Thread: Greatest Fighter

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Greatest Fighter

Sometimes Joe Lewis is dubbed the greatest karate fighter of all time. He has certainly impacted Tracy Kenpo in a very real way. Several of my diplomas have his signature. What is his continuing legacy for Tracy Kenpo if any?
    Does the stuff we were taught years ago continue to make up a large part of our sparring curriculum? Or is it dated? Or is his connection to Tracy's historical curiosity?

Kenpo Gary

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Default Re: Greatest Fighter

I don't think Joe Lewis origonally trained with the Tracy system, I think he brought him in when his group was competing With Mr, Parkers group as a Big Gun. He was a great fighter,So was Benny Uquedes and Bill Wallace and Skipper Mullins,Chuck Norris and many great fighters of that Era. It would be very hard to pick a greatest fighter. I know I have left out a few. Sorry.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks

Steve "Nasty" Anderson was REAL good. And Billa Blanks, the Tae-Bo guy was quite talented as well. He would throw a thousand kicks per day wearing combat boots.

Everyone Sifu Roy mentioned are in the upper echelon as far as what I have read.

Although they should be listed as the Greatest Tournament/ sport Karate fighters of all time.

Professor Chow, Mas Oyama and others are the truly great fighters- PERIOD
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Back when I was a young Black Belt Joe would make regular visits to our schools to up date our fighting skills. I was fortunate enough to be his sparring partner (dummy) on a few occasions. Joe is by far the greatest fighter I have faced.

When you think of Joe you need to think of him as you would all the great innovators in history. Henry Ford changed the way all auto makers make cars, Ed Parker changed the way westerners looked at Martial Arts, Al Tracy changed the way we taught students and ran our business. And Joe Lewis changed the way we all fought.

So was he the greatest fighter of all time? I believe he was in the same respect that Muhammad Ali was, they changed their sport forever. Joe is not Kenpo, but he is part of the curriculum we continue to teach.

Steve “Nasty” Anderson was mentioned. Let’s follow the trail. Joe trained Dick Willett; Dick trained Orned ‘Chicken Gabriel. Chicken, along with Rey Leal, trained Steve Anderson ….. Would Steve have been the great fighter that he was if not for Joe?

Just something to consider.

David Hays

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhayskenpo View Post

Steve “Nasty” Anderson was mentioned. Let’s follow the trail. Joe trained Dick Willett; Dick trained Orned ‘Chicken Gabriel. Chicken, along with Rey Leal, trained Steve Anderson ….. Would Steve have been the great fighter that he was if not for Joe?

Attributing the skills of a fighter three instructional generations seperated from you is a bit silly. Just as silly as people saying the Joe Lewis' success was based on Bruce Lee's skills and ideas. A lot more goes into a fighter than just a curricullum or training method, if it was that simple one school would always win.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

So now I’m just silly???? You obviously missed my point.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

So now I’m just silly???? You obviously missed my point.

He did not say your were silly he said the hypothesis you put out was silly. Blindside may have missed the idea you tried to express or maye he got it and decided it was not sound logic. Either way I want the conversation kept polite.

Rob Broad
    KenpoTalk Global Moderator
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Joe is not Kenpo, but he is part of the curriculum we continue to teach.

Well put.

Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    A lot more goes into a fighter than just a curricullum or training method...Lamont
    I am not sure I agree with this statement, what more goes into the fighter than curriculum and training method? Genetics don't go into the fighter, they are the fighter. What comes out of the fighter is his natural ability plus his training method and curriculum. Seems to me his curriculum and training method is all that goes into the fighter.

Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post
    I am not sure I agree with this statement, what more goes into the fighter than curriculum and training method? Genetics don't go into the fighter, they are the fighter. What comes out of the fighter is his natural ability plus his training method and curriculum. Seems to me his curriculum and training method is all that goes into the fighter.

Kenpo Gary
    We are just thinking of it differently, I'm thinking of the "fighter" as an archtype, you are thinking of it as a particular individual.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    We are just thinking of it differently, I'm thinking of the "fighter" as an archtype, you are thinking of it as a particular individual.

I agree that I was thinking of it differently in precisely the manner you suggest. No fundamental disagreement when regarded as archtype.

Kenpo Gary

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post
    Sometimes Joe Lewis is dubbed the greatest karate fighter of all time. He has certainly impacted Tracy Kenpo in a very real way. Several of my diplomas have his signature. What is his continuing legacy for Tracy Kenpo if any?
    Does the stuff we were taught years ago continue to make up a large part of our sparring curriculum? Or is it dated? Or is his connection to Tracy's historical curiosity?
    I think that many of the newer generations are still learning Joe Lewis' stuff in regards to sparring, but it has become so ingrained now that nobody really knows it as Joe's stuff. I recall when I first started, reading Joe Lewis articles in magazines and thinking, "Yeah, I already know that." When I was told that much of our sparring curriculum had been designed by Joe, it made perfect sense.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    I think that many of the newer generations are still learning Joe Lewis' stuff in regards to sparring, but it has become so ingrained now that nobody really knows it as Joe's stuff.
    It is kind of like inventing something and applying for a patent, eventually the patent runs out and it becomes property of the public domain, yet, that doesn't change the fact that someone is to be credited as the originator or inventor.

Kenpo Gary

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hello,

I'm new here but I would have to say that "Nasty" Anderson's Abilities were influenced by many a fighters in his hay day he studied people and their fighting styles. He enjoyed Alvin Prouder, Dwain Maggot and Ray McCallum. He new his opponent better than they knew themselves.
    In some of the encounters he had with Billy Blanks he knew that he would have to be innovative in order to beat him. The dive punch he created won him many tournaments. He mastered the art of timing, broken rythm as it is so properly named. He could be eloquent with his techniques or he could brawl. I've seen him in action. Joe Lewis had his abilities to but I did not see him evolve like Steve did. Its my opinion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links