Thread: Constipated Moves

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Constipated Moves

I am merely thinking out loud about constipated moves as being those that tense prematurely slowing the technique. And I ask myself the question are there such things as intentional constipated moves within the Tracy system?

If these do exist, what is there purpose? Now I am thinking in particular about the Tiger & Crane form, with the opening sequences with the extended index finger heel palm strikes done with isometric tension.

Are these not intentional constipated movements ? What then is there purpose? Obviously muscle mass, strength building and body hardening are goals and outcomes to be achieved. But what about speed?

I am convinced that all my techniques become faster when I train this kata with high repetitions.

Perhaps it works like the doughnut thing that is placed on the end of a baseball bat when warming up in the on deck circle?

If so these movements could be categorized as constipated but with purpose.

Kenpo Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

Default Re: Constipated Moves

I don't particularly like the term "constipated" moves, but if that works for you, so be it.

Dynamic tension exercises, such as are found in the opening sequences of Fu-Hok, are fairly common in Chinese martial arts. They act to develop power and harden the body.

It is important to do them correctly, or they can actually be dangerous to your health, in the long term. If done a lot, over a long period of time, they can contribute to high blood pressure and heart disease. It's been said that Hung Gar masters don't live to an old age. Of course there are always exceptions...

Proper breathing is very important. Make sure to exhale during the tension portions of the movement. DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH. Some proponents of holding your breath during the tension, then exhaling sharply at the termination of the movement, claim it builds power faster. That may be true, but it contributes more heavily to the health problems I mentioned before.

The speed of the movement can be fairly quick, or slower, while maintaining the dynamic tension. You can vary it a fair amount and still be correct. Just do it in tandem with the breathing rythm.

in my opinion, this kind of dynamic tension exercise can be beneficial, when done regularly but in moderation, and without holding your breath. Tempering it with softer exercises, such as a regimen of tai chi chuan, is also a good idea. I always finish my private training sessions with about 15 minutes of tai chi forms.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post

Dynamic tension exercises,... act to develop power and harden the body.
    It is important to do them correctly, or they can actually be dangerous to your health, in the long term. Proper breathing is very important. Make sure to exhale during the tension portions of the movement. DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH.
    Thanks for the tips on breathing and on tai chi chuan.

Kenpo Gary

Thanks

You are welcome, Gary. I've been fortunate to have had a couple of very good instructors in the Chinese arts, and that has had a strong impact on how I see things and how I practice.
    Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,275 Posts

Are these not intentional constipated movements ? What then is there purpose? Obviously muscle mass, strength building and body hardening are goals and outcomes to be achieved. But what about speed?
    In reading your definition of "constipated moves", it sounds as if you are talking about unintentionally tensing and slowing of the movements. Much like a beginner trying to "muscle" a technique to make it more fast or powerful while in reality doing the opposite.

As far as the moves in Tiger/Crane and purposely tensing the arms while doing the movement I see differently because the tensing is 1) intentional and 2) is done for a specific reason. In many Hung Gar forms the begining portions are done with dynamic tension, and even have a whole set devoted to this practice. In Hung Gar, it is called Iron Wire and in many Okinawan styles there is a similiar kata called Sanchin.

In general the tensing of the muscles is used to train the external body by making the muscles and connective tissues stronger, which in turn does make a technique faster and more powerful as you learn to properly use your body and muscles. As it pertains to whole body, as in Sanchin, it is used to develop rooted stances using the legs/feet to generate power from an infighting range. It also, helps to condition the body by learning to absorb blows and strikes to it. Many proponents of Sanchin also claim that it is great for developing internal energy.

When doing dynamic tension you should breath as you would during any strenuous exercise. That is, inhale while "preparing" the strike, and exhaling while tensing during the strike. You do not want to hold the breath as it can create the Valsalva Manuever which causes you to pass out (many lifters die and are injured each year while holding their breath and getting crushed under the weight). The medical study I have read conducted by the navy (don't have it handy for the specific, if needed I can try and find it for reference) showed that dynamic tension had no more an effect on blood pressure than strenuous exercise did. So if you already have high blood pressure it could be harmful, but then any stressful exercise could as well.

It's almost a paradox though, when training dynamic tension you tense the muscle so hard that it is easy to relax it. So you can learn to relax the muscles that don't need to be overly tense (I this phrase for the people that always point out if you are completly relaxed you would just be laying on the floor) to have a fast strike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post
    I am merely thinking out loud about constipated moves as being those that tense prematurely slowing the technique. And I ask myself the question are there such things as intentional constipated moves within the Tracy system?

If these do exist, what is there purpose? Now I am thinking in particular about the Tiger & Crane form, with the opening sequences with the extended index finger heel palm strikes done with isometric tension.

I am convinced that all my techniques become faster when I train this kata with high repetitions.

Perhaps it works like the doughnut thing that is placed on the end of a baseball bat when warming up in the on deck circle?

If so these movements could be categorized as constipated but with purpose.

Kenpo Gary
    Without knowing a whole lot about Tracy's Kenpo I would venture that the individual practitioner is either guilty or not guilty of being constipated in his motion. To suggest the system itself teaches you to be constipated is constipated thinking to say the least. Man.... I shouldn't have been chasing popcorn with jelly beans!
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    The medical study I have read conducted by the navy (don't have it handy for the specific, if needed I can try and find it for reference) showed that dynamic tension had no more an effect on blood pressure than strenuous exercise did. So if you already have high blood pressure it could be harmful, but then any stressful exercise could as well.
    I believe this is true so long as you do not hold your breath. I've heard of studies, tho I haven't read them myself, that if you hold your breath while compacting the abdoment thru dynamic tension, that has been shown to cause a potentially dangerous spike in blood pressure.

I think overall it is a safe and effective practice so long as you breath thru it, and I also believe a certain approach of moderation is a good idea. It's a good thing to include in your training, just don't become too focused on it as the main or only thing you do in your training, even if you are breathing properly.
    Michael

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links