Thread: Using the obi Belt for self defense

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Using the obi Belt for self defense

In my art of Chinese Kenpo, the advanced training should carry principles of adaptability and being varsatile with your body and art!
    In the beginning of training you learned the basic concepts, and principles of Kenpo how to retreat from a opponent then block and strike, then advancing to blocking and striking at the sametime. Then into two handed Kenpo, where both sides of the body are simultaneously brought into motion. Where you first learned checking for anticipation of counter strikes and intricate techniques or attacks. In the intermedaite levels you learned Intricate footwork and hand combinations which moved you into the intermediate principles and concepts of Kenpo, vs. grabs, punches, and kicks.
    In advanced Kenpo you learned to utilize three to four strikes per technique, and learned further insight into kenpo concept's and principles. You began using various takedowns, and learned how to deal with a opponent while on the ground.
    The advanced phase taught you how to keep your hands and body moving in continual motion and you learned many defenses vs. opponent's with weapons; gun, knife, and clubs, and how to steal the weapons from the opponent and reversing then back against the attacker. Which brings me to this phase that not many practitioners practice or know much about.
    In the Chinese Kenpo I was taught. Your next stage was to learn how to use the Belt or a flexible weapon to defend with using the principles of Kenpo vs. an attacker who comes at you with punches, kicks weapons or grappling. You learned what to do if your opponent tries to counter you or grab onto your Belt, and tried to pull it away from you. It teaches you how to use the belt to defend yourself against a knife. It teaches you how to tie your opponent up in knots and render him defenseless. In this series of 5 belt techniques I will give you the first one, to wet your brain with. This should get you thinking about adding this to your Kenpo requirement's, or your method.
    Holding the Belt:
    There is a method of folding and holding the Kenpo Belt around your hands; You take the belt off, and fold it once in the middle. Now with both hands grabbing each end of the belt with the palms down. Begin by twisting your left and right hands around the belt once inside o outside. You should end up with your knuckles rapped, to protect them from injury, and as a striking punching weapon.
    Your defenses at long range; is letting go of one end and snapping the belt at the opponent, aiming at the face, weapon hand, groin?? from long range use it just like a whip. If grabbed you learn various ways to lock up the opponent with the belt.
    Close Range; you keep the two hand hold and use the middle of the belt to snap it into the face or to a thrusting attack, and punch, whatever??? The belt can move from a close range snapping strike to a long range whip very quickly.
    Grappling Range; you can wrap the wrist of the punch, by using the belt, and just looping it over any straight attack or thrust. You simply turn your right palm upwards and with your left palm downs, you use an inward block motion and loop it around anything coming straight at you. For hook punches and wide punches, you just use the belt as your position block absorb the force and wrap it up. With practice you can pretty much wrap anything coming at you.
    The first techniqueSlappling silk) knife thrust to body
    Using the belt with both palms facing downward slap the knife arm down, and then pull back the belt to your chest and slap/flick the face with the middle of the belt, then follow up with letting go of the left hand and whip the face, liken to; flicking a wet towel to the face, or move to close range and tie them up!

The Kenpo Belt techniques:
    Slapping Silk
    Twisting rope
    Wrapping gift
    Double knot
    Hang man
    I have developed many more of my own from the basic principles and concept's of Chinese Kenpo

Thanks

Default Re: Using the obi Belt for self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Nubreed View Post
    The first techniqueSlappling silk) knife thrust to body
    Using the belt with both palms facing downward slap the knife arm down, and then pull back the belt to your chest and slap/flick the face with the middle of the belt, then follow up with letting go of the left hand and whip the face, liken to; flicking a wet towel to the face, or move to close range and tie them up!

The Kenpo Belt techniques:
    Slapping Silk
    Twisting rope
    Wrapping gift
    Double knot
    Hang man
    I have developed many more of my own from the basic principles and concept's of Chinese Kenpo
    With Slapping Silk, after the downward slap to the thumb, try an insert. Extend the thumb on your left hand like you are hitching a ride, then insert it under the opponent's wrist and bring it up so that it is pointing vertically and slightly pronating the opponent's wrist, the right hand is rolling back toward you, with the belt laying over the back/side of the blade, then push your right hand downward in the general direction of the opponent's groin. The rolling motion, pulling with the left, pushing with the right, with the blade as the fulcrum, should act as an effective disarm. Continue the tech as usual.

Incidentally we know many of the same people, I am a student of Jim Dean and Jared Wihongi.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

These are some interesting techniques and I have found some very interesting options available when trying to execute them empty-handed.

I saw Mark Tracy once teaching the techniques with the option of using one's jacket rather than a belt. That was cool.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

I've considered using my obi to choke someone with in the event it comes loose during a jujitsu or judo grappling match. But, that's just me being sadistic.

I think it would be rather interesting to learn to use a common, leather belt in similar ways as you have described here. Very interesing, indeed.
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    I've considered using my obi to choke someone with in the event it comes loose during a jujitsu or judo grappling match. But, that's just me being sadistic.

I think it would be rather interesting to learn to use a common, leather belt in similar ways as you have described here. Very interesing, indeed.
    At one point I was choked out by my pony tail, does that count? One of the reasons I have short hair now....

You might want to check out some of the flexible weapon work from some of the Filipino systems. James Keating has good material on use of a bandana, I haven't seen the video, but the material in person was pretty good.

Lamont

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

In our school we not only use the obi, but a regular belt for street clothes, try to fling the buckle at the imaginary opponent.

Kenpo Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I know there is alot of other systems out there with the same concepts of movement such as the Filipino and Indonesian arts. But it is not Chinese Kenpo Principles and concepts, know what I mean? It's what you can do with your knowledge of the Kenpo arts and use what is there, everything is in there. You just have to research all the principles of movement and adapt it to whatever is in your hand at the time. Nubreed
    Sigung Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do
    Train the way you fight and fight the way you train! http://nubreedma.multiply.com/
    Accumulation of knowledge and hacking away at the unessential is not a product, but a process. It is a continual process that lasts our entire lives. We are contantly accumulating and eliminating. Then again accumulating and eliminating.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

We use many Belt techniques. We also Studied Lua with Grandmaster Soloman Kaliwalu and they have many very dangerous Belt techniques.
    Enjoyed working with him very much. A great Instructor!!!

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks

Are you using a traditional obi for the techniques or a modern belt you would actually be wearing today?
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    Are you using a traditional obi for the techniques or a modern belt you would actually be wearing today?
    We practice these with cut up peices of obi in the studio, simply because they are around and they are easy. I mentioned before the bandanna, but I've also used a flexible leather or a web belt. I will say that the belt that I normally wear absolutely sucks for flexible weapon work because it has a polymer insert to make it stiffer.

Lamont

~William Drummond

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (12-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Good question Martin. I need that clairification as well.

By the way ( Whats up with you)?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (12-06-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    We practice these with cut up peices of obi in the studio, simply because they are around and they are easy. I mentioned before the bandanna, but I've also used a flexible leather or a web belt. I will say that the belt that I normally wear absolutely sucks for flexible weapon work because it has a polymer insert to make it stiffer.

Lamont
    So I wonder how the techniques would apply to a belt the average joe may have in his closet?
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Good question Martin. I need that clairification as well.

By the way ( Whats up with you)?
    Been on the mat brother ... with limited time something had to give.

Ill be in and out, thanks for asking my friend.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Been on the mat brother ... with limited time something had to give.

Ill be in and out, thanks for asking my friend.
    Take care Brother
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (12-06-2007)

Thanks

So I wonder how the techniques would apply to a belt the average joe may have in his closet?
    It would be fine, my normal wear belt is designed for carrying a pistol, which is why it has a polymer stiffner. A normal belt works great.

Lamont

~William Drummond

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (12-06-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links