of tuition at my school. You get roughly one per month but it is possible to purchase additional lessons. Our school is in an affluent community, so many students do this. Each contract renewal includes a greater number of privates. The thought is that the higher your rank, the more you can benefit from the one on one training.

Benefits: One on one for 30 minutes gives the student personal attention that they may not get in a group class, where there is one instructor for four or five students. It's a good way for the student to find out exactly where they are and what they need to work on. It also gives them someone to follow their progress and not let them slip through the cracks. The instructors also give each other feedback about how students are doing. It really helps when planning for the next private. Currently, I think I have about 14 students assigned to me.

Downside: Parents that want their kids to get weekly privates, whether the student will benefit from it or not. It usually takes time and classwork for the student to make the corrections, advances that the instructor told them to work on in the private. Many parents just don't get this. Many times, the student isn't prepared, hasn't been working on what they were told to work on, so the private can seem to be wasted time because the student is no farther along than they were at the last lesson.

I'm up to an hour lesson a week with my teacher. I get my butt kicked for 60 minutes and drowned with detail. I love it.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Most of my school is built on group, but there are some that want privates. Not so much to move up in rank quicker, but more one-one interaction, and some, because they're behind.

It becomes an additional charge which serves me as well. I pocket the money. I do practically all the teaching, and I work my tail off, so...........
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

Thanks

I know we have some more Tracy's people on the site and they must have an opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    I use the privates. The pros are the ability to individualize the training, and cover more ground in less time. By seeing each student individually, we are able to spend that time "learning" and the group workout time "practicing." Of course there is overlap, but I don't typically need to spend alot of time on explanation in groups because we are typically doing high reps of stuff covered in private already.

Some people are shy in the beginning, privates are good for them. Privates can be scheduled to fit the needs of the student, can be conducted off-site, and need less space. For children, it minimizes the distraction of other children, and for families, it allows the family to work out together because they will not be attending groups together.

It allows the instructor/student relationship to develop, and the student has greater freedom to question than in a group setting because of the workout focus. The questioning, I find, is mutually beneficial.

The biggest drawback that I see is that many students are OK to just attend privates without ever coming to group. It slows their progress because frankly, people just don't work out on their own like they will in a class.

As far as the price, the privates are what the student pays for, the workouts are "free."
    I know this is kind of an old post but i do have a question regarding it.

Dave, do you teach kenpo as a full time job?
    If not, how much extra time does it take up scheduling privates for your students.
    Do you do this for every student?

Personally, I think it's pretty cool when an instructor is willing to throw in private classes free of charge. It probably helps to boost the students confidence and really speeds up the learning process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post

If not, how much extra time does it take up scheduling privates for your students.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool when an instructor is willing to throw in private classes free of charge. It probably helps to boost the students confidence and really speeds up the learning process.

The Tracy's business model has almost alway had some simple practices that helped them grow quite large for a long time.

• Your tuition is for the private lessons, the group classes are free

• Do not count bodies, count payments - 1 person in a family is 1 monthly payment, 4 people in a family is 1 monthly payment while the dollar amounts are different they are still each one payment

• Do not charge for belt tests, your competitor does this and it seems like a shock at every test, instead have the belt tests as part of the monthly tuition

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    The Tracy's business model has almost alway had some simple practices that helped them grow quite large for a long time.

• Do not count bodies, count payments - 1 person in a family is 1 monthly payment, 4 people in a family is 1 monthly payment while the dollar amounts are different they are still each one payment
    • Do not charge for belt tests, your competitor does this and it seems like a shock at every test, instead have the belt tests as part of the monthly tuition
    I think that one point is excellent.......that is something that would keep me coming back.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

You are mostly correct. 4 in a family is indeed one payment, but the dollar amount is the same. "One member of the family pays, the rest study at No Additional Charge."
    Dave

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post

Not anymore. I spend my days as an Industrial Hygienist, a job that really took off when those two hurricanes slammed into Louisiana last year. I was gone for 23 weeks at one time once. Well, home on weekends...

Fortunately, two of my black belts are in charge of running the day to day operations of the school. Yes, they schedule and teach privates to every student. My personal students e-mail me each week and we work out a schedule based on my workload vs. theirs. Sometimes, we train each week, and often, we have to meet and try to get in a couple of hours at once. It is tough, but I am obsessed with it, and it turns out that is contagious!

True! But, as Rob pointed out, our business model is really built around the tuition being paid for the private lessons, we throw in unlimited workouts for free.
    Dave

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Any more opinions about private lessons?
    Many years ago I taught as a full time instructor in Long Island, NY. We always followed the Tracy formula, private lesson paid groups free. Students were always taught and encouraged to workout at studio. They were welcome during studio hours.

In recent years, I teach very few students! I offer privates but concentrate more on groups. My rate is $80 (groups) monthly, privates are $30 a session. Of course, family pays as one, also I do not teach anyboby younger than 14 years old.

Privates are good for helping resolve learning issues. However I do emphasize groups to condition a person. If a student is unwilling to follow the game plan I ask them to leave or try something different.
    Dave Simmons
    Twin Dragon Kenpo Karate
    http://www.mnkenpokarate.com
    651 230-0842

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Regarding Tracy's: I orginally trained in a school and had access to the private + group training scheme. I moved to an area with no school and began privates with another instructor. I was fortunate at the time (Purple Belt) to have some very capable Black Belts around as training partners to supplement my privates.

Right now I teach the American Kenpo system. When you don't have a lot of time and want to teach more people, then it's very hard to use the Tracy's curriculum. It's funny because I started off with only a few students and it felt like private training every time we met...it's what I know. Now we have started group classes at a gymnastics centre, but I still give privates to my core four.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kenpo dreams are the sweetest.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warrior-scholar View Post
    Regarding Tracy's: I orginally trained in a school and had access to the private + group training scheme. I moved to an area with no school and began privates with another instructor. I was fortunate at the time (Purple Belt) to have some very capable Black Belts around as training partners to supplement my privates.

Right now I teach the American Kenpo system. When you don't have a lot of time and want to teach more people, then it's very hard to use the Tracy's curriculum. It's funny because I started off with only a few students and it felt like private training every time we met...it's what I know. Now we have started group classes at a gymnastics centre, but I still give privates to my core four.
    Excellent. You adapt and adjust, but find a way to keep at it!
    Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links