Thread: Favorite Yellow Belt Technique

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Default Favorite Yellow Belt Technique

What is your favorite Yellow Belt technique and why. What lessons does it teach?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Favorite Yellow Belt Technique

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    What is your favorite Yellow Belt technique and why. What lessons does it teach?
    I like Chinese Sword. So many of our future techniques will be based off of this initial movement. There are many lessons in this technique depending on the level, and I find myself going back to it to apply new stuff on a pretty regular basis, but basically, in Yellow, I teach it as an introduction to circular movement, to moving around the opponent's power, the concept of how crucial timing is to a stable base, the radial nerve, the carotid artery, moving forward into an attack vs. retreating, and sometimes a bit more depending on the student's questions.

It is not only my favorite yellow tech, it is definitely in my top 5.

Dave
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

I think Chinese Sword is my third favorite Yellow Belt technique. My second favorite is Twisting Talon. My very favorite is KNee of Vengence.

Thanks

What is your least favorite Yellow Belt technique?

Thanks

My least favorite Tracy's Yellow Belt technique has to be Kenpo Shield. It really doesn't add to the system in my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

This seems like it would be a good thread...wonder why there's not more replies? Oh well....

My favorite is "Delayed Sword" IMHO, it is a good, solid technique that can be easily adapted to deal with more than one type of attack. You can use it as a defense against the shoulder/lapel grab, but can also use it to defend a right punch (jab or hooking), or it can even be effective against a thrusting knife attack or a round club attack. It's simple, direct, and effective. IMHO-

I'm not familiar with Kenpo Shield...can you elaborate? Thanks!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Kenpo Shield is a defense against a right or left punch. You step back with your right foot, as your do an upward block with the left hand. leave the blocking arm where it is holding his punching arm, while you shoot a right punch to his body.

I don't like the idea of leaving my arm up holding his arm like that because it keeps my body exposed, and ties up my left arm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Kenpo Shield is a defense against a right or left punch. You step back with your right foot, as your do an upward block with the left hand. leave the blocking arm where it is holding his punching arm, while you shoot a right punch to his body.

I don't like the idea of leaving my arm up holding his arm like that because it keeps my body exposed, and ties up my left arm.
    ...hmmm...sounds like a "point-sparring" drill I used to do way-way back in the day when I studied TKD.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I use Kenpo Shield to demonstrate the difference between kenpo and karate. You can do an upward block and punch the chest, or you can drive your forearm thru your opponent's elbow and strike the solar plexus with an eagle's beak. The physical movment remains the same, but one version is kenpo, and one is Karate, empty hand.

I use it because it is found in so many other styles.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

My favorite is Kenpo shield. I am 5'6" so I kinda like it for a real tall attacker instead of the punch to the body it would go to the groin and
    blend into thundering hammers. If I get it right.
    I also love chinese sword too.
    Please.......don't confuse my kindness for weakness.....

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links